Beards

Jamie123

I'm growing a beard.

Not (I hasten to add) that I want to look like a hairy ape, but because I'm appearing in an amateur dramatic performance later this month, in a role which requires me to have one.

Now someone on this forum suggested a few years back that Mormons should follow the example of the General Autthorities, all of whom are cleanshaven, e.g.

Posted Image

and not that of Charles Manson:

Posted Image

Well that's OK as far as Mormons go.

But I actually belong to the Anglican Church, the leader of which is Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury:

Posted Image

And what are we to make of....

Santa Claus

Gandalf

Abe Lincoln

6 of the 7 Dwarfs

Brigham Young (except when he appears in Sherlock Holmes books)

King Edward VII

General William Booth

Ulysses S Grant

James Clerk Maxwell

Murdo (from The McTickles - 1970's comic strip from The Beano)

Guru Nanak

Tevye (Topol's character from Fiddler on the Roof)

etc...etc...etc.....?

To be honest though, I don't much like having a beard. It's itchy and strange, and I keep fighting the urge to shave it off. I could wear a false one of course, but....well I like to do these things properly. So please don't think too harshly of me over the next hairy itchy month:

Posted Image

Once you've had a beard long enough it stops being all itchy and annoying, when first growing a beard in though it can be quite distracting. I've had my goatee before my mission and after my mission, post mission is going on 4 years now so I'm long past the itchy scratchy phase of things. Also long past the, "That doesn't look like me!" stage.

I love my husband's beard. He's worn a full beard for a couple of years now. He keeps it trimmed and well-groomed. I think it's sexy.

But he told me if he got called into the bishopric or something he'd shave it off. He was in the EQ presidency and I think he wasn't the only one there with either a beard or goatee.

Hidden

Our HPGL recently signed up all the adult (endowed) men in the ward to be trained as veil workers. This was discussed in the announcements during Priesthood meeting, where the men were encouraged to go to the temple and ask for training, which would be immediately provided. What a wonderful blessing and so forth. After a couple of minutes of discussion, just as things were winding down, someone pointed out, "Oh, to be a veil worker, you must be clean-shaven." At which point the guy sitting behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Guess I'm not going to be a veil worker."

Coincidentally, this same brother, an elder, will very soon be joining us in the high priest group. Our group leader has a sense of humor just twisted enough that Brother Bearded may soon find himself with an assignment...

This thread reminded me of:

A young boy had just got his driver's permit and inquired of his father, an evangelist, if they could discuss the use of the car. His father took him to the study and said to the boy, "I'll make a deal with you, son. You bring your grades up from a C to a B-average, study your Bible a little, and get your hair cut and we'll talk about the car."

Well, the boy thought about that for a moment and decided that he'd best settle for the offer, and they agreed. After about six weeks the boy came back and again asked his father about the car.

Again, they went to the study where his father said, "Son, I've been real proud of you. You've brought your grades up, and I've observed that you've been studying your Bible and participating a lot more in the Bible study class on Sunday morning. But I'm real disappointed since you haven't got your hair cut."

The young man paused a moment and then said, "You know dad, I've been thinking about that and I've noticed in my studies of the Bible that Samson had long hair, Moses had long hair, John the Baptist had long hair, and there's even strong argument that Jesus himself had long hair."

To which his father replied, "You're right, son. Did you also notice that they all WALKED everywhere they went?"

source: Grades Jokes | Funny Humor by Joke Buddha

I'm growing a beard.

Not (I hasten to add) that I want to look like a hairy ape, but because I'm appearing in an amateur dramatic performance later this month, in a role which requires me to have one.

Now someone on this forum suggested a few years back that Mormons should follow the example of the General Autthorities, all of whom are cleanshaven, e.g.

Posted Image

and not that of Charles Manson:

Posted Image

Well that's OK as far as Mormons go.

But I actually belong to the Anglican Church, the leader of which is Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury:

Posted Image

And what are we to make of....

Santa Claus

Gandalf

Abe Lincoln

6 of the 7 Dwarfs

Brigham Young (except when he appears in Sherlock Holmes books)

King Edward VII

General William Booth

Ulysses S Grant

James Clerk Maxwell

Murdo (from The McTickles - 1970's comic strip from The Beano)

Guru Nanak

Tevye (Topol's character from Fiddler on the Roof)

etc...etc...etc.....?

To be honest though, I don't much like having a beard. It's itchy and strange, and I keep fighting the urge to shave it off. I could wear a false one of course, but....well I like to do these things properly. So please don't think too harshly of me over the next hairy itchy month:

Posted Image

Off topic but that Archbishop looks so much like my husband, it is weird. I saw a different phot of him once on the news and was wondering why they had a photo of my husband. lol.

When I was called into the Bishopric I was asked to shave at the "direction of the bretheren"

I had never heard of such an instruction other than for the bretheren themselves or the temple. I did it. Recently we attended a training for bishoprics that included various other stakes from the region. Guess what? A ton of them had beards and goatees, etc...

All of our stake asked the Stake President what that was all about, he said he didnt know. He inquired to his higher ups and they said, no it's not a requirement, but do you see the bretheren doing it? I was told this and rebelled a little and grew out my soul patch again. So many people hear something a GA says to a new level. It was never supposed to be a requirement.

I was just released due to our ward splitting (I really think it was because the ward split and not due to the patch!) and guess what I am growing out? Yep, my Al Borland beard!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a beard and i love it and my wife loves it and thats all that matters.

My wife doesn't like mine. She says as soon as the play's over it's coming off!

(BTW, the beard's longer now and I'm starting to look very much like Mr. Twit!)

Posted Image

Hugtight Sticky Glue - perfect for making bird pie!

Edited by Jamie123

I don't like full-on beards or goatees. Could be an age thing though, like for women drawn to stockings versus women not drawn to them. Anyway, I guess I wish my husband was more rigid about shaving off his soul patch/ chin curtain because he looks mighty fine with that look ;] He'll grow it for awhile and then just get sick of it and one day it'll be POOF gone.

Oh man, I love beards. It makes me a little sad that my husband has weirdly patchy facial hair. But one of my good friends has had a beard for as long as I've known him, and it doesn't make him less spiritual or less worthy of respect. He was EQ President for a while, before he got married and left YSA. I always say that I like a man with facial hair because it lets me know that he has gone through puberty. I think following the example of the GAs means acting like them. As far as I see it, God gave us facial hair. It's society's problem, not mine, if facial hair becomes associated with 'sinful' lifestyles.

Well, we've had beard threads before......................................

Unless you're a missionary (or the like), I don't think the Church takes an official position.

In some temples, you must be clean-shaven to assist in ordinance work.

When I was called into the Bishopric I was asked to shave at the "direction of the bretheren"

I had never heard of such an instruction other than for the bretheren themselves or the temple. I did it. Recently we attended a training for bishoprics that included various other stakes from the region. Guess what? A ton of them had beards and goatees, etc...

All of our stake asked the Stake President what that was all about, he said he didnt know. He inquired to his higher ups and they said, no it's not a requirement, but do you see the bretheren doing it? I was told this and rebelled a little and grew out my soul patch again. So many people hear something a GA says to a new level. It was never supposed to be a requirement.

I was just released due to our ward splitting (I really think it was because the ward split and not due to the patch!) and guess what I am growing out? Yep, my Al Borland beard!

I have a full grey beard. Haven't measured it, but I think it's about 8" long. and I'm training my mustache into a handlebar. Didn't know how the beard would go over when I started back to church. I was inactive for about 2 years. I got nothing but Hey nice beard. How long have you been growing it. Things like that. Had an appointment with my Bishop to talk about getting my Temple recommend renewed.Turns out it's too soon. I haven't been back to church long enough. Have to wait until September. I asked him about beards and the Temple. He said beards are fine. The only time you have to be clean shaven is if you are a Temple worker. Some recent instruction. ( I'm not sure how recent.) to Temple Workers. If a member has a valid Temple Recommend, let them in. Don't judge them. He also mentioned that a Bishop, in another ward in town, wore a beard. One last thing. Until you grow out your Al Borland You don't have a beard. A soul patch is not a beard. Just my opinion. But I'm sure other beard growers would agree. Brother Ray.