Church attitude towards Gays.

circusboy01

I have heard that the Church has a ( i guess) friendlier attitude towards Gays.

Can anybody tell me more about this, and what has changed.

Please understand. This is not meant to be a put down in any way, shape, or form.

I always wondered why Gays and Lesbians wanted to be members of the Church. After all they could never reach the Highest Degree of Glory,because the can't have a Temple marriage

It says that some who do not make the highest degree of glory. will become Angels. If they are willing to live by the true Gospel knowing the highest Glory they might ever reach is that of an Angel. Then they have nothing but praise from me.

On the other hand I also thought of this. I've heard talks about Sisters who don't find husbands in this life. If they are worthy, a mate will be provided for them in the spirit world.

Then, hopefully Some one will go to the Temple and have a Temple marriage in their name.

I asked my Bishop about it. I said that's great for the sisters, but what about me? I'm 60

(this was 5 years ago) not married and probably never will be. He said the same thing would go for me. If I'm worthy a mate will be provided.

Now back to Gay members of the Church. I wonder if perhaps the desire to be Gay or Lesbian will leave them

once the get to the spirit world, and they too can be provided with worthy mates

Does anyone think there is a chance that might be possible? Brother Ray

Edited by circusboy01

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a jillion threads here that answer your question.

But, let me just tell you my plain and simple direct answer. Nobody on this earth is qualified to say who is or isn't worthy of Celestial Glory. That would be the job of the Father and the Son on judgement day.

What we are to do is to align our lives single to the glory of God with a sincere, humble, and constant desire to seek and follow truth, according to our abilities and according to our understanding. Anything else lacking we leave up to the Atonement of Christ.

But, let me just tell you my plain and simple direct answer. Nobody on this earth is qualified to say who is or isn't worthy of Celestial Glory. That would be the job of the Father and the Son on judgement day.

What we are to do is to align our lives single to the glory of God with a sincere, humble, and constant desire to seek and follow truth, according to our abilities and according to our understanding. Anything else lacking we leave up to the Atonement of Christ.

Didn't mean to offend. I was just going by what we are taught. That you cannot reach the highest degree of Glory, unless you have been married in the Temple.

We are also taught that those who did not have the opportunity for a temple marriage in this life, through no fault of their own, will lose out on none of the eternal blessings associated with temple marriage.

That is true, and the reason they won't lose out on these blessings, is because a mate will be provided for them in the Spirit world.

I have a problem with the 'a mate will be provided' bit. Wouldnt it be more accurate to say that they would have an opportunity to find a spouse after death? Being provided seems to suggest they will just be allotted a random worthy mate.

Posted Image

Countless prophets have told us plainly since the days of Adam and especially Nephite prophets what is required to obtain salvation in the celestial kingdom. Nephi couldn't have explained it more simply and plainly (principles AND ordinances). Think "and my father dwelt in a tent." There's a reason why Nephi built a temple in the promised land.

I have a problem with the 'a mate will be provided' bit. Wouldnt it be more accurate to say that they would have an opportunity to find a spouse after death? Being provided seems to suggest they will just be allotted a random worthy mate.

An answer will be provided.

This one's yours.

Now back to Gay members of the Church. I wonder if perhaps the desire to be Gay or Lesbian will leave them

once the get to the spirit world, and they too can be provided with worthy mates

I reckon the desire will leave them. The desire is probably only an earthly, mortal one. I'm only speculating, of course. Isn't that fun to do sometimes?

Someone once told me that because the power of procreation is so sacred and meant to be employed only between a man and a woman lawfully wed, and because this sacred covenant of marriage is a requirement for entry into the highest degree of glory...

That those who do not make it to this degree of glory will lose any and all sexual desire or drive that they had while in this life. That they will not even look upon anyone with any feeling of desire to procreate.

This statement was most certainly that person's speculation, since again- this is something for which we do not yet have the answers. Yet, I think this seems to be rather fitting.

This type of comment annoys me. Not everyone has been on this forum for years. And I haven't seen a search function that could be used to find topics. I don't see any problem with starting a new thread about a topic that has been discussed many times before :)

This type of comment annoys me. Not everyone has been on this forum for years. And I haven't seen a search function that could be used to find topics. I don't see any problem with starting a new thread about a topic that has been discussed many times before :)

Google.com

site:lds.net gay

I've always found forum search functions lacking anyways.

It very well could be that way. It seems to make more sense than just " A mate will be provided." But " A mate will be provided was how it was told to me."

However. If it was God, or Jesus picking out a wife for me, I feel quite positive that I would be happy with the decision. After all they don't make mistakes.

So you are assuming that in the afterlife you will also be gay?

How do you know that?

That is assuming that someone can be born 'gay' and not develop the trait through childhood. That assumption may be totally wrong.

I was born at a time when homosexuality was still illegal and quite frankly, I wish it had stayed that way

How do you know that?

The OP actually wrote "Now back to Gay members of the Church. I wonder if perhaps the desire to be Gay or Lesbian will leave them once the get to the spirit world, and they too can be provided with worthy mates" so it sounds like he is thinking the opposite might be true - that same-sex attraction will go away.

Timpman, READ MY POST AGAIN. I know exactly that the OP is new to this forum, hence, I pointed out that this topic has been discussed here plenty of times before in case he wants to read up on them. Where in my post did I say, "You shouldn't open up a new thread on this because there are a lot of them open already"? And if that doesn't convince you, if you notice, I answered the OPs question.

If I was really snarky, I'd say your post - the type that jump to their own conclusions without reading posts properly - really annoys me. But then, I don't care enough about internet forums to let it get under my skin.

Countless prophets have told us plainly since the days of Adam and especially Nephite prophets what is required to obtain salvation in the celestial kingdom. Nephi couldn't have explained it more simply and plainly (principles AND ordinances). Think "and my father dwelt in a tent." There's a reason why Nephi built a temple in the promised land.

Yes. We know the requirements for Celestrial Glory. But, we are not judge and jury for everyone to enter it or not. I wouldn't be at all surprised when judgement day comes and Ghandi and Mother Theresa, both unmarried on earth walk into the Celestial Mansion. Just like I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Brigham Young, sealed to several spouses, gets barred from it. This is simply not something we are qualified to judge.

We know what we have to do for our own glory by virtue of our own testimonies. Our job is to aid in everyone else's search for truth - not shove it at their faces and breathe fire and damnation over their souls if they don't "get" it.

Just like I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Brigham Young, sealed to several spouses, gets barred from it..

Brigham Young was one of the most amazing men and spiritual giants ever to walk this earth. If celestial glory has any meaning that even dimly approximates what I believe, I will be shocked beyond measure if Brigham Young is not a part of it.

Timpman, READ MY POST AGAIN. I know exactly that the OP is new to this forum, hence, I pointed out that this topic has been discussed here plenty of times before in case he wants to read up on them. Where in my post did I say, "You shouldn't open up a new thread on this because there are a lot of them open already"? And if that doesn't convince you, if you notice, I answered the OPs question.

If I was really snarky, I'd say your post - the type that jump to their own conclusions without reading posts properly - really annoys me. But then, I don't care enough about internet forums to let it get under my skin.

I'm really sorry.

How do you know that?

That is assuming that someone can be born 'gay' and not develop the trait through childhood. That assumption may be totally wrong.

I was born at a time when homosexuality was still illegal and quite frankly, I wish it had stayed that way

I'm sorry. You must have misread my Post. I said nothing about the Afterlife being Gay. I don't, for one second, believe that.

Hasn't it been said that the same state of mind that posses you here will not change upon death, but you will remain the same.

Yeah, I think Alma makes that point. But there have to be limits to that--otherwise manic depressives will still be manic depressives, kleptomaniacs will still be kleptomaniacs, etc.

Some traits are part of our eternal identity. Others are simply part of our fallen natures.