Blood Sugar, Diabetes

Hala401

I have this problem that after I eat, within an hour or so, I feel really weak and tired. I have had fasting blood tests that show no diabetes. Maybe fasting test is not the right one?

So, I notice that blood sugar test kits are cheap, and wonder if I should just buy my own and take blood sugar test when I feel weak and awful.

So, can someone tell me what meter is cheap and good?

I have this problem that after I eat, within an hour or so, I feel really weak and tired. I have had fasting blood tests that show no diabetes. Maybe fasting test is not the right one?

So, I notice that blood sugar test kits are cheap, and wonder if I should just buy my own and take blood sugar test when I feel weak and awful.

So, can someone tell me what meter is cheap and good?

WalMart has ReliOn Ultima meter for about $9.00 and a box of their testing strips (20 in a box) for a little over $8.00. These are over the counter prices. I use AccuChek Compact Plus, my monitor was free- my strips cost $59.24 for three drums/51 test strips. My out of pocket expense is $20.00 with my insurance. I get my meds from Walgreen's Mail Order- so I get three months for the cost of 2 months. I also test 5 X a day, so I need to get 7 boxes for a 3 month period, my cost is $40.00- my insurance pays $349.95. At Walgreen's the AccuChek monitor is on sale for $15.99, the testing strips are $77.99 for a box of 3 drums/51 strips! Once you "open" a drum, it must be used within one month. The box of 100 lancets for AccuChek are OTC and cost anywhere from $12.00 to $19.00 depending on the store. Have to have lancets to test the blood.

A trip to the Dr for a blood workup - and then a follow up when the blood results come in should let you know either way. Let the Dr know exactly why you are requesting the blood workup. Make note of the foods you eat and the drinks you consume prior to feeling weak and tired. Then tell the Dr.

I am diabetic - Type 2. If I eat a sweet with my meal (cake, cookie, sweetened pudding, ice cream, etc.) and my meal is a balanced one and equals 45 grams of carbs, then I will get hot flash/sweats, and feel weak, and sometimes nod off asleep. I can do sweets as long as it is made with Splenda- then I am fine. Also fresh oranges and bananas are too high in natural sugars for me. I love them, but I have to be careful to eat them with other foods that will help to regulate the sugars, like proteins.

I'm diabetic as well. No pasta, very little rice or just a bit of potato. A whole potato or a plate of spaghetti will have me nodding out like a heroin addict. You can try the meter and see if you are spiking after meals that are high in carbs. You may need to control your carb intake.

Hala, I wouldn't test yourself. You need to see your doctor. Other signs of diabetes is your your persperation and urine will sometimes smell sweet. Why do you think its diabetes and not something else? Is there a history in your family? A fasting blood sugar level is a good test.

To find out what is really wrong patients usually need more than one "test." Because of age and gender you need a complete blood work panel.

What you've described could very easily be hypoglycemia but those system are also present in hypothyroidism, which is the leading undiagnosed problem among women in the USA. The thyroid is usually tested with TSH (blood levels of thyroid hormone) but this test is often misleading. You can test normal and still have a problem. Your doctor needs to check not just your thyroid but your adrenal function, too.

Only if you're diabetic should you avoid simple carbohydrates completely. There are good carbs and bad carbs. Bad carbs are Sugar, Frutocse (really bad for you), glucose, etc. Good carbs are often pasta, potatoes, veggies.

If I was in your situation, before buying a blood sugar monitor I would first see my doctor for the work up. Then I'd just cut sugars out of my diet as much as possible (read labels) and eat healthy (veggies, good lean protein such as fish, chicken, lean meat, beans, eggs) and get the good fats (olive oil, coconut oil) and make sure I'm exercising. Exercise isn't about burning calories. You can't exercise enough to burn the calories we eat every day. Exercise is good because it reduces stress and it increases cortisol levels... then our bodies use our calories and don't store them and we have more energy.

Addition: Make sure you're getting enough fiber!

I wish you all the best. I have websites and videos that might be helpful. Send me a message if you're interested. Or just google... :)

Also ... I learned a lot from the following video:

"When God made the poison he packaged it with the antidote" -- Dr. Robert H. Lustig

Edited by applepansy

Frutocse (really bad for you)

Why is fructose in particular really bad for you (compared to the other sugars listed)? Glucose can be directed utilized by the body, so it has the highest glycemic index. So if the appellation of (really bad for you) was to be attached to one of those three sugars I would expect it to be glucose.

Sucrose GI: 64

Fructose GI: 19

Glucose GI: 100

I suppose it may not be a GI issue though.

Edited by Dravin

Why is fructose in particular really bad for you (compared to the other sugars listed)? Glucose can be directed utilized by the body, so it has the highest glycemic index. So if the appellation of (really bad for you) was to be attached to one of those three sugars I would expect it to be glucose.

Sucrose GI: 64

Fructose GI: 19

Glucose GI: 100

I suppose it may not be a GI issue though.

Because the body doesn't use it like it uses Glucose. Watch the video

I had the same problem for years and doctors never did pay any attention when I asked. I noticed if I ate something like pancakes with syrup I was completely out of it. Same thing happened when the docs did the long glucose tests with all the icky bottles of syrup you haave to drink. They said it was not unusual and I did not test out for diabetes. I do have hypothyroidism though which they never tested for at that time.

I found that if I drank milk, only milk because nothing else worked, immediately it would stop or nearly stop the symptoms. Along with just not eating things that make me feel icky I managed fine.

Eventually I did get diabetes 2. Now I get the same feeling when my blood sugar drops under a 100. Only think I can figure is, before, when I ate something that made me feel dizzy, arms like lead, pass out to sleep, etc., the sugars would spike me then drop me like a lead balloon. The milk brought it back up to normal. Now I might take a glucose tablet and a glass of milk.

Eventually I did get diabetes 2. Now I get the same feeling when my blood sugar drops under a 100. Only think I can figure is, before, when I ate something that made me feel dizzy, arms like lead, pass out to sleep, etc., the sugars would spike me then drop me like a lead balloon. The milk brought it back up to normal. Now I might take a glucose tablet and a glass of milk.

Normal range for blood glucose levels is from 60-90. 90-110 is normal. When I hit 60 or less is when I am extremely weak, shaky and need the sugar boost. Glucose tabletS- 3 of them is what you are to take, or 4 to 6 oz of regular soda, or a candy bar, or 4-6 oz of regular OJ.

Anna, do you inject insulin? If you are dropping when your levels are 100 or less, then you just may need to up your insulin by a few units. I'd check with my Dr in any case.

Pancakes w/ butter & syrup is not a balanced meal. Way too much carbs and no protein. Eggs are not counted as protein for a diabetic. It is counted as fat. 5mg of fat. If you have one serving of ham and then some fresh fruit along with one serving of pancakes, syrup made with stevia or splenda or jam made with stevia or splenda or no added sweetener, then you shouldn't experience the dropsy aka nodding off.

Applepansy, Thank You, Thank You, T H A N K Y O U !! for your post. Complex carbs are good for you. They make your body work for the sugar. The proteins and fiber regulate the process and delivery of the sugars aka fuel to the organs that need it.

Once I realized that Diabetes - uncontrolled- damages EVERY internal organ, I took my diabetes more seriously. I have been to the two day seminars hosted by my Dr's clinic- and taught by the Diabetic Nutritionist. What an eye opener! The second one my husband attended with me- so he could understand why I never bought Low Fat foods, or even low sugar (most times there is fructose and the carbs are still too high) foods. Also I am careful of the processed foods. Frozen dinners, snacks, etc.

Hala, go to the Dr and get a complete blood work up. No sense in you purchasing a meter and strips until it is absolutely necessary.

Because the body doesn't use it like it uses Glucose. Watch the video

At the very least give me a time index. And it goes without saying your body doesn't use it like glucose, your body doesn't use any sugar like glucose.

Edited by Dravin

We are mostly vegetarian, but do eat some meat. I will check out the connection to pasta.

Thank you.

I was vegan for 3 years in an effort to control my diabetes. I finally learned that I could not control my blood sugars while eating heaps of rice and beans and frankenfoods. Theoretically, one was supposed to be able to eat whatever one wanted, as long as it was vegan, but for me, it just never worked out. Eating a lot of fake 'meats' from soy, and often breaded and with a bunch of carbs, also didn't seem healthy, yet that was advocated as well, so that you wouldn't miss the meat.

See if you have the same feelings after eating what they call the 'white carbs' - that includes milk, if you drink it, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, and of course, cookies and cakes.

I'm all for a veg*n diet, and am still political about animal welfare, but for some of this stuff, I think you need to be a 20 yr old with no health problems for it to work right.

After 3 years without it, I gotta say that a real burger, from local Iowa beef, is a beautiful thing. :D

Corn is a grain domesticated by indigenous peoples in Mesoamerica in prehistoric times. The leafy stalk produces ears which contain seeds called kernels. Though technically a grain, maize kernels are used in cooking as a vegetable or starch. (from Wikipedia).

It is high in carbs, as are peas, has very low dietary fiber and should be counted as carbs. If you are also eating potatoes, then eat a non starchy veggie.

At the very least give me a time index. And it goes without saying your body doesn't use it like glucose, your body doesn't use any sugar like glucose.

Fructose is stored in the liver and causes liver disease. The only way to get fructose out of the liver is with hormones.

Time? Is STAYS in your liver until you actively get it out.

Time? Is STAYS in your liver until you actively get it out.

You misunderstand. I was asking for a time index for the ~1.5 hour video, at what time it actually addresses my question, you wanted me to watch to find the answer to my question.

You misunderstand. I was asking for a time index for the ~1.5 hour video, at what time it actually addresses my question, you wanted me to watch to find the answer to my question.

Yes I did misunderstand. Sorry. I don't know. I found the whole video informative and worth watching. It explains how all sugars are used by the body, not just glucose or fructose.

Yes I did misunderstand. Sorry. I don't know. I found the whole video informative and worth watching. It explains how all sugars are used by the body, not just glucose or fructose.

It's fine, you explained my question well enough for my purposes. Primarily one talks GI when talking about sugars and fructose is the best within that context, your response clarified it's not a GI index issue but something else. With what you supplied I was able to dig up this: Is fructose bad for you? - Harvard Health Publications

Which actually references the author of the video you linked to (it also links to the same video).