What does "first resurrection" mean

Mikhail

In my blessing, it says i shall be called first in first resurrection. does this mean that I will not live until the millenium? i am confused about this and your help would be much helpful! Thank you.

Hard to say, as being transformed from mortality to immortality in the "twinkling of an eye" might count as part of the first resurrection. My wife's blessing is a little cryptic in that regard as well.

I think most, if not all members who receive their patriarchal blessing are blessed to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection. This, of course, is based on their obedience to the commandments, which are celestial laws. There are two resurrections, the first, which began when Christ first resurrected. Many saints in Jerusalem and among the Nephites/Lamanites, rose from their graves. Since then, according to their callings in their labors in the Lord's vineyard have resurrected. For example, Peter, James and John and Moroni, all who ministered to Joseph Smith.

This first resurrection will have its greatest impact when Christ returns in that great and dreadful day, which ushers in the millennium. All who lived a celestial or at the very least, a terrestrial law, will resurrect. You can read more about this in your gospel principles manual. At that day, we will be caught up in the air to greet Christ when He makes His entrance to usher in His millennial reign. After this period of a thousand years, there will be a second resurrection where all Telestial people will resurrect and Satan loosed, all of whom will be cast into their own place.

Therefore in your patriarchal blessing, you are advised of your potential, based on your obedience to all commandments, ordinances, etc, to resurrect when Christ returns and to dwell with Him in glory for a thousand years on the earth and be a part of all the temple work and further labors in the vineyard until His work is finished and He presents a celestialized Earth to the Father.

In my blessing, it says i shall be called first in first resurrection. does this mean that I will not live until the millenium? i am confused about this and your help would be much helpful! Thank you.

The first resurrection comes to the righteous who are ready to embrace the Savior without shame and without fear.

The second resurrection is for those who are not ready to so meet the Savior.

HiJolly

My understanding is and correct me if I am wrong.

We are all saved by grace, in other words, we all receive immortality. That also mean we reside in our appropriate kingdom until the millennium. The first resurrection is those who return to earth when Christ does during the Millennium. The second resurrection, I think, occurs after Christ is done and makes the earth the celestial kingdom.

Now thinking about it a little bit further I came up with something interesting. If those who reside in the Celestial Kingdom until the millennium are part of the first resurrection. Then that would mean the remainder of the kingdoms would be part of the second resurrection. If that is the case, then everybody would eventually enter the Celestial Kingdom.

Those who are Christ's at his coming -- that is, those who inherit celestial glory, or exaltation -- are of "the first resurrection". They rise first. If your blessing says that you will be called for in the first resurrection, it's a roundabout or poetic way of saying you will inherit eternal life. It has nothing to do with living until the Millennium.

In fact, even though it's a lovely promise, it is one already made to everyone in scripture. Having it in your patriarchal blessing is redundant (though nice). It's like saying that your calling and election will be made sure -- another necessity for eternal life.

I studied the scriptures to gather a concise summary of the resurrections only to in the end find it written and summed up very nicely in the D&C Institute Manual under Chapter 32 - The Resurrection.

The morning of the first resurrection refers to those being resurrected with celestial bodies whose destiny is to inherit a celestial kingdom.

Upon death, until you are resurrected, you will abide either in Spirit Prison or Spirit Paradise.

The line you refer to in your partriarchal blessing refers to a Celestial glory but it does not designate when. Could it mean you will die before his return and then rise triumphant through the clouds to descend with him? Yes. Yet it could also mean that you will live into the millennium and be resurrected then instead.

Regardless as to how it will play out, the blessings in your patriarchal blessing are all predicated upon faithfulness, worthiness and righteousness.

Regardless as to whether or not your patriarchal blessing has this line, this blessing and all others that the father's has to give are promised to those who are worthy.

Joseph Smith stressed heavely that we should seek to make our calling and election sure during this life. It is possible and we all are to be seeking it.

I looked for a good speech to explain more about calling and elections and I found the following two links which I liked.

Morning of the First Resurrection: All those who lived righteously and are destined to receive a full inheritance in the kingdom of God, will be resurrected at the time of Christ's second coming. They shall be caught up to meet the Lord at this time and will descend with him to reign during the millennial era. (See D&C 88:97-98)

Afternoon of the First Resurrection: All those who lived, are Christ's, but are not worthy to receive a full inheritance in God's kingdom. They will receive a portion of Christ's glory but not a fullness. This resurrection will happen after Christ has ushered in the millennium. (See D&C 88:99)

Second Resurrection: All those who were wicked in this life and who have suffered the wrath of God while in spirit prison, will come forth in this resurrection which will not happen until the end of the millennium. (See D&C 88:100-101)

Resurrection of Damnation: The last to be resurrected are the sons of perdition who, in this life, gained a perfect knowledge of the divinity of Christ through the Holy Ghost but then chose Satan and came out in open rebellion against Christ. They will be cast out with the devil and his angels and receive no portion of Christ's glory. (See Hell in Three Kingdoms of Glory and D&C 88:102)

• 2 months later...

hey there, the first resurrection means that those that are righteous have priority over the wicked, and come forth in the first resurrection. In your patriarchal blessing this is your promise to you according to your faithfulness and worthiness here on earth. So don't fret, relax and just do your best.

In general it means you will come forth with the righteous.