Praying before Fasting?

Anon16

I have read that you need to pray before starting a fast. Is it the same as a normal prayer, essentially letting heavenly Father know you are fasting and why, or is there something some format I'm not getting? I want to fast properly but am not sure how.

Thank you

The Nephite and Lamanite saints prayed and fasted often and for many reasons/occasions. I usually begin a fast with a prayer and a plea, if I am fasting for a specific reason. I keep this reason in the forefront of my thoughts throughout the fast. If I am fasting for someone, I think of that person often and even make sure to help if needed. Someone may be sick and need dinner made for them, etc. The reasons are endless.

If I am fasting for an answer to a prayer, I read a lot in the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, to receive guidance. What fasting does is weakens the flesh. The weaker your body is, the greater it is subordinated to your spirit and the thinner the veil becomes. If you can help it, spend the entire fast alone at home so you can spend as much time in study and prayer. The thinner the veil becomes, the more sensitive to the whispering of the Holy Ghost you will become. I pray before, and often during and then I close my fast with a prayer of gratitude. Anyway, this is how I approach fasting.

Edited by skalenfehl

The Nephite and Lamanite saints prayed and fasted often and for many reasons/occasions. I usually begin a fast with a prayer and a plea, if I am fasting for a specific reason. I keep this reason in the forefront of my thoughts throughout the fast. If I am fasting for someone, I think of that person often and even make sure to help if needed. Someone may be sick and need dinner made for them, etc. The reasons are endless.

If I am fasting for an answer to a prayer, I read a lot in the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, to receive guidance. What fasting does is weakens the flesh. The weaker your body is, the greater it is subordinated to your spirit and the thinner the veil becomes. If you can help it, spend the entire fast alone at home so you can spend as much time in study and prayer. The thinner the veil becomes, the more sensitive to the whispering of the Holy Ghost you will become. I pray before, and often during and then I close my fast with a prayer of gratitude. Anyway, this is how I approach fasting.

:offtopic: Skalenfehl, I am so glad you are active again on this forum, your posts are so spot on and spiritually thought out and way, WAY helpful.

:backtotopic: What Skalenfehl said. :lol:

There isn't anything specific you should say in prayer for fasting. There is an order for prayer as found in the Lord's Prayer, but other than that your prayer is personal. You're just talking to your Heavenly Father.

Its often said"fasting without prayer is just starving". :)

Thank you, Iggy. I should also mention that far too often people "dread" fast Sunday, seeing it as a time when they have to starve themselves because it is the church's prescribed day to go without food. They are missing the entire point and purpose. And so they begin with a ritual of stuffing themselves full of food and drink so that they can get through the next two meals, maybe even the next twenty-four hours, if they're hearts are halfway into it, and then watch the clock until it's time to eat again, going through the same motions as any church day except that their only thought is of the food that awaits them at home as soon as they break down the door. I was that way, too for a long time.

We don't need to fast once a month on fast Sunday. We can fast as often as we wish, for as long as we wish. I have fasted days at a time before. Furthermore, if you're on a personal journey, you can fast, if you wish, for weeks, with just enough nutrients and water to keep yourself functioning. The point is not to go on a diet or to punish yourself, or whatever. The point is to make your spirit dominant to your flesh, or your body. You see, the veil keeps all our senses from the eternal world except one. This is the one with which the Spirit communicates with us, and that is our feelings. Nephi asked his brothers if they had ever inquired of the Lord when they asked him to expound things to them. He told them that they were "past feeling."

This is why it is so important to purify ourselves, abandon our sins, partake of the sacrament worthily. This is when the Spirit can be our constant companion, so that we can literally feel it's influence, hear its whisperings and feel its power constantly and not just once every long while when we watch a good movie or hear a good talk. There is real power in this form of sacrifice. The Nephite and Lamanite saints understood it. Alma and many others did as well. And greater blessings will come from this, too, if we only knock.

Here's my take on tha matter. The prayer before the fast is the Dedication of the fast. Fasting for the sake of fasting doesn't really make much sense. Fasting needs a purpose. And the prayer that starts the fast is the prayer to tell Heavenly Father what my fast is dedicated to. And, there is also the prayer that ends the fast. So, it's kinda like every other activity at Church. I open the activity with a prayer, I close it with a prayer.

Here's my take on tha matter. The prayer before the fast is the Dedication of the fast. Fasting for the sake of fasting doesn't really make much sense. Fasting needs a purpose. And the prayer that starts the fast is the prayer to tell Heavenly Father what my fast is dedicated to. And, there is also the prayer that ends the fast. So, it's kinda like every other activity at Church. I open the activity with a prayer, I close it with a prayer.

I agree with you. But, I do admit that there have been times when I have fasted just to be obedient. If there is no pressing worry or concern in my life when Fast Sunday comes around, I still fast. At those times I try to dedicate my fast to improving my spirituality, and of course, gratitude for all that I have. I gladly give my fast offering to help those in need.