What should the role of the bishop be?

Anon16

I have been working with my bishop for over a year on another problem,(go into more details on my other thread)

He feels that there are a lot of distractions in our meetings. I agree, but want to understand what that means. I don't want to burden him unnecessarily, so what would that constitute? I've talked about my family some - he knows us pretty well. I've been feeling very strongly that I need to talk to him about my struggling with cutting and suicidal thoughts.

Is this something I should tell him, or is it not really his place? Am I completely out of whack as it relates to the spirit and an just deluding myself?

There is a lot of me that doesn't mind seeing him. I like him, he is very decent. But, I don't like being on informal probation and I don't like still struggling with this.

I'm trying to make more progress. I'm trying to understand what is causing me to act this way. I don't want to depend on the arm of flesh too much, so I want to understand what his role is.

Thanks

In the circumstances you describe the Bishop's role is to advise and direct you spiritually, and also temporally by making sure you've talked with your parents and you get appropriate counseling.

I quickly scanned your other threads. My advice is first, talk to your parents, and second, talk to the Bishop. You're state you have been working with the Bishop for "over a year", has he suggested counseling? Depending on where you live there are programs for young people who are struggling with the issues you're having. Somebody probably already mentioned that in the other thread.

I'm surprised that after a year of meeting with the Bishop you haven't told him already.

Is some of the distraction in your meetings with him because you're not being completely open and honest with him? He can't help you appropriately if he doesn't have the whole picture. For your Bishop to say he feels there is distractions tells me he is listening the the Spirit already.

Also... Stop the Cuttiing ...Now! Its not a good substitute or distraction. I'm seriously concerned about you and where you're heading. Unless you fully confess all your struggles to someone you're not going to get the help you need.

I wish you all the best and hope you get help.

Applepansy is right. Talk to your parents. Talk to your bishop. Talk to a therapist.

If you're cutting and suicidal, you really do need to talk to people. A wise bishop, unless he himself is trained in counseling, will most likely recommend that you see a counselor, given the seriousness of the problems you're dealing with.

I understand that you don't like being on informal probation, but honestly, it's not the end of the world. And it's not as important as dealing with your suicidal ideation and cutting.

You need to talk to people and get help! God wants you to find peace, and sometimes you need help from other people for that.

Good luck, my friend! :)

HEP

I'm on and off those 24 days. I try tolimit every other day. There have been times I've gone longer though.just 24 since I started.

I'm very honest with him, that isn't the problem. More that other topics come up. Yes, he has suggested counseling and I did go for a few months.

Can't call today. It's not an urgent enough problem. Ik'm not suicidal right now. I've had enough contact with him about other things.