Vegetarianism?

zuko725

I think it really comes down to personal choice, why you are doing it, and how it impacts you and the people around you.

There are scriptures that seem to go both ways. The most recent revelation (to my knowledge) says to eat meat sparingly. We're also supposed to treat our bodies as temples, which implies also having a healthy diet, right? The most consistent health studies point to raw vegan diets. Maybe that is what is technically going to make your body the healthiest. But is that really the most healthy thing to do emotionally and spiritually? If treating our bodies like temples implies that we should be in peak physical condition, then technically many GAs aren't doing that (many are overweight, likely due to diet and lack of exercise). BUT: I went through a long period of time that I was extremely obsessed with exercise and diet. I was extremely healthy physically. But I became very unhealthy emotionally. Family dinners and date nights were miserable for me. I missed out on social gatherings and family events because I was so obsessed with keeping my body in peak physical condition.

Does this mean that being a raw food vegan is bad? I don't think so. I don't think being a vegetarian is necessarily bad either. Nor is being an omnivore. I think it would be a problem if it's harming you emotionally and it turns into an "idol worship" of sorts, with the focus on what you eat or your body becomes obsessive. I could completely cut out all sugar, meat, white flour, and animal byproducts but I know that it would be unhealthy spiritually and emotionally for me. Certain diets might be good for the body, but they aren't good for the soul.

Everything in moderation. Personally, I would call myself a flexitarian. I mostly don't eat meat, but sometimes I do because I don't want to miss out on a social event or I just really want some chicken. I feel a lot better not eating a ton of meat, so I don't. But sometimes it (and other things people consider physically unhealthy) is what I just want emotionally.

ANYWAY- in conclusion, I don't see a problem with being a vegetarian if that's what makes you feel healthy and happy, and you are still close to your family, friends, and the Lord while doing so.

Sorry for the very disorganized response. I've been thinking a lot about this lately, but haven't tried making it super coherent in writing at all.

I agree: there really is a lot of choice to it.

On a similar note, the WoW speaks of eating things in the season thereof. I have heard many people saying that with modern technology, shipping, storage, etc, that's no longer something to think much about. Which is many ways is true, but there are so many movements out there testifying of the benefits of eating in the season thereof.

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years, and it's been easy and feels right for me.

If you would like to try it out, there is a good book explaining it (based on the Word of Wisdom), with yummity recipes. It's called, " A World of Wisdom" and it's described here:

"Eating according to what is in season isn't a new idea, but it is one that is being proven to be based on a sound medical, ethical, environmental and scriptural foundation. From basic staples to scrumptious desserts, A World of Wisdom will take you through the seasons and show you how easy it is to follow the Word of Wisdom. 198 pages of seasonal, grain based, low animal products, whole foods recipes organized according to season. Includes a section on many ordinary and unusual grains with easy cooking directions."

Can be ordered here:

Amazon.com: A World of Wisdom: Seasonal, Grain-based, Low Animal Product, Whole Foods Recipes (9780981694917): Amy Cox Jones: Books

I remember being taught in seminary that "in the season" meant "not rotten". I took note of it in my scriptures, because it was something I had thought of. If you live in Alaska . . . there will be a very short window of very limited produce that you will be able to eat if you only eat it in season. Produce can so easily be preserved through freezing, pickling, and canning. And the fact that it's all shipped in means that we have more nutrition available to us all the time. However, I do like being aware of seasons for produce. It helps me save money if I buy fruits and veggies that are in season locally.

I'm not a vegetarian myself (I loooove a good burger, and (oh, mouth watering just thinking about it) BACON! But I do respect vegetarians and vegans, if only for their dedication, and it does seem to be a healthy lifestyle, if done in such a manner that you get enough protein.

The scriptures don't say you can't be a vegetarian, nor do they say you have to be. They give us the freedom to choose, along with general guidelines, like don't shed blood unnecessarily, and don't waste meat, the principle being that life is sacred, so don't take it lightly.

My ward seems to have an unusually high concentration of vegetarians and vegans. My good friend's daughter is a total vegan--no animal products at all, including milk. Other members of the same family are "flexitarian," meaning they normally eat vegetarian-style, but will occasionally eat meat when it's offered to them (to be polite). ;)

• 3 weeks later...

"In D&C 49:18, a revelation is given directed to the Shakers saying that he who forbids to ABSTAIN from meat is not called of God. Which means that vegetarianism is not something you can say is bad. However, study aids were added in 1979 that uses a couple of random references to make it seem like there is reason to believe that the word 'forbid' is actually meant to mean the opposite, to bid. That's not how English works, and it is not how the Shakers heard it (who only forbade swine meat, though all other kinds were okay, though many did choose to live as vegetarians)."

The problem with this interpretation is that it contradicts the subsequent verse, which states as an explanation to verse 18 that meat is ordained by God for the use of man, in addition to other scriptures. Still, I agree that it doesn't say that vegetarianism is bad, just that it isn't ordained of God (i.e., nobody can say God commands it). I admit that this is an oddly worded, perhaps archaically worded, verse. It would make more sense if "forbiddeth" was changed to "constraineth," or something similar.

"I don't know what the Word of Wisdom is, but in the gospels, Jesus eats fish and lamb.

"So, WWJD? (What would Jesus Digest?)"

Fish isn't even mentioned in the Word of Wisdom, but both science and Church authorities say "Go fish!" I'm just glad that I love seafood. As for the lamb, again, meat isn't completely forbidden in the Word of Wisdom (plus the lamb was from the Passover, a God-ordained ordinance). I'm surprised you didn't mention wine (and no, I don't believe it was "grape juice" like some people claim). While prophets have always preached against drunkenness, and about other health related topics, the Word of Wisdom is specifically for our day, as stated in v. 2 of D&C 89--the revelation on the Word of Wisdom.

"And for the record, most vegans and vegetarians do what they do because they're opposed to the abuse that goes on in factory farms, not because they have something against using animal products."

For a good summary on this issue, among other things, I recommend Fast Food Nation. There are other books more specifically about this, but I haven't read them yet.

Edited by mtman318
Clarification on which words are mine, and which are quotations.

I don't know what the Word of Wisdom is, but in the gospels, Jesus eats fish and lamb.

So, WWJD? (What would Jesus Digest?)

The Gospels contain no record that Jesus ate lamb. The one time he is described to eat the Passover is also the time when he replaces it with the Sacrament.

You are free to make your own conclusions about Jesus being raised a Jew and thus having to eat it, but even if he did as a child there is no guarantee that he did during his three-year ministry. And as you will remember, the Gospels do contain numerous examples of Christ deviating from Jewish law and custom, for example in the question of keeping the Sabbath day holy.

Those honestly seeking to make Jesus an example of non-vegetarianism will either be resigned to portray him as a pescetarian, a semi-vegetarian who only eats fish, or to dig deep into personal speculations built without direct scriptural support.

The problem with this interpretation is that it contradicts the subsequent verse, which states as an explanation to verse 18 that meat is ordained by God for the use of man, in addition to other scriptures. Still, I agree that it doesn't say that vegetarianism is bad, just that it isn't ordained of God (i.e., nobody can say God commands it). I admit that this is an oddly worded, perhaps archaically worded, verse. It would make more sense if "forbiddeth" was changed to "constraineth," or something similar.

So just because there is an awkward sentence structure you believe it's okay to reverse the meaning of that word, and even go beyond just adding a footnote to change the meaning?

I don't see a problem with the way it is currently written. He can say that it's not okay to insist that someone stop being a vegetarian and follow up with the admission that he ordained animals to be used, among other things, as food.

Speaking of that chapter in the D&C, which I have in mind to study in terms of the Joseph Smith Papers project, everyone seems to have forgot that two verses down it reads: "And wo be unto man that sheddeth blood or that wasteth flesh and hath no need," which really means all of us in the Western world where we do have access to everything necessary to have a complete protein without eating animal protein.

And speaking of interpretation, why does everyone in the Church take "sparingly" to mean "once in a while" when the word has a just as valid meaning of "to be sparing of", as in sparing a life? (This is certainly how the word sparing was used at the time of the revelation, as Chris Foster also points out in his presentation.)

I really think that there is weighty evidence that vegetarianism has big blessing associated with it, and feel that it is right to recommend others to try it out. I want to invite all of you to try it out and feel the difference :D

To quote J. Ruben Clark

Some complain about the Word of Wisdom as if it were a rule of conduct imposed upon them by the Church authorities, and so a rule that could be changed by the Church authorities. In accordance with this idea certain persons have suggested changes or modifications of the Word of Wisdom. But the Word of Wisdom is not a rule of conduct; it is a law — the Lord's law — of health. It was promulgated by him. The law existed before he told it to us; it would exist if the revelation were blotted out from the book. The Church authorities have nothing to do with the law. God, speaking through the forces of the physical world has prescribed it, and so long as those forces exist the law will remain.

So just because there is an awkward sentence structure you believe it's okay to reverse the meaning of that word, and even go beyond just adding a footnote to change the meaning?

I don't see a problem with the way it is currently written. He can say that it's not okay to insist that someone stop being a vegetarian and follow up with the admission that he ordained animals to be used, among other things, as food.

Speaking of that chapter in the D&C, which I have in mind to study in terms of the Joseph Smith Papers project, everyone seems to have forgot that two verses down it reads: "And wo be unto man that sheddeth blood or that wasteth flesh and hath no need," which really means all of us in the Western world where we do have access to everything necessary to have a complete protein without eating animal protein.

And speaking of interpretation, why does everyone in the Church take "sparingly" to mean "once in a while" when the word has a just as valid meaning of "to be sparing of", as in sparing a life? (This is certainly how the word sparing was used at the time of the revelation, as Chris Foster also points out in his presentation.)

I really think that there is weighty evidence that vegetarianism has big blessing associated with it, and feel that it is right to recommend others to try it out. I want to invite all of you to try it out and feel the difference :D

To quote J. Ruben Clark

The fact of the matter is, Carsten, if eating meat was a bad thing, the Prophet would be clear about it including the interpretation of the word "sparingly".

So, yes, it's cool to get people to try it if you find benefits about it - just like getting people to try this new yoga routine or whatever - but I would advice not to make it like it's a scriptural requirement thing because, to put it frankly, your personal revelation just don't have the authority to apply to other people outside of your jurisdiction.