Afraid to take the next step

So I have been investigating your faith off and on for a year. I read, watched, listened, studied much. I have also prayed. I have gotten warm feelings. I have experienced "coincidences". I know your faith is true. Yet I don't want to take the next step and be baptized. I don't know if it's the baptism ceremony itself or having to wear dresses to church each week or what. I know these things are minor in the big scheme of things but I have a social phobia and because of certain things I don't like to be the center of attention or wear dresses. Does anyone have any advice to help me?

When my eight year old told me she loved Jesus but was afraid of the water, we agreed to wait on her baptism. At nine she was ready. Her love for Jesus was clear, and her desire to please Him outweighed her fears.

You believe this church is true, yet there is hesitation. The reasons are minor, yet they give cause for pause. Perhaps you need a stronger assurance? You may perceive that the church is true, but when that truth burns within you until you cannot contain it, then you will ask to be baptized, and you will wear what is appropriate, believing that the Master will strengthen you while you overcome your social fears.

I'm not even LDS...but I know that faith must be all-consuming if it is to last. I wish you well in your spiritual journey.

I totally understand where you're coming from, I wanted to be baptized but kept feeling a bit intimidated I guess you could say. Turns out most of that was just me imagining different scenarios like how awkward the baptism might be or how uncomfortable I'd be going to church etc. (not necessarily in that order, LOL!). I'm extremely nervous in social situations so dealing with that was pretty major for me. Nothing bad ever happened, it was all my mind trying to discourage me.

How about just trying one thing? Maybe go to church a few times, see how you feel? Put the rest in God's hands and do everything one step at a time?

I can't really say much more than Prisonchaplian has.

I just wanted to make you feel a bit better. Hopefully. Dresses are not required for Church attendance and you don't need to have anybody but the person baptizing you, a witness, and yourself at your baptism. The center of 3 people is not so bad, right? Hmm... see, I don't even think the witness is necessary. Is he? Somebody want to clarify this?

I can't really say much more than Prisonchaplian has.

I just wanted to make you feel a bit better. Hopefully. Dresses are not required for Church attendance and you don't need to have anybody but the person baptizing you, a witness, and yourself at your baptism. The center of 3 people is not so bad, right? Hmm... see, I don't even think the witness is necessary. Is he? Somebody want to clarify this?

Actually two witnesses are necessary:

Each baptism must be witnessed by two priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders, who make sure it is performed properly.

Link: LDS.org - Aaronic Priesthood Chapter Detail - Performing Priesthood Ordinances

So the absolute minimum would be herself, the person performing the ordinance, and the two witnesses.

• 2 months later...

You believe this church is true, yet there is hesitation. The reasons are minor, yet they give cause for pause. Perhaps you need a stronger assurance? You may perceive that the church is true, but when that truth burns within you until you cannot contain it, then you will ask to be baptized, and you will wear what is appropriate, believing that the Master will strengthen you while you overcome your social fears.

I think I know how MeaganSmith feels. When I was investigating the LDS church many years ago, one of the things that mostly put me off was people constantly bugging me to be baptized when I still had so many unresolved issues. But the strange thing was that when I eventually left the LDS and went back to the Anglican Church, it felt like a genuine homecoming. I suddenly found that I was burning to take the next step and be confirmed (something I had missed out on before, as my early teens coincided with a time when my parents were not churchgoers). The priest who instructed me for confirmation seemed convinced I had come from severe error back to the truth: When I told him I'd been with the Mormons he said "Thank goodness we've got you away from them!" But I've never been totally convinced; I sometimes wonder if the prayers of the Mormon friends I'd left behind had something to do with the peace I'd found.

Edited by Jamie123

So I have been investigating your faith off and on for a year. I read, watched, listened, studied much. I have also prayed. I have gotten warm feelings. I have experienced "coincidences". I know your faith is true. Yet I don't want to take the next step and be baptized. I don't know if it's the baptism ceremony itself or having to wear dresses to church each week or what. I know these things are minor in the big scheme of things but I have a social phobia and because of certain things I don't like to be the center of attention or wear dresses. Does anyone have any advice to help me?

Baptismal ordinances don't need to be big social flashy affairs. There only needs to be two witnesses there to "witness" the ordinance. You can work together with your missionaries or whoever is planning the event to make it comfortable for you.

(And coming from a mental health prospective, challenging some of your anxieties is a good thing. Betcha that your fear about the thing is way bigger deal than the actual event. At the end, you'll prolly say, that was all it was?)

It sounds like too that you have some desire and some "knowing" percolating inside of you. But maybe you are worried about fully committing to the lifestyle/schedule of the mormon way. It's ok to be concerned or hesitant about that. I've felt feelings come to me that were similar. This is where exercising some faith can help. It's my experience that if I take my marching orders from my hesitance, that I stay stuck. If I take my marching orders from my "knowings" and I follow them in faith, most of my concerns disappear as I get on the other side of the threshold.

As others have stated before me, a baptism doesn't need to be a big event. I would maybe set a cast like this: Someone of the Bishopric to baptize you, the two Missionaries as witnesses, and you. I hope that is comfortable with you. :) Often, Missionaries from nearby wards will ask if they can bring other investigators from their wards to witness your baptism as well, but you may tell them that you prefer having the least possible amount of people there, and that should be fine with them.

The process of baptism really isn't spectacular. You're going into the water, you're submerged, and you're born anew. This is big because it opens the vast gate to eternal life and happiness, but really, the baptism itself is just a small ritual, and unless you are terribly afraid of water, it is really no big deal. Do it slowly and with care, not in a hurry, so you can enjoy it. Just as an advice from someone who stood it the waters of baptism for about two seconds :)

Thirdly, if you have a testimony, have repented and prayed about your decision, don't procrastinate. If you're sure that the Church is true, call the Missionaries and tell them you want to be baptized as soon as possible. You might not see this today, but when you're not baptized you're missing out on the guidance of the Holy Spirit (which will make your life a lot better once you have received it), and a tremendous set of blessings for you and your loved ones. Another thing you are missing out on is time. Say, instead of postponing your baptism further on, you could start preparing for the Temple soon and get your endowment one year later. It's a very long and beautiful road trip still ahead of you, but if you've got enough water and food and gas on board and you're holding the keys in your hand...would you REALLY stay parked in your garage any longer? :) It's the same with baptism. I'm not meaning to rush you or anything, but if you're ready, DO IT. There is nothing you will ever regret about it. :)

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread.

I think I am at this stage myself. I have been having some great sessions with the online missionaries, but I"m getting the feeling they are getting anxious to hand me off to local missionaries and inquire about baptism often.

I really feel strongly that I have finally found a faith and Church for me.. but I can't bring myself to commit to the baptism. It might be social anxiety.. but I also feel as if it's some sort of... bridge. Like once you cross it, you can't undo it or go back to your "pre-baptism" moment. You're a part of the LDS church for better or worse and all the social and personal issues that come with that will be inescapable.

I'm severely curious though.. what ever happened with you Meagansmith. Did you eventually undergo the Baptism, or are you still hesitant like me?

Hyena - have you been to church yet? If not, maybe that will help you make the decision. Also, being a guy, maybe you should go to a few of the men's meetings and see if you can see yourself there.

It is a big step, especially since there is so much more to being LDS than many other faiths. Most religions, you can just show up on Sunday for an hour. I have a Buddhist friend who goes to a zen center maybe 4 times a year, and that's it for him. If you become LDS, there will be meetings and callings and visits. There's a lot of 'stuff' and I don't even have kids in Scouts or summer camp.

All this to say that it is a big step, but it is one that many have taken and you won't be left alone. Sometimes I think, 'what have I done?' because I do look down the road and try to imagine doing all this for many years in the future, however, I also know I'm happy and I can't think of anything else I'd rather be than LDS. It's OK, Hyena. Pray on it some more. I think we all want you to be baptized, but you aren't ready until you are ready.

Yeah.. perhaps it's time I sought out a local missionary or LDS member and attended church with them.

At some point I NEED to follow my heart, but recently my family has realized that my interest in the LDS church is not simply some passing phase I was going through but that I've become alarmingly "serious" about all this "conversion nonsense." I've never been spoken down to my entire life by my family members nor have I EVER heard them speak with such close-minded bigotry. They woudn't even tolerate any opposition or counter points. They refused to hear but demanded to speak and so I ended the conversation myself refusing to engage in anything that was not going to be an open minded discussion. I'm a grown man, my younger brothers have no authority over me. What this has illustrated is that there are going to be serious consequences for whatever decision I make. If I join the LDS my family is going to be livid and most likely vocally abusive over the matter. I'm pretty sure my younger brother, a Baptist minister, will follow through on his pledge to intercede. He actually SAID, out loud that he would do whatever is in his power to sabotage my participation with the Mormon church.. even that he was going to PRAY that God block MY prayers about my decisions to join the church. It borderlines on the ridiculous. Worse, I'm starting to question myself whether my increased determination/interest is due to me coming to the conclusion from my studies that Joseph Smith was a true prophet and the Book of Mormon is true in my heart, or simply that being told not to is tapping into some sort of unconscious, psychological tendency to "rebel." Equally as bad is this idea I keep kicking around in my head of living a LIE.. what I mean by that is I keep wondering if I could simply join the church quietly, personally, and then never reveal to anyone that I became a member of the LDS. After all, what business is it of anyone else's? But to lie to my family.. for potentially the rest of our lives.. Is that truly a solution? Serving Christ and God's will with likeminded people as a member of the LDS would make me happiest indeed, I don't relish the idea of being a liar for the rest of my days or living in shame or fear.

So I have some hard decisions to make. Extremely hard. I've been severely depressed for days about it. We're talking about my happiness and my soul here.. and I have no idea what's in my best interest any more or whom to turn to anymore considering that most LDS would urge me to join, most non-LDS would urge me not to.

I think I would like to ask anyone with the heart to to pray for me in this matter. And I appreciate the advice you've all given over time.

I respect and admire your integrity and your desire to figure out whether this is revelation from heaven or your own heart (or stubbornness) leading you on. It's a fight we all must fight at some point. We hope and pray that you come to the right conclusion -- and I'm sure you already know what we believe "the right conclusion" to be. But it's your decision, and you must make and follow that decision wholeheartedly.

Best of luck and God bless you. Keep us posted.

Hyena, I think I mentioned on the other thread that your story is very similar to mine. If I remember correctly, you're male, African-American, Catholic.

I really feel strongly that I have finally found a faith and Church for me.. but I can't bring myself to commit to the baptism. It might be social anxiety.. but I also feel as if it's some sort of... bridge. Like once you cross it, you can't undo it or go back to your "pre-baptism" moment. You're a part of the LDS church for better or worse and all the social and personal issues that come with that will be inescapable.

Yes, I understand that. I was also hesitant to be baptized at first, for various reasons. It definitely is a "bridge" to cross. However, what I came to realize was that, having received a witness of the Holy Ghost, answers to my prayers to know the Truth, realizing that I was being led to Christ and His Church, I knew I had to follow Him, and trust that He would guide me, in whatever way(s), through any trials that come. I hope that you can come to that same conclusion. Relying solely on Christ alone, almost 2 years later, I'm still here! Yes, my family still wishes that I was Catholic, however they haven't disowned me, we have a great relationship, I go to church with them sometimes, etc. I crossed the bridge that Christ built, and I hope that you will be able to as well. You say that you feel strongly that you've found the Faith and Church for you. Follow that. Yes, it is hard, yes, you may have familial issues to deal with, however God will guide you and be there with you, and you will receive many blessings from God, beginning with those that come with your baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost as your constant Companion.

Yeah.. perhaps it's time I sought out a local missionary or LDS member and attended church with them.

At some point I NEED to follow my heart, but recently my family has realized that my interest in the LDS church is not simply some passing phase I was going through but that I've become alarmingly "serious" about all this "conversion nonsense." I've never been spoken down to my entire life by my family members nor have I EVER heard them speak with such close-minded bigotry. They woudn't even tolerate any opposition or counter points. They refused to hear but demanded to speak and so I ended the conversation myself refusing to engage in anything that was not going to be an open minded discussion. I'm a grown man, my younger brothers have no authority over me. What this has illustrated is that there are going to be serious consequences for whatever decision I make. If I join the LDS my family is going to be livid and most likely vocally abusive over the matter. I'm pretty sure my younger brother, a Baptist minister, will follow through on his pledge to intercede. He actually SAID, out loud that he would do whatever is in his power to sabotage my participation with the Mormon church.. even that he was going to PRAY that God block MY prayers about my decisions to join the church. It borderlines on the ridiculous. Worse, I'm starting to question myself whether my increased determination/interest is due to me coming to the conclusion from my studies that Joseph Smith was a true prophet and the Book of Mormon is true in my heart, or simply that being told not to is tapping into some sort of unconscious, psychological tendency to "rebel." Equally as bad is this idea I keep kicking around in my head of living a LIE.. what I mean by that is I keep wondering if I could simply join the church quietly, personally, and then never reveal to anyone that I became a member of the LDS. After all, what business is it of anyone else's? But to lie to my family.. for potentially the rest of our lives.. Is that truly a solution? Serving Christ and God's will with likeminded people as a member of the LDS would make me happiest indeed, I don't relish the idea of being a liar for the rest of my days or living in shame or fear.

So I have some hard decisions to make. Extremely hard. I've been severely depressed for days about it. We're talking about my happiness and my soul here.. and I have no idea what's in my best interest any more or whom to turn to anymore considering that most LDS would urge me to join, most non-LDS would urge me not to.

I think I would like to ask anyone with the heart to to pray for me in this matter. And I appreciate the advice you've all given over time.

I'm curious. You say that you're a "grown man". How old are you? Do you live with your family? Just wondering, since that can also affect how you approach these issues.

Being a "grown man", I think you need to realize that you have to make your own decisions, and that you have your own life to live (this is something that I personally have slowly come to realize and do. It's hard). Saying that, you should also realize that you aren't doing drugs, murdering people, etc, and hopefully your family will one day realize that. Continually pray for your family to one day accept your decision (even if they don't agree with it). If your family loves you, yes, they may be upset for some time at the beginning, however they'll hopefully realize that you've done something that will/is making you a better person.

Yes, of course we'd love for you to contact the missionaries now and be baptized as soon as possible! However, as Vort said, you need to really think about what you desire, and what God desires for you. It isn't about your family, it's about what God wants for you. From what you've told us, I don't think you'll ever find a right time for you to have your family give you the "okay" to be baptized. I didn't have that either. It's not going to happen. You really just need to think and pray really hard about all of this, and really think, if you "know" that this is the Faith and Church for you, that this is where God is leading you, then you need to act. You can then work on how you approach your family on the matter. If they don't allow you to speak or won't listen to you, write a letter. Just write out your thoughts and feelings on the issue, and especially about how much you love them and don't want to lose them or have them hate you because of your decision. Leave the letter for them. I don't expect them to be hugs and kisses overnight, however first they have to understand your side of the matter.

I think a relevant scripture is Matthew 19:29-"And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life."

I'll say a prayer for you tonight!

Hyena, I think I mentioned on the other thread that your story is very similar to mine. If I remember correctly, you're male, African-American, Catholic.

Yes, I understand that. I was also hesitant to be baptized at first, for various reasons. It definitely is a "bridge" to cross. However, what I came to realize was that, having received a witness of the Holy Ghost, answers to my prayers to know the Truth, realizing that I was being led to Christ and His Church, I knew I had to follow Him, and trust that He would guide me, in whatever way(s), through any trials that come. I hope that you can come to that same conclusion. Relying solely on Christ alone, almost 2 years later, I'm still here! Yes, my family still wishes that I was Catholic, however they haven't disowned me, we have a great relationship, I go to church with them sometimes, etc. I crossed the bridge that Christ built, and I hope that you will be able to as well. You say that you feel strongly that you've found the Faith and Church for you. Follow that. Yes, it is hard, yes, you may have familial issues to deal with, however God will guide you and be there with you, and you will receive many blessings from God, beginning with those that come with your baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost as your constant Companion.

I'm curious. You say that you're a "grown man". How old are you? Do you live with your family? Just wondering, since that can also affect how you approach these issues.

Being a "grown man", I think you need to realize that you have to make your own decisions, and that you have your own life to live (this is something that I personally have slowly come to realize and do. It's hard). Saying that, you should also realize that you aren't doing drugs, murdering people, etc, and hopefully your family will one day realize that. Continually pray for your family to one day accept your decision (even if they don't agree with it). If your family loves you, yes, they may be upset for some time at the beginning, however they'll hopefully realize that you've done something that will/is making you a better person.

Yes, of course we'd love for you to contact the missionaries now and be baptized as soon as possible! However, as Vort said, you need to really think about what you desire, and what God desires for you. It isn't about your family, it's about what God wants for you. From what you've told us, I don't think you'll ever find a right time for you to have your family give you the "okay" to be baptized. I didn't have that either. It's not going to happen. You really just need to think and pray really hard about all of this, and really think, if you "know" that this is the Faith and Church for you, that this is where God is leading you, then you need to act. You can then work on how you approach your family on the matter. If they don't allow you to speak or won't listen to you, write a letter. Just write out your thoughts and feelings on the issue, and especially about how much you love them and don't want to lose them or have them hate you because of your decision. Leave the letter for them. I don't expect them to be hugs and kisses overnight, however first they have to understand your side of the matter.

I think a relevant scripture is Matthew 19:29-"And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life."

I'll say a prayer for you tonight!

Thank you tremendously for that scripture. It has brought me a tremendous amount of comfort in trying to come to a decision.

I've prayed and fretted and made myself physically ill trying to consider this option over the past weekend. I told the online missionaries I've been communicating with consistently that I would take this entire weekend and truly ponder on what they've taught me and discussed and pray for guidance and give them a decision on Monday about whether I will accept their offer to speak with local missionaries about my baptism. Truly, I've only concluded that I do believe Joseph Smith was a prophet, that there is a living prophet, that the book of Mormon is the truth, and that I want to return to the Celestial heavens and be with our Heavenly Father.

The only thing holding me back at this point is the stupid, cowardly fear. Fear of admonition. Fear of disappointing and angering those around me. Fear of ridicule and humiliation. Fear of being alone. Fear of strangers (I'm a rather shy individual, always have been and I don't socialize often).

I'm in my 30's and I do live with my mother as I continue my college education. I fear that this decision might strain our relationship. I've considered that maybe I should drop out of school, seek a better full time job and move into my own place... and then seek baptism and activity within the Mormon church. But I think of all the things I could be learning and all the good I could be doing in the world in that time frame I'd be wasting.

It is good to know I'm not the only one who has wrestled with these sorts of issues. I've prayed about it and I keep hoping and asking for some sort of sign for which I should do, but no sign has been forthcoming. At least not one I've been able to look at definitively. I guess in the end, God is going to make me make the hard decision on my own. Maybe that's part of his plan for me.

Much prayer do I see in my future. I'm sure Heavenly Father must be sick of hearing from me so much by now..

I'm so glad to hear that your testimony is growing stronger! :)

I've been in a very similar situation as you. I investigated the Church for half of eternity before being baptized. Although it hasn't harmed me, my testimony or my activity, looking back I am sad about all the blessings I've missed out on while waiting. If I had a choice now, I would have been baptized as soon as possible. You can have a testimony of the Church and feel the Spirit sometimes without being a member, but after baptism, your spirituality will increase tremendously. The permanent companionship of the Holy Ghost is the greatest gift God has for us in this fulness of times. If you have repented and you have a testimony, there is no reason not to be baptized.

I promise you (from my own experience) that your family will be blessed if you get baptized. As you live the Gospel, their hearts will soften and they will eventually accept your decision. It took my own parents about two years for going from being completely against the Church to supporting me (also financially) on my Mission. The people surrounding you will see you change to the better and they will not go unaffected. I highly doubt that any member of my own family will join the Church in this life. However, if you care sincerely for your family, you will not be rejected. I promise you that.

Consider carefully if you want to be baptized, however, listen to the right source. Do you think that Christ is the source of negative thoughts that would keep you from joining the Church? Think about where your fears come from, who puts them into your mind (hint: it's the adversary, also known as Satan) and if you want to "give heed" to this source. If you choose to follow Christ and don't give in to the doubts the adversary puts into your mind, baptism is right for you. :) Also, (re-)study 1Nephi chapters 8 and 15. I found those quite meaningful in making my decision about whose side I wanted to be on.

I pray for you! :)

"and most non-LDS would urge me not to"

I am not LDS, yet I would encourage you to continue moving forward towards being baptized.

I feel the same way, which I think is one of the main reasons for never taking my faith to the next step.

I feel like the outer person I am - the way I dress, music I listen to etc etc doesn't fit with the Mormon way of life However, I have never been brave enough to actually go and ask a Mormon what their "way of life" is.

I feel the same way, which I think is one of the main reasons for never taking my faith to the next step.

I feel like the outer person I am - the way I dress, music I listen to etc etc doesn't fit with the Mormon way of life However, I have never been brave enough to actually go and ask a Mormon what their "way of life" is.

YouTube has a Mormon channel which has been useful. I have seen Mormons of all types, I don't quite thing there is just one image. Up until recently my main belief was they all were like the missionaries you see on bikes, dressed nice and what not.

Have you ever spoken with online missionaries? They have been very helpful with me and it was easier to me personally to speak with online ones because I can just get out my phone and message when questions arise. And well, life's been busy so finding time to meet local ones is difficult anyways.

Ive always thought taking the first step is one of the hardest.

Aria

When I was investigating, it turns out that one of my friends from college was also a convert. We used to hang out a lot and went to a lot of concerts (we're talking 30 years ago when people made 'real' music). : )

One of my early questions was can LDS listen to rock and roll. He assured me that he had not given up his huge music collection. Whew! I listen to all types of music (except rap) and have no problem listening to rock and roll and being Mormon. Don't let your choice in music stop you from exploring what the Church has to offer.

As a matter of fact, you'd be somewhat surprised how many people are out there in the "arts" that you might not know were Mormons. For example, Brandon Flowers of the Killers is a member of the LDS church, as are several members of the currently popular band, Neon Trees (I hear it started with a whisper)..

One thing I'm learning is that Mormons are as diverse as any group of the population, even baptists and catholics and so forth. Ryan Gosling is (or was.. depends on who you ask) a Mormon, Paul Walker from the fast and furious movies, David Archuletta, the Osmonds, Gladys Knight, literary-nerd superhero Orson Scott Card, Thurl Bailey... there's probably a ton.. they just don't advertise or walk around sporting their faith as a point of pride.

And don't forget, Arthur Kane, of the New York Dolls. See the film, 'New York Doll.' I was a fan of the NYD and came upon this movie before I even thought of converting I cried then. I cry now when I watch it to think how HF came into Arthur's life and helped him be a good person until his untimely death. What an example of how low one can go and then be lifted up by grace and a life in the Church. Sigh. Sniff.

And as an aside, I like to use a picture of him in white shirt and name tag as an example of 'unlikely librarians' for my class. ARTHUR KANEMORMON MUSIC scroll down

Aria

When I was investigating, it turns out that one of my friends from college was also a convert. We used to hang out a lot and went to a lot of concerts (we're talking 30 years ago when people made 'real' music). : )

One of my early questions was can LDS listen to rock and roll. He assured me that he had not given up his huge music collection. Whew! I listen to all types of music (except rap) and have no problem listening to rock and roll and being Mormon. Don't let your choice in music stop you from exploring what the Church has to offer.

I think for me it's the other way round - that the music and way I am will prevent the church from offering me anything.

It's not like I listen or do anything bad - I listen to folk music and dress little hippie-ish.

As a matter of fact, you'd be somewhat surprised how many people are out there in the "arts" that you might not know were Mormons. For example, Brandon Flowers of the Killers is a member of the LDS church, as are several members of the currently popular band, Neon Trees (I hear it started with a whisper)..

One thing I'm learning is that Mormons are as diverse as any group of the population, even baptists and catholics and so forth. Ryan Gosling is (or was.. depends on who you ask) a Mormon, Paul Walker from the fast and furious movies, David Archuletta, the Osmonds, Gladys Knight, literary-nerd superhero Orson Scott Card, Thurl Bailey... there's probably a ton.. they just don't advertise or walk around sporting their faith as a point of pride.

Yeah, I suppose so. I guess it's just a fear of the unknown. From what I have seen and have heard - I have made judgements. Yet cannot prove or disprove these, because I've made myself doubt.