Packing list and comparing stores?

webmasterteen

I got my Mission call a week ago Today. I leave in June to the MTC. My Mission is in Houston Texas.

Being new to this, as well as my parents (dad served but it's different Today), they want me to find out what i can about the Texas Mission (and the MTC) when it comes to packing. I will have two packing lists, basically. One for the MTC and one for the Mission.

Yes, I did get a booklet with information. However, I do want to know, for those who have served in Texas and for everyone who's been to the MTC, what to expect as far as clothing. I shouldn't ask this, but how accurate is the list that we all get when we receive our envelope vs what we really end up needing?

Also, my dad has three different websites with Missionary clothing and other supplies. Which one do you recommend, what have you bought there, etc?

Missionary Mall

CTR Clothing

Mr Mac

I thank everyone in advance for the information you provide. This will be of great help to my first major church experience and will benefit others on this forum as well, I'm sure.

I didn't have any issues with the MTC list (the only thing I bought in the MTC really was some insoles for my shoes). Didn't serve in Texas so I can't help with that list. As far as places to purchase go, Missionary Mall will guarantee things for the duration of your mission. So if you buy shoes from them and they wear out they'll send you new ones. Also, while Mr. Mac has an excellent selection of suits in hindsight having an amazing suit wasn't that important. Yes, you want it to look nice but, in my mission at least, my suits were worn hard and looked like something I wore every other day 6 months out of the year (plus Sundays on the other half). At that point the little edge of niceness isn't so important, it looks like a work suit either way.

I do recommend when buying slacks for when you don't have to wear a suit to get some as light (color) as acceptable. I had a pair of grey slacks that were a lot more comfortable in the summer while out hoofing it than my black ones.

Edited by Dravin

I do recommend when buying slacks for when you don't have to wear a suit to get some as light (color) as acceptable. I had a pair of grey slacks that were a lot more comfortable in the summer while out hoofing it than my black ones.

Yes, especially in Houston in June. It is HOT there. Really HOT.

And then in the winter, there are days with below freezing temps.

Yep, that place is quite something.

Hmmm it has been a while now since I served (in Canada not Houston). I recommend (2) two-pant suits sets for sure. Most missionaries in my mission would wear out their pants long before their suit coat. Hence having twice as many pants as suit jackets being a good idea. I'm sure any of the three listed suit places would work out. I think I got mine at Mr. Mac. When I was at the MTC they (the BYU

bookstore presumably) was making a killing by convincing the missionaries that the messenger style bags (for carrying your scriptures and stuff around while you were out and about) they sold there were only ones approved for missionaries....not true at all so don't fall for anything like that. I suggest searching around the interwebs to find a Houston missionary reunion type site and asking around on there for mission specific suggestions for clothing and other recommendations.

Not sure what is on the missionary clothers list these days but generally I would say: (2) 2-pant suits, (I would avoid wool suits in Texas). 2 pairs of dress shoes but try to find ones that are comfortable for walking (you are likely to wear at least one if not both pairs out) + a good pair of general purpose sports shoes that you could play/exercise in and wear while doing service prjoects. Probably mostly short sleeved white shirts for Texas (maybe one of two long sleeve for certain occasions). And probably something like 10 pairs of garments and socks (you may need to buy replacements during your mission at some point). I made it through my mission pretty much with my original garments but I knew some other missionaries would get pretty worn out and need to be replaced or stop fitting comfortably due to weight changes(we generally had a lot of dinner appointments and many guys left the mission 20 lbs heavier than when they arrived).

I see that MissionaryMall, and CTR Clothing, and Mr Mac all advertise special combos for missionaries. Does anyone have an opinion on these three places, positive or negative? Is there a place I should avoid? Are these “packages” a good deal, or would I be better off going someplace else? Should I buy them now or wait until I get close to the MTC?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On my mission papers, there was the must buys, then the optional, I can understand not wanting to buy an expensive coat for only a few weeks at the MTC when it’s cold, but your mission is in a warm place, like one of my nephews who just went to Costa Rica. I would contact the MTC President to see if you can wear something that you already own, or if they have donated coats that you can wear while you are there.