Paying tithing for the first time

zuko725

Okay so I probably sound like an idiot.. but I don't know how to pay tithing! When I was working my summer job a few years ago, I paid tithing, but my dad always took care of it for me, I just wrote the check and filled out the slip of paper that he would hand to me.

That was the one and only time I ever worked and since then I've been a full time college student. However, I just started my summer job and I am finally making money again! I got my first pay check this past week and tomorrow I plan on paying tithing. The only problem is I don't know how to. I don't know where to get the little piece of paper my dad used to hand to me and I don't know who I give it to when I fill it out.

Also, I pay 10% of my check BEFORE taxes were taken out.. right?

I feel so silly for not knowing this :( Someone please help me?

Typically, tithing slips and envelopes are in a little box thing by the bishop's door at the church. Go to the bishop's office at the local ward and you'll see something on the wall next to the door.

Once you complete it, you only give the completed slip and money (in the envelope) to one of three people--the bishop, the 1st counselor to the bishop, or the 2nd counselor to the bishop. No one else.

As far as what you pay, the church only states you pay 10% of your income. They do not define "income." Some people pay on the gross income, some choose to pay on the net. We can't tell you what you should pay--that's between you and the Lord (not even the bishop can tell you). I will say that my husband and I pay on the gross.

(not even the bishop can tell you

Not to open up a can of worms but personally (my opinion mind you) I slightly disagree with this. You can ask your Bishop his interpretation and take his advice and counsel regarding this. After all he does have stewardship. I've heard it more times than I can count in all my years, that if you aren't getting your own confirmation through prayer to ask your Bishop and follow what he says. If he says pay it on net and you do so then you have done what you need to do and if wrong the Bishop will be accountable. But ultimately it is between the payor and the Lord.

Edited by pam

Of course, he can give counsel. But a bishop cannot say that "income" means X. He cannot. He can give his opinion. He can advise you regarding your circumstance. But, ultimately, he cannot define income for someone.

In fact, I believe the handbook tells them to not define it. I could be wrong on that, but I thought I remember my bishop telling me that when I asked about tithing.

Of course, he can give counsel. But a bishop cannot say that "income" means X. He cannot. He can give his opinion. He can advise you regarding your circumstance. But, ultimately, he cannot define income for someone.

In fact, I believe the handbook tells them to not define it. I could be wrong on that, but I thought I remember my bishop telling me that when I asked about tithing.

Which is pretty much what I said. I said he can give you his interpretation and counsel. He can say his interpretation is you pay on net. And if you do so because, as the Bishop, you take his interpretation to heart, then you've done your part. You of course still need to take it to the Lord.

It still is up to the individual person and the Lord if they feel that paying it that way is considered correct between them.

I think it's easier to pay on your gross income, but then it's more complicated if you are self-employed and have business expenses to deduct.

Here's a funny story. After my sister got her first job, she had been working there a few months when I drove her to pick up her paycheck. She said, "Man! I'm starting to feel a little bitter about paying my tithing! Pretty soon I'm going to be paying more than I'm making!"

Turns out she was paying tithing on her gross year to date amount. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

opinion from a new guy: :)

I was told in my pre baptism interview by the third elder that it was indeed gross. That's all I've heard from other members as well. It also in my mind makes sense that if you are to pay 10% of your income that is in fact gross imo. I come to work and make my $xxx,xxx,xxx per week (ok maybe exaggerating ;) but everything that comes out of that for tax, insurance etc are just normal expenses and I personally consider those normal life expenses that come out of my income by direct withdrawl vs. paying a traditional bill..but I personally consider my income to be my gross income. That's just the opinion of one newb though so take it for what it's worth.