Electronic Scriptures.

circusboy01

That sounds great, and with the 5 month easy payment plan, I'd have no problem affording it. Don't know why. But I thought you could only get Nooks from Barns & Noble.

QVC is on TV right? is it also on line? Wait. I can find out on my own. Thanks I really think I'm going to go with the Nook.

I have a nook, and haven't used it since I got my pad, it just sits in my desk drawer. If your budget can afford another few months of payment, at $399, instead of $249, you will be able to get an iPad, with many more features and capabilities.

I am only saying this because I wasted $200 in getting my nook. However, if you are sold on the nook, then get it.

Either way, they definitely are better than holding scriptures and lighter as has already been said.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nook, and haven't used it since I got my pad, it just sits in my desk drawer. If your budget can afford another few months of payment, at $399, instead of $249, you will be able to get an iPad, with many more features and capabilities.

I am only saying this because I wasted $200 in getting my nook. However, if you are sold on the nook, then get it.

Either way, they definitely are better than holding scriptures and lighter as has already been said.

I think I'll go with the Nook. LDSJEWESS seems to really likeit.. But thanks for the suggestion.

Yes. Mine is called the Nook color. QVC (the online and TV shopping channel) sells them. I had bought mine last year for $249 with 5 easy payments which made it affordable for me. I checked their site and they currently have one for $280 with only 2 easy payments but that changes. You may want to wait on a sale with more payments offered, and also check with them for their free shipping offers. This one item number E222235 has a video on their website of what it can do. On the video shows that it was $239.99 with 5 easy payments. The sales come up pretty often. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks I'll see what kind of a deal they will make me, Brother ray

I take my iPod touch to church, with a ton of stuff loaded on the free LDS Gospel Library app. Magazines going back to 1971, all the manuals used on a sunday, the hymns, and of course the scriptures.

Looks like I can get all that on a Nook Color, and it looks like I can get a real good deal.

LDSJewess. I'm going to get a refurbished one from GYTrade through Amazon for $115.00 I've added a cover and a anti- glare screen. with tax it comes to$131.79. I bought a refurbished E-machine a few years back. Came in the same box that a new one would come in. Had the same warrenties. Could not tell it from a new one Hoping this will be the same. I just wish I didn't have to wait until the first of the month.

When I get it I will be asking you where to get all the stuff you have on yours. Thanks again for your first post. It sure led me in the right direction. Brother Ray

Oh one quick question. Can you change the font size on a Nook?

That is a great deal. Good luck with it.

Yes there is a font change feature to enlarge the font, move pages out and forward etc:

As I said mine is a year old and has tons of downloads, books, apps etc: and it works just as well as the day it came out of the box.

The customer service is great too. A few weeks ago I took an extended trip and an altercation between two grandchildren bent the charger chord. We went to a local Barnes and Noble and they replaced the cord for free no questions asked.

Best of luck with yours.

That is a great deal. Good luck with it.

Yes there is a font change feature to enlarge the font, move pages out and forward etc:

As I said mine is a year old and has tons of downloads, books, apps etc: and it works just as well as the day it came out of the box.

The customer service is great too. A few weeks ago I took an extended trip and an altercation between two grandchildren bent the charger chord. We went to a local Barnes and Noble and they replaced the cord for free no questions asked.

Best of luck with yours.

Thanks for all your help.

• 3 weeks later...

IMO, the biggest advantage of just using Calibre to convert them is that you can set it to automatically convert while it's sending them to the device. I've not been terribly impressed with PDF conversions (and I use a Nook Simple Touch that can read PDFs just fine anyway) but converting between the various formats intended for readers seems to work pretty well.

There are good versions for free at Memoware.

EReader Doc:

http://memoware.com/?screen=doc_detail&doc_id=20614&p=title^!lds%20scriptures~!description^!lds%20scriptures~!author^!lds%20scriptures~!

Mobi format:

http://memoware.com/?screen=doc_detail&doc_id=14450&p=title^!lds%20scriptures~!description^!lds%20scriptures~!author^!lds%20scriptures~!

Kindle Format (There are several to choose from 99 cents to 9.99)

Amazon.com: lds scriptures: Kindle Store

Kindle will take Mobi, Doc (EReader, not Microsoft) format, and PDF, as well as Kindle.

I think I found what I want, and need, from the Kindle Format link you provided. LDS Scriptures for $9.95. Seems to have everything Except Priesthood manuals "Teachings of the Presidents" But I know it must be available. I just haven't found it yet. I'm thinking of also getting Works of James E. Talmage. There would be room for both Right? How does this work? Do I get a disk for my PC and transfer it from my PC to my Kindle?

Do you think I made good choices? If you have suggestions for a better way to go. Please tell me. Thanks for all your help Brother Ray

Edited by circusboy01

I think I found what I want, and need, from the Kindle Format link you provided. LDS Scriptures for $9.95. Seems to have everything Except Priesthood manuals "Teachings of the Presidents" But I know it must be available. I just haven't found it yet. I'm thinking of also getting Works of James E. Talmage. There would be room for both Right? How does this work? Do I get a disk for my PC and transfer it from my PC to my Kindle?

Do you think I made good choices? If you have suggestions for a better way to go. Please tell me. Thanks for all your help Brother Ray

NightSG stated that you can use Calibre, here is a link that can better inform you its abilities and how to's.The Calibre will transfer and convert .epub formatted documents to your Kindle device so that different formatted books can be read on your Kindle. The link:

How to read EPUB books on your Kindle

NightSG stated that you can use Calibre, here is a link that can better inform you its abilities and how to's.The Calibre will transfer and convert .epub formatted documents to your Kindle device so that different formatted books can be read on your Kindle. The link:

How to read EPUB books on your Kindle

The link showed me how to use Calibre seems easy enough. What format of LDS Scriptures do I use? Where do I find them? Does it have everything I mentioned that I wanted?

Thanks again

The link showed me how to use Calibre seems easy enough. What format of LDS Scriptures do I use? Where do I find them? Does it have everything I mentioned that I wanted?

Thanks again

It's always best to start with an ereader format, so if you need it for Kindle, start with an ePub file and convert it rather than trying to work from a raw text file or a pdf. Those just don't convert well, but ePub is already intended for reading on a pretty similar device, so the conversion seems to work smoothly and leave you with a file that's fairly easy to read.

The ePubs from the church website should convert just fine. E-Book Manuals

It's always best to start with an ereader format, so if you need it for Kindle, start with an ePub file and convert it rather than trying to work from a raw text file or a pdf. Those just don't convert well, but ePub is already intended for reading on a pretty similar device, so the conversion seems to work smoothly and leave you with a file that's fairly easy to read.

The ePubs from the church website should convert just fine. E-Book Manuals

Thank you for the link. One last question, and I'm pretty sure I can stop bugging you. ;0) Can I use two different formats? the reason I ask is ePubs does not include a Hymn book. But, the Kindle format link from your first post does. Once again thanks Brother Ray

Can I use two different formats? the reason I ask is ePubs does not include a Hymn book.

If you're using Calibre, you can pull pretty much any format into its library, then just have it auto convert everything as you're putting it on your device. I'm using it with a Nook, and haven't had any trouble pulling in 3-4 different formats at once and letting it convert the ones that my reader doesn't understand natively.

I haven't found a hymn book in any reader format that includes the sheet music and lets you go straight to a hymn by number the way the Android app does, but I haven't really looked for Kindle stuff all that much.

If you're using Calibre, you can pull pretty much any format into its library, then just have it auto convert everything as you're putting it on your device. I'm using it with a Nook, and haven't had any trouble pulling in 3-4 different formats at once and letting it convert the ones that my reader doesn't understand natively.

I haven't found a hymn book in any reader format that includes the sheet music and lets you go straight to a hymn by number the way the Android app does, but I haven't really looked for Kindle stuff all that much.

Thanks. I really don't need the sheet music. just an electronic version of the Hymn book.

Brother Ray

I am from the tech sector . In my off time..If I could ever help it...stay way from the pc. Nothing more beautiful then simplicity. It annoys me when people use pads and cell phones. Today I walked into a swamp to discover new berries, found a new cherry tree. It gave me more peace then anything else today.

How hard is it to pickup a bom or bible and look up the info?

Not hard to pick up, but not nearly as easy to carry as my rooted Nook Simple Touch with all the church's ePub files (quad, most manuals, etc.) plus the Gospel Library app.

I'm tempted to wander into the media center with a scale and see what that would weigh in paper form. 38 years of Ensign would probably require a handcart just by itself.

I am from the tech sector . In my off time..If I could ever help it...stay way from the pc. Nothing more beautiful then simplicity. It annoys me when people use pads and cell phones. Today I walked into a swamp to discover new berries, found a new cherry tree. It gave me more peace then anything else today.

Just a Bible or just a Book of Mormon wouldn't be so bad. But each Sunday I carry to church

A Quad, Preach my Gospel, Teachings of the Presidents, Our Heritage, Gospel Principles, and a Clipboard. I'll be 66 in August. I have Arthritis throughout my body, and the weight is getting too hard to carry. I also have Neuropathy (spelling?) which plays heck with my feet, and the weight doesn't help. I've opened my Scriptures for many years, and they, by no means will be shut for ever. On top of that. My eyesight is going. Probably because of the Diabetes, so I will probably start needing "Large Print" Scriptures, which will be even heavier

Brother Ray.

Just a Bible or just a Book of Mormon wouldn't be so bad. But each Sunday I carry to church

A Quad, Preach my Gospel, Teachings of the Presidents, Our Heritage, Gospel Principles, and a Clipboard. I'll be 66 in August. I have Arthritis throughout my body, and the weight is getting too hard to carry. I also have Neuropathy (spelling?) which plays heck with my feet, and the weight doesn't help. I've opened my Scriptures for many years, and they, by no means will be shut for ever. On top of that. My eyesight is going. Probably because of the Diabetes, so I will probably start needing "Large Print" Scriptures, which will be even heavier

Brother Ray.

when I can afford a Kindle (saving slowly) I'll be getting one. And doing the same thing you are. thank you for this thread I'm sure i"ll need it in a few months.

bcguy, I carry all my books, plus a bag for my grandson. My arms are killing me. I understand your situation. Being immersed in a medium can bring limitations. It works both ways.

I don't get this. Being from the Tech Sector you would be the first to understand how pads and cellphones add to the simplicity.

I'm a programmer myself. When it's dinner time, I'm not going to the swamp to find berries. I'm pulling out my handy-dandy electronic device to find a recipe with what I find in the fridge. I programmed the thing for that exact reason.

I don't find simplicity in a horse and carriage. I find hard work. I find simplicity in my touch-button keyless ignition. If I can program the driver seat in my car to move to the correct spot (I'm 5 foot nothing, my husband is 6 foot 2, the driver seat gets moved a lot) the minute my butt hits the leather, that would be simplicity right there.

So, my husband had to go on an airplane to join our July 4 vacation. He went paperless. He got his boarding passes right there on his cellphone so he can just get the airport reader to read the pass from his cellphone. Makes everything so simple instead of having to print the pass, print the itinerary, and hopefully it doesn't get lost by the time he throws everything on the airport security basket, print the other boarding pass for the other leg of the flight...

Yesterday, we walked the 2.5 hike around the San Jacinto Battlegrounds for my family's Independence Day activity. Instead of using up printer paper to print the narratives that went with the landmarks and have everyone their own copy... we all whipped out our electronic devices (uhm yeah, my kids have their own - the tracking device on those things are cool if your kid gets lost while you're touring, say, Disneyworld) where the BSA have the narratives on pdf. We took turns reading the narrative that went with the 5 major landmarks around the 2.5 mile hike. It was an awesome experience.

The next time we go on our nature hikes, the GPS on our device would point us to the best place to go... Right now, there's these caverns close to San Antonio that my phone is telling me is a great place to check out... complete with a video of the ziplines so we know what to expect. Sweet.

I love nature... it's not gonna stay there too long if we have to use up quadzillion pages of "I killed a tree" paper every single time a guy loses his book of mormon... so yeah, hurray to simplicity. Makes the world a better place in my opinion.

And that's why I love my progamming job. If I'm not doing it for money, I'm still going to be doing it for the amazing things I can accomplish with it. It's just awesome the things we can do these days!

P.S. While driving to the battlegrounds, we passed by a church that had Matt 11:28 on the billboard. My kid paused from playing this pictionary game on his electronic device to get to his scriptures on the same electronic device so he can find out what that chapter and verse said.

Edited by anatess