Daily activities

MeaganSmith

Yes I do - I read scripture for roughly an hour a day and I use the institute manuals for study, honestly I sort of pray as needed because sometimes I just don't know what to pray about. Then there's study for Relief Society and I need reading done there. Where I am we also do "prayer suppers" twice a month which are sort of non-denominational, casual dinners where we can meet with people of different faiths and share our beliefs. So I do some prep for those too so I have something to share. I wish I had more opportunities to share the gospel but am in a fairly rural area with no transport and a non-member spouse. Makes things a little difficult, and I'm looking for ways to branch out. :)

Okay, I think you're asking what LDS people usually do...

I have to say, becoming LDS is a lifestyle change. Catholics can get by with an hour of Sunday service and holy days of obligation and keeping from sin the rest of the week, confess a couple times a year...

LDS is a lot more involved. The organizational structure of the ward tends to get everybody participating to make everything work. There are no full-time employees that run the wards so everything is done through member efforts.

So, 3 hours on Sunday, you know that already. Now, those Sunday hours are run by the membership. So, you might get called upon to do some work - like, teach a class or print the weekly sacrament program, or man the library, or choose the sacrament songs, etc. To fulfill this work, you might have to spend a few hours preparing the lesson during the week, or attending some training sessions or meeting with leaders, etc. so you are prepared to do the work.

In addition to that, we have this thing called Visit Teaching where each woman over 18 years old is assigned a teaching companion and a list of 2 to 5 women from the ward that you visit each month. Basically, it's a way for every adult female member of the ward - active or inactive - to be "checked up on" to see how they're doing and if they need anything and at the same time discuss some spiritual thoughts. This can be done via personal visit or phone or email, etc. There's also Home Teaching where a member of the priesthood visit you.

Also, we have this thing called Family Home Evening. It is usually held on Mondays - the Church will not schedule any meetings or anything on Mondays. That day is reserved for families to have a chance to have a Family Home Evening. This is basically a chance for every family to get together to strengthen the family.

Scripture study and such - daily study is encouraged. Or you can use this to prepare for the Sunday lessons by studying what is going to be taught on Sunday.

Then there are stuff like ward activities - like a food drive, or a hurricane preparedness, or ward dinners, etc.

Then there's family history (researching your ancestors) and provident living (preparing yourself in case of emergencies - like food storage and such).

Something very important is going to the temple. You have to be baptized for at least 1 year before you have to think about this one. They're not usually open on Sundays so doing stuff in the temple is done during the week.

Now, of course, everything is voluntary and is completely up to you if you want to involve yourself or not in any of these stuff.

Edited by anatess