Starting to panic about (not) knowing basic concepts. Please Help!

alexis

Hey guys,

So, I was sitting through a lesson today and I realized that even though I've been a member for 9 months I don't know some basic things!

The first thing that bothered me was "Baptismal Covenants". I vaguely remember the questions asked of me, namely, do you believe in Heavenly Father, do you sustain the First Presidency, do you follow the WOW, are you engaging in homosexual behavior, ect. But I realized that I don't actually know what I promised Heavenly Father when I was baptized. Could anybody run down for me what those are?

The Church's definition of the Atonement. I felt in my heart the pain of the Garden of Gethsemane, and I always assumed that this was "The Atonement", but when used in a sentence as if everybody knew what it meant, that freaked me out. The lesson was on having the Gospel become the center in our life. What does "The Atonement" mean in this concept?

Those were the two that stood out to me. Are there any scriptures that lead specifically to those two concepts?

Thanks!

You have a reminder of your baptismal covenants when you renew them every week with the Sacrament. Listen to those prayers. You promise to remember Him, take His name upon you (as you have your family name and therefore act as a representative), and keep His commandments.

The Atonement is the price He paid for the times that you (we) fail or fall short in those things. As long as we're truly sorry (contrite) and confess our sins and forsake them, the Atonement is what works to make us clean again.

Breathe deeply. There is a lot to take in, but the most important points of the Gospel are simple. Follow Him, ask for help, and repent when you go astray.

Never be embarrassed about not knowing everything. No one does.

The baptismal covenant is reviewed every Sunday in the sacramental prayers. You promise to:

• be willing to take upon yourself Christ's name;
  • always remember Jesus;
  • keep the commandments Jesus has given.
In turn, God promises always to have his Spirit to be with you. This fantastic, almost unbelievable promise -- that the Spirit will always be with you if you do your part -- is the promise of exaltation.

The Atonement refers to how Christ allows you to be "at one" with the Father. When we talk about "the Atonement", we are talking about what Jesus did for us that brings us home to God. That involves the suffering in the garden of Gethsemane and on the cross, of course, but its meaning is shown in our lives. When we successfully change our habits and repent of things that have hurt us, that's the Atonement taking effect in our lives.

Keep on the path, alexis. You're doing well.

I've heard this before about LDS belief concerning the Agony in the Garden being part of the atonement and have always been curious as to the origin of the church's belief. Sorry if I'm not using the correct terms but was this always part of Mormon belief as interpreted from scripture or was this part of revealed belief? As in through revelation?

Alexis - are you in your ward's Gospel Principles Sunday School class? If not, I can certainly recommend it. It's a wonderful class for anyone wanting to understand the basics of what we believe and why. Here's the link to the manual:

Gospel Principles manual

Desertnight: From Chapter 12 - The Atonement

The Savior atoned for our sins by suffering in Gethsemane and by giving His life on the cross. It is impossible for us to fully understand how He suffered for all of our sins. In the Garden of Gethsemane, the weight of our sins caused Him to feel such agony that He bled from every pore (see D&C 19:18–19). Later, as He hung upon the cross, Jesus suffered painful death by one of the most cruel methods known to man.

While there is a lot you can learn, it's okay. You'll learn it over time.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ isn't a gospel of learning. (What?)

It's a gospel of being. Being a child of our Heavenly Father and being as He would have us live.

Our Father will instruct us line upon line, precept upon precept.

In every congregation, it will seem that "everyone else knows more than you do". But the real question is: Are you being and doing as well as you can to be a child of God that our Heavenly Father would be "well pleased"?

The Gospel Principles class is a great class. I attend it every week - primarily because I consider myself a 'member-missionary' and some of the deeper discussions of Gospel Doctrine get lost on me. I'd rather help the instructor to teach investigators than get into the scholarly discussions of the scriptures.

I love what Vort said about never being embarrassed. My experience with the gospel is that it's like peeling an onion. I find myself learning new layers of the most basic ideas or relearning things as I grow. And I've been a member since God was a boy.

Be where you are at in the process and be perfectly ok with it. You'll get all broken in soon enough.

I've heard this before about LDS belief concerning the Agony in the Garden being part of the atonement and have always been curious as to the origin of the church's belief. Sorry if I'm not using the correct terms but was this always part of Mormon belief as interpreted from scripture or was this part of revealed belief? As in through revelation?

Well, I think it's a little bit of both. Like other passages in the Bible, our interpretation is a product of the teachings of modern prophets and revelation. Our belief in kingdoms or degrees of glory associated with the resurrection, and vicarious works for the dead (such as baptism for the dead) are concepts found in the Bible, but it's hard to arrive at our understanding based on those passages alone (see 1 Cor. 15:40-41, 1 Cor. 15:29).

The Bible teaches that repentance and the remission of sin is made possible by the shedding of Christ's blood, and his suffering for the sins of the world (1 Jn. 1:7, 1 Pet. 3:18). Though crucifixion is indeed a gruesome way to die, and was the foretold method the Messiah would be slain, it is his suffering for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane and again on the cross, that is most significant. His pain was so great that he bled from every pore, as if he was sweating blood (Luke 22:39-44). He sufferent the burden of our sins, in a manner that only God can endure. Those who will not apply his atonement, by repenting of their sins, will suffer in a like manner. This is where our modern revelation gives us more information.

For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent; But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I; Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink— Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men. (D&C 19:16-19)

Regards,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin

Alexis,

Thanks for seeking amongst us for guidance and counsel. You are not the only one who will be asking for help trust, imagine all the counsel that heavenly father is asked for from us. I truly admire your faith inquiring and we all have times where we forget that's why we got the gospel and each other to remind ourselves. Heavenly father always provideths a way when we seek in faith. Take care and thrive to live the gospel in your daily life.

Sincerely,

Sisilia

Alexis, I've been a member 37 years, and I'm still learning and seeking to understand what you term "the basics." Baptismal covenants, Sacrament and Atonement are very deep concepts, and while they are basics, they are also something we can (and should) spend a lifetime learning about.