Questioning vs Asking Questions

Connie

Questioning, here, refers to challenging, disputing, or picking something apart. When it comes to religion, the result of this approach is often not to find answers but rather to find fault and destroy confidence.

Above quote from article: Any Questions? - New Era May 2012 - new-era

The above is a great little article from this month's New Era magazine. I really like the descriptions of questioning versus asking questions and how the difference is in the motive and attitude of the questioner. Give it a read. It's pretty short.

What do you think about questioning versus asking questions?

I went through a time where I did a lot of questioning and eventually ended up asking questions. I think that the key difference between these two is not just the purpose or intent behind the questions, but our predisposition toward the answers. If we lack faith and believe that any answers we receive will be faulty, incomplete, and/or inadequate- that is what we will get. However, if we believe the answers will provide greater understanding and enlightenment- that is what we will get. No matter what we ask- we will ultimately find what we seek.

This is why reason, logic, knowledge, etc. is not really the path meant for determining or finding truth. Our reasoning capacity certainly works as a wonderful "assist", but only when our faith and strength of belief is already in place. When we have doubts, we must counter those doubts with faith, and then seek out the answers- "for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." (Ether 12:6) Whatever our questions, we will only be open to the Truth through communication with the Spirit. We must trust in our ability to discern, as we seek to separate the Truth from the half-truths, partial-truths, near-truths, and flat out lies.

Above quote from article: Any Questions? - New Era May 2012 - new-era

The above is a great little article from this month's New Era magazine. I really like the descriptions of questioning versus asking questions and how the difference is in the motive and attitude of the questioner. Give it a read. It's pretty short.

What do you think about questioning versus asking questions?

"Questioning" and "asking questions" are two different ways of saying the same thing. Perhaps it might be better to call the one "questioning," and the other "doubting" or "criticizing" (in the negative sense of the latter, though there are different definitions of that, too). I don't like it so much when authors redefine words when there are already perfectly usable words for the concept. It creates unnecessary confusion.

I think God wants us to question. I think God understands when we doubt. I think the important thing is to sincerely seek for truth, and to be humble enough to recognize when we don't have the answers.

Edited by HEthePrimate

I agree with JudoMinja's statement in that, "No matter what we ask- we will ultimately find what we seek." The article was ok. But I seemed to get the feeling that any question that results in a answer that does not support the Church is to be deemed Questioning. While any question that results in an answer the supports the Church is deemed as Asking Questions. The article made no mention of asking questions and it being ok to find answers that do not support the Church.

But I do think that it is incredibly hard for humans to not ask questions that ultimately lead them to the conclusion they want. Someone who is in the Church and deep down wants it to not be true will ask those questions and find the path that leads them to that conclusion. Those who want the Church to be true will ask those questions that inevitably lead to the Church being true.

If somebody has doubts there is usually a good reason for it. It's not enough to simply plaster over doubts with faith. That is a temporary effort that will not last for long. Doubts and fears need to be faced and resolved. And the answer doesn't always come out like we expect. The key is to have an open mind. To accept greater knowledge.

The left brain elements of reason, logic, and knowledge must be harmonized with the right brain elements of intuition, emotion, and faith. Neither path alone is enough. They must be brought together to come to a knowledge of the truth.

I agree with Dravin that it's a false distinction.

You may want to remove your thanks, I agreed with the distinction they made. Now I am with you that the label one might want to slap on it isn't particularly important, 'questioning' versus 'asking questions' is just a label to put on the concepts. The underlying idea though, that there are healthy and unhealthy (spiritually speaking) ways to approach things we having questions or doubts about is a valid idea. The distinction between unhealthy and healthy question though is the distinction I was agreeing with from the article, not so much the 'linguistic' distinction between 'asking questions' versus 'questioning'.

Edited by Dravin

You may want to remove your thanks, I agreed with the distinction they made. Now I am with you that the label one might want to slap on it isn't particularly important, 'questioning' versus 'asking questions' is just a label to put on the concepts. The underlying idea though, that there are healthy and unhealthy (spiritually speaking) ways to approach things we having questions or doubts about is a valid idea. The distinction between unhealthy and healthy question though is the distinction I was agreeing with from the article, not so much the 'linguistic' distinction between 'asking questions' versus 'questioning'.

Sorry, that's what I get for typing while distracted! ;)

Yes, it's true that there are more and less healthy ways of approaching questions and doubts. I just prefer to avoid the unnecessary redefinition of words.

Peace,

HEP

"Questioning" and "asking questions" are two different ways of saying the same thing. Perhaps it might be better to call the one "questioning," and the other "doubting" or "criticizing" (in the negative sense of the latter, though there are different definitions of that, too). I don't like it so much when authors redefine words when there are already perfectly usable words for the concept. It creates unnecessary confusion....

I just prefer to avoid the unnecessary redefinition of words.

I agree that they could have made a better distinction using different words, but defining terms for the purpose of an article or paper is nothing new. They provided their definitions for the terms as it pertained to their purposes, and the definitions made the distinction well enough. Just, the terms themselves probably could have been better fitted. However, also remember the audience. This is a New Era article meant for teens- and the majority of teens tend to be very less nit-picky about word choice. ;)

If somebody has doubts there is usually a good reason for it. It's not enough to simply plaster over doubts with faith. That is a temporary effort that will not last for long. Doubts and fears need to be faced and resolved. And the answer doesn't always come out like we expect. The key is to have an open mind. To accept greater knowledge.

I don't think that faith is used to "plaster over" doubts. That makes it sound like trying to put a bandaid on a fatal injury. Rather, I think faith is the cure to doubts, and seeking out answers or greater knowledge is like an exercise program. Both are important, but starting an exercise program while you are wounded would be severely detrimental and have an adverse affect on your health. While first taking the cure for your ailments and THEN starting an exercise program to maintain your health and prevent falling back to illness will strengthen you more than just relying on the cure itself.

Because we find what we seek, it does us little good to question with a lack of faith. The answers to our questions will not give us faith, just as we will not experience/see or understand miracles until after we have the faith sufficient for those miracles to happen and/or be perceived. Faith has to come first. Or our doubts will always remain and eat away at us, no matter what answers we dig up to try and counter them.

My thought is that when I am comfortable or satisfied with what I have, I will question alternatives. On the other hand, when I am intrigued and attracted by alternatives, then I will ask questions. This is my internal default, any way.

Externally, it has become almost impossible to question others and keep the conversation polite and intelligent. Asking questions can even be dangerous in some instances, as people will perceive challenge--even when none is intended.