'Another' one of those stories!

Interesting.

As with a lot of popular articles, the headline is mostly about shock value. If I read the article right, this gentleman has fathered 6 children, so it would appear that his male parts are fully functional. He merely discovered that, like a small percentage of the population, a few female parts also developed inside where no one could see them.

Reading about some examples of intersex people on Wikipedia, it would actually seem that his case is quite mild.

The story title is deceiving -- or, to be more blunt, a lie. The man, who FATHERED six children, did not "discover" he was "really" a woman. He discovered he has female sex organs. He is not "really" a woman; for example, he fathered children, but I doubt he could have become impregnated. Bottom line: If "he" were a woman, "he" could not have FATHERED children.

I feel for the guy. How awful to go through your life with such feelings and emotions. I would be curious to know if his brain structure is more typically male or female, or something in between. But as the article notes, the condition is extremely rare, involving (according to the article, which quotes an extremely biased source) about 1500 infants per year. So this is hardly a social crisis or reason to change our important social institutions.

In any case, I feel compassion for the guy and don't feel able to judge the correct response to his situation. I feel disgust toward ABC "News" for so blatantly coloring their coverage to push their larger agenda.

The story title is deceiving -- or, to be more blunt, a lie. The man, who FATHERED six children, did not "discover" he was "really" a woman. He discovered he has female sex organs. He is not "really" a woman; for example, he fathered children, but I doubt he could have become impregnated. Bottom line: If "he" were a woman, "he" could not have FATHERED children.

I feel for the guy. How awful to go through your life with such feelings and emotions. I would be curious to know if his brain structure is more typically male or female, or something in between. But as the article notes, the condition is extremely rare, involving (according to the article, which quotes an extremely biased source) about 1500 infants per year. So this is hardly a social crisis or reason to change our important social institutions.

In any case, I feel compassion for the guy and don't feel able to judge the correct response to his situation. I feel disgust toward ABC "News" for so blatantly coloring their coverage to push their larger agenda.

I do tend to agree with you although public discussion can surely help those in the situation. Not so sure there arent more out there than we casually think. 1500 x 62 = 93,000 born in my lifetime. That is quite a few people to live a life of secrecy and unneeded shame. I know 2 people now with the issue and both have faced extreme abuse and, for one, horrible exploitation. If it were more understood by the general public much of this would not occur. Seriously one, as a little child, had videos and photos taken for profit because of the titillating secrecy involved.

The question is: What constitutes a female? What do you need to be a female? What about male?

And I according to APA 6 in writing you should refer to them in their role , gender identity (if transsexual), or gender expression (for transgender) regardless of birth sex. So basically whatever they consider themselves. Meaning that this person should be refereed to as "she"... At least in formal writing :)

The question is: What constitutes a female? What do you need to be a female? What about male?

A 'Y' chromosome makes a person a male, the lack of a 'Y' makes a female. The involved gene on the Y chromosome is SRY which produces MIF which dissolves up all the embryonic girl parts.

Examples:

Tuner syndrome- X_ karyotype (missing one X). Phenotypic female, although not necessarily fertile.

Kleinfelter syndrome- XXY- an extra X chromosome, but the presence of a Y chromosome- phenotypically male.

My questions that are probably unanswerable are these...Assuming he's been known as a male his whole life, has fathered children who know him as "Dad", perhaps has siblings who know him as their "brother" and parents who know him as their "son", wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just have the female organs taken out surgically and be put on some extra testosterone or whatever the medication is that boosts manly feelings (there are ads in magazines and on TV for it), than go to the bother of having to change his identity. It just seems like too big of a chore to change that much in your life as well as the lives of family and friends if you're just as much male as female. Does his wife refer to him(her) as her husband or her...what? How does his(her) wife introduce him(her) at parties? "This is my ___________?"

Is it really THAT important to become a woman? Does he really want to wear pantyhose and high heels, shave his legs and armpits, do breast self exams monthly, and MAMMOGRAMS yearly?? Does he want to go through menopause THAT much- night sweats and hot flashes? Does he know he is making a mockery of womanhood- never had to have a period or cramps or carry tampons in his purse, never had to have a pap smear, never had even the remotest possiblilty of getting pregnant, throwing up for months, sleepless nights with a human being playing soccer in your belly, or going through labor and nearly hemmorhaging to death?

As my husband put it...did they cut off his you-know-what? Or did they leave it just in case he doesn't really like the hassle of being a woman afterall? Does he really want to spend easily twice as much for clothing and make 30% less in wages? Does he have any idea how much easier life is as a man?

Edited by carlimac

wow I never thought of picking a sex by convenience. It would seem, to me, that what sex you are, spiritually, would be more apparent in how you 'self identify'.

And that's the hardest question of all to answer. How do you know "spiritually" what gender you are if you have both male functionality and some partial female internal organs?

And that's the hardest question of all to answer. How do you know "spiritually" what gender you are if you have both male functionality and some partial female internal organs?

Or if the choice was taken from you and you were assigned a gender at birth?

Or if the choice was taken from you and you were assigned a gender at birth?

Well what did you expect of everyone when he came with male equipment? Not every boy baby is given an ultrasound at birth to determine if he is indeed a he. This glitch didn't arise till the guy was well into adulthood and had functioned just fine as a man for many years.

I used to be a nurse at a children's hospital and I remember a case or two of babies with genetalia that couldn't be determined at birth. That's a whole different story than this one.

That's a whole different story than this one.

It is different, and perhaps I wasn't clear in my post, but I was speaking in generalities, referring to cases of hermaphroditism.... in these cases a gender is often chosen for a child after birth by the parents. A few years back there was an interview on NPR of just such a case where the person never felt 'right' as a female, later developed what she thought was SSA during puberty, and eventually discovered that they were actually genetically male. Lots of money and a few surgeries later she became a he again.

If you dont feel strongly one way or the other then it would be very wrong to change your body to suit what someone else wanted you to be. Better to accept yourself as you are and move on. It is NOT a sin to be born different.

If you dont feel strongly one way or the other then it would be very wrong to change your body to suit what someone else wanted you to be. Better to accept yourself as you are and move on. It is NOT a sin to be born different.

Nevermind. I think I know what you mean now.

Edited by carlimac

Hermaphrodites are totally different from gay's and lesbian's. Hermaphrodites are "Born this way" physically which shouldn't justify or support gay and lesbian and even Bi's agendas. Media is corrupted, it would actually be nice to have news coverage done by "The Church Jesus Christ Of These Latter-days" what major uplifting and spiritual difference many would have in there lives. Media, the entertainment system, and everything to do with hollywood has been exploited to the masses for immoral quality and less moral values. I don't like to involve myself in reading magazines and trendy things socially. And low and behold the state that I live in "California" promotes all those insignificant desires, and wants but don't necessarily need behaviors and ways.

I was watching the ABC article with my daughter and she said "Mom why is that man dressed like a lady?" I asked her, "Why do you think that is a man and not a lady?". She said "Because he sounds like a man and looks like a man wearing a ladies clothes and a wig." Now am I suppose to condemn my daughter for seeing a person as is physically and tell her no you are wrong that is a lady. This is where the state has to draw a line on confusing the children. Children are innocent when born into the world, living in the bay area East Oakland across San Francisco you would think we are exposed. Little do you know that the percentage of Homosexuals are higher in San Francisco an expensive cost living area than in East Oakland. Many of the communities in east oakland consist of poor families of different ethnicity. The education system is trying to change for some social agendas. Imagine having to confuse children even more by teaching them homosexual education. Dumbing down America has been in effect since Reagan opened the door to corrupt America. I'm trying to find political campaigns that involve promoting education, family rights, moral politics. If any of you know of any I will be happy to learn of them.

I have nothing wrong with homosexuals, but when they have pride and exploit there inclinations of desires and immoral behaviors I do oppose. They are opening the door to corrupt inoccent childrens to such behaviors.