Children partaking of the Sacrament? Mocking?

lizzy16

In the Book or Mormon Mormon rebukes those that think that baptism of little children is required.  Calling it a mockery... note his rebuke was not to the kids but to the adults who were misguided.

In the New Testament the disciples tried to forbid little children from coming to Christ.  These disciples were not being anti-kid.  They had heard and understood Christ's words that little children were alive in him and did not need to.  So they were probably trying to let those that needed him take priority.  The Lord rebuked his disciples and told them to let the little children come.

It seems clear that little kids do not need the sacrament...  it also seems clear that the Lord is totally OK with little kids approaching him anyways.  It seems the only sinners in this case are the adults who either think the kids must take the sacrament or that they must not take.    

Edited by estradling75

13 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

In the New Testament the disciples tried to forbid little children from coming to Christ.  These disciples were not being anti-kid.  They had heard and understood Christ's words that little children were alive in him and did not need to.  So they were probably trying to let those that needed him take priority.  The Lord rebuked his disciples and told them to let the little children come.

Because of this scripture many have come to believe that children encompass that which is essential for the Kingdom of heaven – it is my opinion that in so doing they have completely misunderstood the scriptures.  I believe Jesus was referring to himself and his love of children and his willingness to have little children around him so he could care for them.  I believe he is giving the saints a clue about understanding what the residents of the kingdom of heaven is really like and are shaped by their attitudes towards children.

The Traveler

44 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

In the Book or Mormon Mormon rebukes those that think that baptism of little children is required.  Calling it a mockery... note his rebuke was not to the kids but to the adults who were misguided.

It seems clear that little kids do not need the sacrament...  it also seems clear that the Lord is totally OK with little kids approaching him anyways.  It seems the only sinners in this case are the adults who either think the kids must take the sacrament or that they must not take.    

In a similar vein, children under the age of eight do not need a temple recommend to enter the temple and be sealed to their parents. It seems that those who are of the kingdom of heaven (i.e. those who have not reached the age or state of accountability) have a sort of natural right to participate in the activities of the kingdom of God (i.e. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) without legal instruments such as a temple recommend. Children have no need of sacrament, so the ordinance is superfluous for them; but if they want to partake, surely Christ would welcome them.

A much stronger argument can be made to exclude non-baptized persons from taking the sacrament. But as this is a well-settled point, even in the handbook, it's moot at best.

Here is a problem for the forum - what about that child with severe gluten allergies.  Should special "crackers" be included in the sacrament just for and exclusively for that child that is not 8 or baptized?  Even if on occasion the child does not participate or for some reason does not feel comfortable participating? 

Is it possible that an adult that would make such a child feel uncomfortable for participating less worthy to participate than the child?

The Traveler

Once we start talking about possibilities that someone might make someone feel uncomfortable, I lose interest.  It's a red flag that we are departing the realm of principled thought, headed towards virtue-signaling SJW snowflake land.   (Makes me wonder what's up, because Traveler is sort of the opposite of all that...)

That said, my ward already does the gluten free bread, so it wouldn't be an issue.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Here is a problem for the forum - what about that child with severe gluten allergies.  Should special "crackers" be included in the sacrament just for and exclusively for that child that is not 8 or baptized?  Even if on occasion the child does not participate or for some reason does not feel comfortable participating? 

If there are gluten-allergic people already receiving the sacrament using special, gluten-free bread, then as NT says, the problem is solved. If the child is the only gluten-sensitive individual in the congregation, I don't understand the harm in including something for him, even if he doesn't actually "need" the sacrament. This is based on my earlier reasoning about those in the kingdom of heaven having a natural right blah blah blah.

On 4/16/2012 at 2:50 PM, lizzy16 said:

Do you think children partaking of the sacrament is kind of a mockery? They don't have anything to repent of, nor do they understand.

“People tend to become that which they imitate.” CS Lewis

Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.”  Proverbs 22:6

It is not mockery, it’s our being obedient to the Lord. 

On April 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM, lizzy16 said:

So, I know that the Sacrament is very sacred. And there's no point in taking it if you haven't repented of anything. I often times just take the sacrament and treat it very very lightly. It's my goal to be more respectful of the sacredness of the sacrament. Growing up I don't think I ever really understand the Sacrament very well. Maybe because it was such a pattern in my life. I didn't get the meaning.

Do you think children partaking of the sacrament is kind of a mockery? They don't have anything to repent of, nor do they understand.

I think if children after they turned 8 were told they could take the sacrament, and explain it even more. It might help them to understand the sacredness of it.

What are your thoughts?

Liz

Partaking of the Sacrament by those prior to baptismal age is not mockery, as they cannot partake of it unworthy. It is a mockery for the unrepentant to do so. Having said that, no one can be sinless but the very young, but we are expected (required) to make every effort. The Sacrament is also a teaching tool, a reason why we don't warehouse our children during this most important meeting, as do other Faiths. 

Edited by Bill "Papa" Lee

On 7/10/2018 at 10:51 AM, Traveler said:

Is it possible that an adult that would make such a child feel uncomfortable for participating less worthy to participate than the child?

The Traveler

I keep a bag of smarties in my office in preparation for the day that our young men fail to notice that we are out of our gluten free substitute.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:09 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Once we start talking about possibilities that someone might make someone feel uncomfortable, I lose interest.  It's a red flag that we are departing the realm of principled thought, headed towards virtue-signaling SJW snowflake land.   (Makes me wonder what's up, because Traveler is sort of the opposite of all that...)

That said, my ward already does the gluten free bread, so it wouldn't be an issue.  

Our priests include a little bowl of rice Chex in every sacrament bread tray.