Best way to lose 25 pounds

Vort

Maybe it's just my computer, but I've never been able to use the search function. I put in the perimeters and click the button, it looks like it's going to load, then keeps me on the same page I'm on. I'd love your scientific perspective on it, though. There is anecdotal evidence all around me that it works in taking off problem areas, which is my main concern. My hips and belly just don't want to let go of weight, no matter how much I seem to lose.

You have to use the advanced search feature, the quick search is broken.

@MoE: She can't do a search with "HCG" and your name, search terms have to be 4 characters or longer.

Edit: Found a couple threads, using diet as a keyword, that MoE shared his opinion in:

http://www.lds.net/forums/current-events/43954-fda-says-hcg-products-illegal.html

http://www.lds.net/forums/health-exercise/28148-hcg.html

The latter one has more 'meat' to it.

Edited by Dravin

I have lost 25LBS this year. But I am happy in what I am eating. Granted, I am 6'3 and weighed in at 235 when I decided I was going to change, but I assume it could work for you as well. I was a rail through about 25 years old (32 now).

1. Find out what your food of mass destruction (FMD) is. Mine is sugar in drink form. Mainly Mtn Dew. I can have sugars like donuts in moderation, but not every day. So for the most part stay away from sugars.

2. Educate yourself on what foods do what and what they turn into after you eat them. For example carbs, why are they good/bad. In what quantities are they in.

3. As part of your education, keep track of what you eat. I use myfitnesspal ap. It tells me how many calories etc... Now I dont use it as much unless I am eating a food that I havent in the last 6 months. For the most part, I know what the food does to me.

4. PORTION CONTROL!

5. Plan your meals. If you are winging it all the time, how can you eat right?

6. Exercise! Fat burns calories. I didnt know that. But muscle burns calories and the stored fat calories you have. Try new things out. If you find you really like an exercise, then stick to it. If you hate it, your change in what you are doing is probably not going to last. Rememeber to make up your calories you burn.

7. Decide up fron what you are willing to go without and what you are NOT willing to go without. I LOVE BREAD! Which have a lot of carbs... actually everything I love has a lot of carbs and I wasnt willing to go without them. So I work around it. Maybe I dont eat pasta as much, but I still eat it. I rarely have a burger now, but if the ocasion arises and I am asked if I want a burger at a BBQ, I dont say no just because I am dieting. You cant be strict all the time. Remember PORTION CONTROL!

8. Anyone esle you know interested in losing some LBS? I had about 4 people (including my wife and some people at work) that have been doing this and it is great to talk about it and keep eachother motivated.

Those things have done it for me. But I dont think of it as a diet. I think if it as I have had my vacation eating whatever whenever I wanted, and it is over. This is a life cahnge, not a diet.

Everyone is right. Make lifestyle changes in order to achieve and maintain good health.

Here's a specific method though. It does work but may be a bit repetitive.. While you're not expected to eat this stuff for the rest of your life, it will help you to initially lose X amount of weight, without having to exercise or count calories. Someone I know did the 30 day soup challenge (Campbell's Select Health variety) and lost 20 pounds just by eating the stuff. Like I said, it's not exciting and may become a bit repetitive but you're bound to lose the initial X amount of weight in a reasonably short amount of time. How you keep that weight off will then require moderate exercise and consuming a variety of healthy "good" foods (as others have pointed out).

I lost 10 lbs when I switched to diet sodas, lost another 20lbs by doing no carb then low carb diet for a month. I have yet to regain that weight by contining to eat healthy slowly readded the carbs back into my diet.

Find your bmr - amount of calories yoru body burns at rest and discipline your self to eat no more then that each day. Make sure to have a balanced diet, and dont eat out more then once a week if you can help it.

Im 6'2" now and weigh 176 lbs, which is 2 lbs more then the ideal weight for someone my age and hieght. I dont excercise much aside from walking to park or playing with my girls.

Occasional pull ups and 15 lb weights.

Your biggest bet is diet and how you eat, excercise is good and helps but its only a fraction of your weight loss. More muscle raises your bmr however and can make it easier to keep off/lose fat weight.

I have lost 25LBS this year. But I am happy in what I am eating. Granted, I am 6'3 and weighed in at 235 when I decided I was going to change, but I assume it could work for you as well. I was a rail through about 25 years old (32 now).

1. Find out what your food of mass destruction (FMD) is. Mine is sugar in drink form. Mainly Mtn Dew. I can have sugars like donuts in moderation, but not every day. So for the most part stay away from sugars.

2. Educate yourself on what foods do what and what they turn into after you eat them. For example carbs, why are they good/bad. In what quantities are they in.

3. As part of your education, keep track of what you eat. I use myfitnesspal ap. It tells me how many calories etc... Now I dont use it as much unless I am eating a food that I havent in the last 6 months. For the most part, I know what the food does to me.

4. PORTION CONTROL!

5. Plan your meals. If you are winging it all the time, how can you eat right?

6. Exercise! Fat burns calories. I didnt know that. But muscle burns calories and the stored fat calories you have. Try new things out. If you find you really like an exercise, then stick to it. If you hate it, your change in what you are doing is probably not going to last. Rememeber to make up your calories you burn.

7. Decide up fron what you are willing to go without and what you are NOT willing to go without. I LOVE BREAD! Which have a lot of carbs... actually everything I love has a lot of carbs and I wasnt willing to go without them. So I work around it. Maybe I dont eat pasta as much, but I still eat it. I rarely have a burger now, but if the ocasion arises and I am asked if I want a burger at a BBQ, I dont say no just because I am dieting. You cant be strict all the time. Remember PORTION CONTROL!

8. Anyone esle you know interested in losing some LBS? I had about 4 people (including my wife and some people at work) that have been doing this and it is great to talk about it and keep eachother motivated.

Those things have done it for me. But I dont think of it as a diet. I think if it as I have had my vacation eating whatever whenever I wanted, and it is over. This is a life cahnge, not a diet.

I totally agree that it's all about portion control. I've read many times that 30 years ago our dinner plates used to be what we consider our salad plates now. But as our plates grew so did we.

Last year I found out I had high cholesterol so I started eating lower fat foods and less prepackaged stuff. For lunch and dinner I ate a small portion of protein, about 6 oz and the rest were fruits and vegetables. More vegetables than fruit. I quit drinking cokes and juice, I now only drink water, I have milk with breakfast. I was also walking about 1/2 to 1 mile a day, everyday. I lost about 8 lbs, which I did not intend to do. Now I'm tying to gain weight because everyone comments on how skinny I look.

I'd say if you cut out drinks with sugar and prepackaged foods and exercise you could probably lose the weight.

My husband has lost 50 pounds this year doing the atkins diet. He has now successfully switched from low carb to healthy eating with healthy carbs. You can lose a lot of weight really fast doing atkins, but you then have to transition successfully to carbs and fewer calories and/or more exercise, which a lot of people fail to do and just end up yo yo dieting. Atkins can be a great shortcut to a thin body, but real lifestyle changes have to take place to maintain it.

My husband and I lost a LOT of weight in the last year. As others have mentioned, it has to be a lifestyle change. The first thing I did was ignored the "daily recommended calories" for the average person. They tend to make you believe you're staying in your target range, and for YOUR body you may not be. According to the calculators out there, to maintain weight I should be eating around 2000-2500 calories a day because of how active my lifestyle is. That's all well and good, but my body's not agreeing. By cutting everything down to less than half of that and increasing my exercise drastically, I lost about 30 pounds. Since then I've been in a maintenance cycle for about a year, because I wanted to force my body to keep it off before I attemt to lose any more, but I've kept my eating around the same intake and haven't had to work nearly as hard to keep it off.

Healthy foods are key. You MUST implement fresh fruits and veggies, a good amount of protein, and a relatively low amount of breads if you want this to work for you. That doesn't mean exclude grains--but get them from sources like oatmeal made from rolled oats (not the instant stuff in the breakfast aisle) and whole wheat.

I am now a healthy 155 lbs after nearly 10 years of yoyoing between 168 and post pregnancy 199. My husband has lost 80 lbs in the last year after seeing what my change did to me.