What would I put in a Journal

wbrisett

I started my first journal at primary age. I wrote daily in a notebook, mostly about trivial things but it got me in the good habit of jotting down my thoughts, regardless of how random or silly they may have been. I kept this up until I was about fifteen, and then I transitioned to keeping an online journal. I still do this today, I think being able to access it online has made it beyond convenient, so I'm able to keep up with it and update whenever I feel like doing so. As for what I record, I do not write daily, it's more on the basis of every few days if exciting or memorable things are happening. Otherwise, it's about once a week or so. I just had my first child last September, so as of now, I find that I write a lot about her. If you have children, I would imagine that a lot of your day and interactions involve them in some form. If not, a journal can be used to input whatever you desire. If you read an interesting book and it invoked some deeper thoughts within you - write those feelings down. Feel like baring your testimony? You could write it down too, and as many and as often a times as you want :] Don't over think it. A journal doesn't have to be organised, and you don't have to write out long lengthy passages. But a good start, for someone just starting, every few days or at least once a week, write down what you did that day. It doesn't have to be mind-blowing but by doing this will get you into the routine of sitting down and getting it out.

I'm not very good at keeping one either. Recently while I've been reading the scriptures I'll jot stuff down, like what I think that verse means to me. Sometimes when I'm going through a tough time it feels good to write feelings down. I very rarely go back and read what I write.

I have not started keeping a journal and regret it everyday. My Sunday School teacher told me something that hit me once, "a spiritual experience recorded is like living it over and over." That is why I should be recording all my spiritual experiences. In addition, I wish I would have wrote a journal about my conversion step by step. How neat would that have been for my children? It would have been really neat and yet I still don't write one. I feel pretty ashamed sharing this...

I have kept one since I was 18yrs old....have not always wrote in it everyday.

I now try to write in it weekly. Sometimes more depending circumstances. As far as your question....its YOUR Journal....write in it whatever you want, put stuff in there of whatever you want. I had my kids when younger draw pictures and I would trace their hand and put how old they were. I enjoy going back and looking at those now. Today I let my grandkids do the same thing....draw pictures and trace their hand and show them what there Mom did etc.....

I just did a search of the forums and found a couple of threads discussing the importance of keeping a journal. I'm just wondering what should I put in a journal? How often do you actually go back and read old journal entries?

Wayne

These are topics which I write in my journal:

1. Spiritual Experiences. It has been said that we would have more miracles written about if the pioneers had written in their journals as counseled.

2. Personal Failures. Spencer W. Kimbal said that we should write about our failures and how we dealt with them.

3. Personal Success. What you have accomplished and how you accomplished it. How you felt about the accomplishment.

4. Baby Blessings. I have been intrigued by the baby blessings I have given, and how each were unique.

5. Service. Have I done any good in the world today? Especially with your own family.

6. Personal Revelation. As Elder Scott mentioned, when we right down what the Lord taught it, it is saying to the Lord that what He taught us was very important. We then are more likely to receive more revelation. On my mission, and since I have been home, one of my favorite experiences is when I receive knew knowledge of a particular topic while I was writing in my journal. A blessing of journal writing.

7. Posterity. Although I do enjoy going back once or twice a year and rereading my journal entrees (My Patriarchal Blessing tells me to look back and to feel good about what I did), however that is not the main reason we write in our journal. Our journals are for our posterity.

Remember the words of Jacob 4: 2-5 - That we write in hopes that our children will receive them with thankful hearts. That our children, above else, will know that we had faith and hope in the Lord, Jesus Christ.

Edited by Anddenex