Want to join the church, unsure about how to go about it...

Caseywac

Hello All,

I've been reading the Book of Mormon, as well as other documents published by the Church, and I've been praying about it. I feel inspired, more than I have about any religion.

In my past, I have been a atheist leaning agnostic, extremely cynical about religion in all aspects. I've viewed it as a crutch for the weak, and a way for those in power to control those weaker than themselves. I find it pretty hilarious that out of all the religions around, Mormonism is the one I'm identifying with now, haha. :D

I've been dating a beautiful girl named Melissa for the past three and a half years, and I couldn't be happier. When we first started dating, she was faithful to her Christian religion (not Mormonism), and was worried about me. Now, she's just as confused as I was about religion. Whenever I bring up Mormonism (usually in a joking way), she's extremely against it... and I can't blame her, I've been projecting these same feelings for our entire relationship.

I suppose my question is: how do I join this religion I'm so drawn to, without disappointing the woman I love so dearly.

Thanks for the advice,

-Casey, 21 y/o

Hello All,

I've been reading the Book of Mormon, as well as other documents published by the Church, and I've been praying about it. I feel inspired, more than I have about any religion.

In my past, I have been a atheist leaning agnostic, extremely cynical about religion in all aspects. I've viewed it as a crutch for the weak, and a way for those in power to control those weaker than themselves. I find it pretty hilarious that out of all the religions around, Mormonism is the one I'm identifying with now, haha. :D

I've been dating a beautiful girl named Melissa for the past three and a half years, and I couldn't be happier. When we first started dating, she was faithful to her Christian religion (not Mormonism), and was worried about me. Now, she's just as confused as I was about religion. Whenever I bring up Mormonism (usually in a joking way), she's extremely against it... and I can't blame her, I've been projecting these same feelings for our entire relationship.

I suppose my question is: how do I join this religion I'm so drawn to, without disappointing the woman I love so dearly.

Thanks for the advice,

-Casey, 21 y/o

Glad to see you are drawing closer and closer to truth!

It seems like we were similar in how we felt about religion. Before I joined the church I thought the exact same things about religion. It also seems funny to me that I would become a Mormon. Never thought in a million years I would join any religion, let alone this one.

As far as getting your girl to join this religion or accept it. If I was in your shoes I would try to get her to do the same things you have done. Namely, read The Book of Mormon and dive into this religion. Tell her not to take your words for what you are feeling and take it to God. I would also be willing to bet she was praying for you to join her religion. Mention that her prayers have been answered and you have found the true church of Jesus Christ.

As far as The Book of Mormon you should check a talk out, Safety for the Soul. This is the talk that really started growing my faith. Then after it grew just a little bit of faith I received miracles. Just like it tells you in The Book of Mormon. Here is the link: Safety for the Soul - general-conference click watch on the right side and sit back in feel the spirit work strongly in you.

Also here is my mormon.org page, since we have a lot of similarities you might want to check it out. Hi I'm Tyler | Mormon | 2FN1

Casey,

Since you're only dating this woman, you need to put that into perspective.

Matthew 10:34-39

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

I don't think it's possible (right now) to have both in your life. Perhaps over time?

Luke 16:13

13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Here's another perspective: You are changing yourself, therefore changing the nature of your relationship with this woman. In a way, it really isn't fair to her because she was expecting a certain type of man in her life. Now you're "changing the playing field" on her.

Unless she joins you on this path, your breakup may be inevitable.

At least you're not married at this point. If so, the advice you receive would be different.

Casey,

Since you're only dating this woman, you need to put that into perspective.

Matthew 10:34-39

I don't think it's possible (right now) to have both in your life. Perhaps over time?

Luke 16:13

Here's another perspective: You are changing yourself, therefore changing the nature of your relationship with this woman. In a way, it really isn't fair to her because she was expecting a certain type of man in her life. Now you're "changing the playing field" on her.

Unless she joins you on this path, your breakup may be inevitable.

At least you're not married at this point. If so, the advice you receive would be different.

Well, I agree with what you are saying if she does not want to join the church.

However, it looks like God is paving the road with gold for Casey. His girl has recently started losing faith and he found the true church of Jesus Christ. It is looking like a divine hand is at play here to save two choice souls of God.

Casey, really all you have to do is tell her, eye to eye contact from your heart, what you feel. If you do that I believe she will read The Book of Mormon. And you already know from experience, what God does to those who read The Book of Mormon. You andI are good examples that the holy ghost testifies the truthfulness of The Book of Mormon.

Then if she doesn't read or respect you may want to find another girl.

Edited by Tyler90AZ

Hello All,

Thanks for the advice,

-Casey, 21 y/o

Hello All,

Thanks for the advice,

-Casey, 21 y/o

Hello Casey,

I am not going to pretend to understand your situation, and the depth of love you have for this beautiful young lady, Melissa. This is definitely a difficult decision you are now faced with, and one that has eternal consequences.

One of the most important gospel truths we face in life is defined in the Book of Mormon, "Opposition." Without opposition righteousness could not be brought to pass (2 Nephi 2: 11).

My first thoughts, I would assume the gospel was not forced on you, and neither can the gospel be forced on Melissa. I would counsel, if you have come to the point in believing in prayer and fasting, then fast and pray that her heart will be softned, that she would be willing to read the Book of Mormon herself.

I would agree with Tyler, let her know how you feel about her, how you feel about the gospel, and one of the greatest principles within the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, is eternal marriage. With such great love, as you have expressed, I would assume this thought would be pleasing to you. Only you would be able to answer, if it would be pleasing to her ears also. On my mission, a gentlemen was converted to the gospel because of this principle. He couldn't see his life without his current wife who was a member.

My second thought, the first and great commandment is to Love our God with all our heart, might, and strength. I assume you have received witnessed, which is why you are desiring to be baptized. I assume, this has brought upon you possibly one of the greatest potential hardships of your life.

In scripture, we are taught about a young lady, Esther, who married someone not of her faith, a King. As a result of her fasting, and prayer, she was able to spare the lives of many of her people.

In scripture we are taught about 4 men, who would not bow to idols, and as a result faced the consequence of death, but the Lord spared them because of their faith. Yet, in scripture, we have examples of equally righteous individuals, but were not spared death.

The point, that, no matter our consequence, we need to put God first. Not an easy aspect in the lives we live.

My final thought, is remember that with God all things are possible. Love God first, kneel and plead with our God, let him know your hearts desire. Then do your part in expressing to Melissa, your love, your desires, and your hopes. And then remember with God all things are possible. Put God first, believe He knows your heart, and then make the right choices.

I wish you the best! I hope that you will choose to follow your witness and be baptized. I pray that Melissa's heart will be softened, and that in the end you two will be married in one of the glorious temples of our God.

Best!

Andrew