Electronic Scriptures.

circusboy01

My Scriptures and the various other books, Teach My Gospel etc. seem to get heavier each Sunday. I'm Thinking of getting electronic scriptures. ( Is that the correct term?) One of the devices you can use is a Kindle. Right? They have the bottom of the line Kindle on Amazon for $79.00 PT/S&H. Is that a decent price, and will it work with the scriptures you can buy from LDS.org? Thanks Brother Ray

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Kindle Touch. Works great. There is a free version of the scriptures out there for Kindle. It has its own format, but also can use MOBI format. memoware.com and other places have free downloads for this stuff. You can also buy a nice version from Amazon for about $3 to load onto your Kindle. It also does PDF files, as well.

I use mine all the time, with the hymns, rs/ph manual, conference talks, and a bunch of LDS books. I have spent very little on books, and have hundreds on my Kindle.

If you get something that supports apps, you can download the one from the church for free. If you login to your church account with it, your highlights, notes and bookmarks will be anywhere you can login.

I suggest upgrading tot he Kindle Fire, unless the lesser version can handle apps?

ONLY the Kindle Fire accesses "apps." It's the only version with the Android operating system. I have the cheapest ($79) Kindle and I like it, but I regret not getting the touch version ($99). The scriptures that are free in Kindle format are no good! I bought a good version for $2.99. There is NO official version for Kindle (the non-Android ones). So, you could get a regular Kindle and get something like this (scriptures, manuals etc):

Amazon.com: LDS Scriptures - LDS eLibrary with over 350,000 Links, Standard Works, Commentary, Manuals, History, Reference, Music and more (Illustrated, over 100) eBook: LDS Church, James Talmage, Mormon, Joseph Smith, Joseph F. Smith, LDS Book Club:

Or you could get the Kindle Fire and download the official Church apps for free.

Edited by Shawn_

ONLY the Kindle Fire accesses "apps." It's the only version with the Android operating system. I have the cheapest ($79) Kindle and I like it, but I regret not getting the touch version ($99). The scriptures that are free in Kindle format are no good! I bought a good version for $2.99. There is NO official version for Kindle (the non-Android ones). So, you could get a regular Kindle and get something like this (scriptures, manuals etc):

Amazon.com: LDS Scriptures - LDS eLibrary with over 350,000 Links, Standard Works, Commentary, Manuals, History, Reference, Music and more (Illustrated, over 100) eBook: LDS Church, James Talmage, Mormon, Joseph Smith, Joseph F. Smith, LDS Book Club:

Or you could get the Kindle Fire and download the official Church apps for free.

So I need to decide what is the best deal. Get the $79 Kindle, and pay for the books I load onto it. Or. Get the Kindle Touch, and get the scripture programs for free. There's a lot I would like to put on my Kindle. Besides the standard works. Like All the "Teachings of the President's" So I'm guessing Touch would be the best way to go. Wait I've been saying Touch. Is it Fire I'm talking about? I want one that, if it's possible, I can get "Teach my Gospel on it. Which would that be? Thanks for all the good info you sent. Brother Ray

Me again. I'm always doing this. I will read an E-mail, reply, and read it again. Then realizing that I should have read it twice before I replied. The Fire is out of my price range. Everything that you gave me the link to, can be loaded onto the Touch. Right? Then I could probably get "Teach my Gospel from another source. Thanks again.

I know they wont be free, if I don't get the Fire. But. All those book for under $10.00 looks like a good deal to me.

There are no differences to what the Kindle and Kindle Touch can download. Only the Kindle Fire is different (very different). The Kindle Touch is just easier to use in my opinion. That ebook I linked to has the scriptures, Teachings of the Presidents, and other manuals, but NOT Preach My Gospel. Yes, that ebook is made for standard Kindles. I have not found Preach My Gospel at all for the Kindle (non-Fire/Android versions).

Edited by Shawn_

There are no differences to what the Kindle and Kindle Touch can download. Only the Kindle Fire is different (very different). The Kindle Touch is just easier to use in my opinion. That ebook I linked to has the scriptures, Teachings of the Presidents, and other manuals, but NOT Preach My Gospel. Yes, that ebook is made for standard Kindles. I have not found Preach My Gospel at all for the Kindle (non-Fire/Android versions).

Guess I'll go ahead and get the Touch. I'm 65 now, and ease of use may become a big factor as the years go by:) I can just keep on carrying "Teach my Gospel", and add it to Kindle if,or when it comes available. I've been carrying scriptures to Church for so long, I would probably feel naked without at least one book. Thanks again, and thanks for patiently reading all my e-mails,when one should have been sufficient. Brother Ray.

My Scriptures and the various other books, Teach My Gospel etc. seem to get heavier each Sunday. I'm Thinking of getting electronic scriptures. ( Is that the correct term?) One of the devices you can use is a Kindle. Right? They have the bottom of the line Kindle on Amazon for $79.00 PT/S&H. Is that a decent price, and will it work with the scriptures you can buy from LDS.org? Thanks Brother Ray

I have all of them on my Android, Samsung Galaxy 2s. I too found the books to heavy for an old woman. They are almost as good as the print.

I have an LDS Collection on my Kindle, it includes scriptures, hymns, major books (Lectures on Faith, etc) and 100 years of General Conf talks (Very interesting reading talks by Wilford Woodruff, etc.

That's exactly what I want. You are talking about Kindle, or Kindle Touch. Not Kindle Fire. Right? How much did everything you added cost? Thanks Brother Ray

I say go with an Android or iPad touch pad. Yes, it is so much better, because the church has an app that can be downloaded for free.

I use the apps for videos for my primary class, and it is awesome. I have all the Ensign talks, since 1976, the Standard Works, Teaching of the Prophets, all the Church manuals they make available.

Could you imagine trying to bring all these books if they weren't electronic. I love it. If you can afford a Kindle Fire, then see if you can bump yourself up to the iPad or Samsung Galaxy.

These devices have a Kindle, app, which I love also, that I use to download books. Just my opinion.

I don't carry any books anywhere because I'm really not supposed to pick up and carry much. Those books weigh a lot and it made my back hurt.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 2s through T-mobile with the LDS aps on it and I think you can get every LDS book there is, even the Ensign. It is great for Relief Society and stuff, though some of the olds still carry all those books, so they snicker at me.

In truth, the screen is too small for reading a lot, but you can do that at home.

I don't carry any books anywhere because I'm really not supposed to pick up and carry much. Those books weigh a lot and it made my back hurt.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 2s through T-mobile with the LDS aps on it and I think you can get every LDS book there is, even the Ensign. It is great for Relief Society and stuff, though some of the olds still carry all those books, so they snicker at me.

In truth, the screen is too small for reading a lot, but you can do that at home.

They snicker at you. Why? Because, you thought of a common sense way to keep from carrying all those books?:confused:

I use cheap reading (magnified) glasses when I use my computer. Makes the lettering clearer, and bigger. Might, also work for your Samsung.

I will just have to settle for whatever I can get on a Kindle. Until, such time, as I can afford a

Samsung Galaxy or similar product.

I know this doesn't really answer the OPs question but I just want to say, I'm loving my scriptures on Audio!

My husband downloaded the whole lot onto my iPhone and with the new car, I can just plug my iPhone into the USB port in my car and I get the scriptures read to me. It is awesome. I have a 15-hour trip tomorrow and I'm excited to be able to "read" the entire D&C before I get to where I'm going. The voices are soooo pleasant to listen to.

Also, all my scriptures, magazines, and RS books are in my phone and my iPad. I have LDS Tools app downloaded there also that gives me the ward directory (requires lds.org or mormon.org account) which is very helpful for VT and HT.

But yeah, I have the scriptures in the super giant size (it's like 8" x 11" size) books and that's what I use to read at home. It's a remnant from my Catholic days when the priest would read the gospel off this super giant book held by an acolyte. For some reason, I get super reverent when I'm flipping pages off this giant hard-bound book...

I know this doesn't really answer the OPs question but I just want to say, I'm loving my scriptures on Audio!

My husband downloaded the whole lot onto my iPhone and with the new car, I can just plug my iPhone into the USB port in my car and I get the scriptures read to me. It is awesome. I have a 15-hour trip tomorrow and I'm excited to be able to "read" the entire D&C before I get to where I'm going. The voices are soooo pleasant to listen to.

Also, all my scriptures, magazines, and RS books are in my phone and my iPad. I have LDS Tools app downloaded there also that gives me the ward directory (requires lds.org or mormon.org account) which is very helpful for VT and HT.

But yeah, I have the scriptures in the super giant size (it's like 8" x 11" size) books and that's what I use to read at home. It's a remnant from my Catholic days when the priest would read the gospel off this super giant book held by an acolyte. For some reason, I get super reverent when I'm flipping pages off this giant hard-bound book...

I have the 4 standard works on CD. When I read my eyes get tired, much too soon. So I love them. Brother Ray.

I have the 4 standard works on CD. When I read my eyes get tired, much too soon. So I love them. Brother Ray.

I don't know if you purchased those CDs, but just in case you did: Did you know you can download the MP3s for free from the Church's website? They're hefty downloads but, hey, free. Means if you have an MP3 player you don't have to bother with disks, and the OS standard media players are capable of converting them into either MP3 CDs or regular audio CDs when your current ones are lost or wear out.

Edited by Dravin

I don't know if you purchased those CDs, but just in case you did: Did you know you can download the MP3s for free from the Church's website? They're hefty downloads but, hey, free. Means if you have an MP3 player you don't have to bother with disks, and the OS standard media players are capable of converting them into either MP3 CDs or regular audio CDs when your current ones are lost or wear out.

That makes a lot of sense. But. I really like how these are packaged. They look good on the shelf. Brother Ray

I will have had my iPad for a couple weeks this next Monday, and I absolutely love it. I've downloaded thenchurch's app for scriptures, manuals, magazines, etc. and also the me they have for music. They are very easy to use,and I like how if iever get chosen to give a talk, the. I can put everything together in one documenting the church app and it will automatically link to my resources. Just my 2 cents. Like you, I also started to get a little tired of the heavy Sunday book load! :)

I will have had my iPad for a couple weeks this next Monday, and I absolutely love it. I've downloaded thenchurch's app for scriptures, manuals, magazines, etc. and also the me they have for music. They are very easy to use,and I like how if iever get chosen to give a talk, the. I can put everything together in one documenting the church app and it will automatically link to my resources. Just my 2 cents. Like you, I also started to get a little tired of the heavy Sunday book load! :)

I would love to get an iPad. But, I am on a fixed income, and Kindles are so much cheaper. Brother Ray

Last year I invested in the Nook Color and for me it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I am not as familiar with the Kindle but my husband has one and he says my Nook has more features.

With cover and accessories it is slightly smaller than the Hymn book and it's all I need to carry to church, travel, waiting in a Doctors office etc:

I love to read from many genre and this Nook has "shelves like a electronic library where I can catagorize the subject matter.

For instance one shelf is all LDS reading and includes my Quad scriptures, Hymn Book, Gospel Principles, Preach My Gospel, Teachings Of The Presidents Of The Church, Daughters Of My Kingdom, and even a copy of "Chicken Soup For the Latter Day Saints Soul" which is just for fun leisure reading.

Another shelf may have favorite fiction, and another health and wellness books, and another non fiction, political etc:

There is also email and internet when a wi-fi connect is available but not nearly as efficient as a large desktop or large screen laptop.

There are a lot of apps that I haven't even figured out yet. But I did find a useful visual and audio relaxation app, and also my favorite mahjong game.

If you are just looking for a reader Kindle is great, but I have just found the Nook more useful overall. I believe I paid $249.00 on QVC a year ago with all accessories and free shipping; and they had a 5 month easy payment plan which made the purchase less painful.

I hope you enjpy whatever you decide.

Last year I invested in the Nook Color and for me it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I am not as familiar with the Kindle but my husband has one and he says my Nook has more features.

With cover and accessories it is slightly smaller than the Hymn book and it's all I need to carry to church, travel, waiting in a Doctors office etc:

I love to read from many genre and this Nook has "shelves like a electronic library where I can catagorize the subject matter.

For instance one shelf is all LDS reading and includes my Quad scriptures, Hymn Book, Gospel Principles, Preach My Gospel, Teachings Of The Presidents Of The Church, Daughters Of My Kingdom, and even a copy of "Chicken Soup For the Latter Day Saints Soul" which is just for fun leisure reading.

Another shelf may have favorite fiction, and another health and wellness books, and another non fiction, political etc:

There is also email and internet when a wi-fi connect is available but not nearly as efficient as a large desktop or large screen laptop.

There are a lot of apps that I haven't even figured out yet. But I did find a useful visual and audio relaxation app, and also my favorite mahjong game.

If you are just looking for a reader Kindle is great, but I have just found the Nook more useful overall. I believe I paid $249.00 on QVC a year ago with all accessories and free shipping; and they had a 5 month easy payment plan which made the purchase less painful.

I hope you enjpy whatever you decide.

That sounds great, and with the 5 month easy payment plan, I'd have no problem affording it. Don't know why. But I thought you could only get Nooks from Barns & Noble.

QVC is on TV right? is it also on line? Wait. I can find out on my own. Thanks I really think I'm going to go with the Nook.

That sounds great, and with the 5 month easy payment plan, I'd have no problem affording it. Don't know why. But I thought you could only get Nooks from Barns & Noble.

QVC is on TV right? is it also on line? Wait. I can find out on my own. Thanks I really think I'm going to go with the Nook.

Yes. Mine is called the Nook color. QVC (the online and TV shopping channel) sells them. I had bought mine last year for $249 with 5 easy payments which made it affordable for me. I checked their site and they currently have one for $280 with only 2 easy payments but that changes. You may want to wait on a sale with more payments offered, and also check with them for their free shipping offers. This one item number E222235 has a video on their website of what it can do. On the video shows that it was $239.99 with 5 easy payments. The sales come up pretty often. Good luck with whatever you decide.