Falling to Heaven

Connie

Falling to Heaven: The Surprising Path to Happiness by James Ferrell.

This is such a great book! He debunks the worldly ideas of "up-ness," namely, the ideas that one should love oneself, that guilt is a bad thing and that one can forgive oneself.

You should all read it and see what you think.

This is such a great book! He debunks the worldly ideas of "up-ness," namely, the ideas that one should love oneself, that guilt is a bad thing and that one can forgive oneself.

Is that supposed to be parsed as:

1) The idea of 'up-ness' is that one should love oneself, that guilt is bad, and that one can forgive oneself.

Or

2) He debunks by discussing that one should love oneself, that guilt is a bad thing, and that one can forgive one's self.

Apple: I liked it better than The Peacegiver, and that's saying something. But then i liked The Holy Secret too, so your mileage may vary. But i definitely like it best of the three.

Dravin: I guess you'll just have to read it and find out. ;)

I'm confused, too. If he says one thing, I'm not interested in reading it, because I find it really important to love oneself, to forgive oneself, and that while remorse is a necessary part of repentance, guilt can be counterproductive and even destructive.

Or not, I'm quite content to live my days without knowing which idea the book is trying to communicate.

Your loss. Though it makes one wonder why you would ask in the first place.

I'm confused, too. If he says one thing, I'm not interested in reading it, because I find it really important to love oneself, to forgive oneself, and that while remorse is a necessary part of repentance, guilt can be counterproductive and even destructive.

“Neither despise, nor oppose, what thou dost not understand.” -William Penn

If you will not take the effort to read and understand his arguments, then all i can say is.. good luck arguing against them.

Your loss. Though it makes one wonder why you would ask in the first place.

My curiosity, such as it is, is about what it is you are saying because it isn't immediately clear how to parse your one sentence synopsis. Also, you're kinda confusing being mildly curious with not being content if one doesn't have an answer to something.

Sheesh. If that's the kind of long-suffering, charitable attitude he is teaching, I'll pass.

How exactly were you reading my comment to squeeze that interpretation out of it? If one doesn't understand an argument, one can't very well argue against it. I thought it was a pretty obvious statement completely devoid of feeling.

My curiosity, such as it is, is about what it is you are saying because it isn't immediately clear how to parse your one sentence synopsis. Also, you're kinda confusing being mildly curious with not being content if one doesn't have an answer to something.

Okay. I will try to be more clear in the future.

How exactly were you reading my comment to squeeze that interpretation out of it? If one doesn't understand an argument, one can't very well argue against it. I thought it was a pretty obvious statement completely devoid of feeling.

Because your statement isn't clear. I still don't know what it is you are trying to say in your OP.

Sorry. Others seem to understand what i said. I thought what i said was pretty clear. Eowyn, at least, seems to get it because she had the same initial reaction i had.

I read the introduction of this book, and i said no way is this guy right. I'm gonna read this book and absolutely hate it, but at least then i will be able to argue against it. Instead i found myself agreeing with every concept.

I would be absolutely delighted to read any comments from anyone who has read this book, hated it and can tell me where and why they think he is wrong.