Evil

Here ya go:

2 Nephi 2:11*

How does the Devil go above and beyond the temptation provided from ourselves by the fall?

I think our unrighteous desires would be easy to suppress without the devil. The Holy Spirit would be so strong within us that no temptation could conquer us. That is what the Devil provides, the opposite of the still small voice. That is also why without the spirit in our lives the Devil is our master. Without the spirit nothing would stop us from doing his will and giving in to our carnal desires.

The Devil uses our natural desires to further his purpose. That is why it is important that we don't even let the natural man pop his head up. The natural man is only within us by sinning. To eliminate all sin from our lives, eliminates the devil. The devil only has power over us through our natural desires, he can not go beyond that.

He, the devil, uses what God created us with against us. If it was not for the fall, all of these desires that weigh us down would be in their perfect place. The fall, however, made them unrighteous desires. Thus, being the Devils tool to tempt us.

How does the Devil go above and beyond the temptation provided from ourselves by the fall?

I think our unrighteous desires would be easy to suppress without the devil. The Holy Spirit would be so strong within us that no temptation could conquer us. That is what the Devil provides, the opposite of the still small voice. That is also why without the spirit in our lives the Devil is our master. Without the spirit nothing would stop us from doing his will and giving in to our carnal desires.

The Devil uses our natural desires to further his purpose. That is why it is important that we don't even let the natural man pop his head up. The natural man is only within us by sinning. To eliminate all sin from our lives, eliminates the devil. The devil only has power over us through our natural desires, he can not go beyond that.

He, the devil, uses what God created us with against us. If it was not for the fall, all of these desires that weigh us down would be in their perfect place. The fall, however, made them unrighteous desires. Thus, being the Devils tool to tempt us.

The first step towards evil and sin is self indulgence. It is an easy step and requires hardly any effort at all - just going along is enough of a start.

The first step towards good is the very opposite - the discipline that begins with the sacrifice of self. Compared to the first step towards evil this first step is difficult - Thus the temptation is the give up is always a consideration.

The Traveler

The first step towards evil and sin is self indulgence. It is an easy step and requires hardly any effort at all - just going along is enough of a start.

The first step towards good is the very opposite - the discipline that begins with the sacrifice of self. Compared to the first step towards evil this first step is difficult - Thus the temptation is the give up is always a consideration.

The Traveler

So we should become ascetics? Sorry, but I don't believe in sacrifice for the sake of sacrifice. Rather, I think the Gospel is about relationships. If we are selfish, that is, we focus on our own desires to the point where we would hurt other people in order to meet our desires, that's evil. But the mere act of enjoying something does not have to be a problem. In fact, I plan on enjoying the carnal pleasures of a Chinese dinner tonight after work, and I won't feel guilty about it at all! ;)

Should we exercise self-control and discipline? Of course! Eating too much food can make you fat. More important, if we are so self-indulgent that we ignore other people's needs, well, we need to repent.

"Devil," btw, is from the Greek "diabolos," the Accuser. He is the one who points the finger at people and tears them down. He is the one who scapegoats other people, rather than taking responsibility for himself.

Jesus is the Advocate, the Comforter, the Paraclete, who speaks up to defend the scapegoats and help people take responsibility for their own actions rather than blaming others. He lifts people up, teaches people how to get along and improve relationships, and establishes peace.

I don't have definitive answers to all your questions, MasterOrator, but they are good questions. If it weren't for the Devil's actions, or the actions of ordinary people who behave devilishly, the world would look very different, and be a much more pleasant place. On the other hand, learning to deal with opposition can be a path to growth. The way I see it, God has essentially taken the stumbling block, or skandalon, that the Devil put in our way, and turned it into a building block. Satan chose to do evil, but God is more intelligent and than he is, and figured out how to turn Satan's rebellion to good ends, and is essentially using Satan as a pawn.

So we should become ascetics? Sorry, but I don't believe in sacrifice for the sake of sacrifice. Rather, I think the Gospel is about relationships. If we are selfish, that is, we focus on our own desires to the point where we would hurt other people in order to meet our desires, that's evil. But the mere act of enjoying something does not have to be a problem. In fact, I plan on enjoying the carnal pleasures of a Chinese dinner tonight after work, and I won't feel guilty about it at all! ;)

Should we exercise self-control and discipline? Of course! Eating too much food can make you fat. More important, if we are so self-indulgent that we ignore other people's needs, well, we need to repent.

I am wondering more about my postings on this forum. From the movie “Cool Hand Luke” there is a quote that has become quite popular in a number of settings. The line is something like - “What we have here is a failure to communicate.” I seem to have too much difficulty communicating what seem to me to be very logical straight forward ideas. But from questions I am getting I am wondering if what I thought I was expressing as a simple concept is even in the same universe readers seem to be understanding.

As far as sacrifice I cannot think of anything that has not ever been accomplished nor do I believe anything has ever been accomplished (of any value) without some degree of sacrifice. I cannot understand how discipline can take place without sacrifice. To learn to play a musical instrument requires practice - which is in essence discipline and sacrifice. So also is living on a budget. If a person is not disciplined in what they eat and willing to make sacrifices they will soon discover that their health will begin to limit their activities - a kind of bondage. Any kind of study employs discipline and sacrifice and I personally have doubts about anyone entering into a marriage that thinks that discipline and sacrifice is not necessary ingredient for success in marriage.

I have no idea what you mean by sacrifice for the sake of sacrifice being meaningless. Especially in a religious context, sacrifice also means to make sacred - not just to give up. Making something sacred (sacrifice) without sacred context makes no sense to me - but sacrifice just for the sake righteousness - seems reason enough for me. In fact I do not believe one can claim to love G-d and think that any sacrifice for G-d is meaningless.

As far as eating a Chinese dinner? I do not know how you can think that there is any possibility that will or could happen without someone involved in the discipline and sacrifice to prepare such a meal. If you are not willing to give thanks (a form of sacrifice) to G-d for your Chinese dinner and you fully intend to enjoy your meal without any thought of thanks or effort by yourself or anyone else - Good luck with that attitude.

The Traveler

Evil or temptation would not be be an issue without Satan's influence.

Human Beings are born with the Light of Christ. They are incapable of Sin. This is why children are not baptized until 8 years old a nd the age of accountability.

However, if Satan were not aroudn to tempt or influence us, there would be no outside influence to provide good vs evil choices and actions. Therefore, all choices would be made moot, and the plan would fail.

The thing a lot of people do not realize is that Satan made a choice to become who he did. We, too, need to be tempted in order to command our bodies and thoughts in order to become as Christlike as possible, thereby qualifying ourselves to be cleansed by the atonement and prepare us for the Celestial Kingdom.

Satan's plan was to take away our choice and make it so everybody would qualify for Celestial Glory. God knew this would not work and therefore allowed Satan to fall and appointed his Son to provide teh atoning sacrifice needed so that we (when tempted by Satan) would have a way to overcome his evil influences.

Human Beings are born with the Light of Christ. They are incapable of Sin. This is why children are not baptized until 8 years old a nd the age of accountability.

However, if Satan were not aroudn to tempt or influence us, there would be no outside influence to provide good vs evil choices and actions. Therefore, all choices would be made moot, and the plan would fail.

The thing a lot of people do not realize is that Satan made a choice to become who he did. We, too, need to be tempted in order to command our bodies and thoughts in order to become as Christlike as possible, thereby qualifying ourselves to be cleansed by the atonement and prepare us for the Celestial Kingdom.

Satan's plan was to take away our choice and make it so everybody would qualify for Celestial Glory. God knew this would not work and therefore allowed Satan to fall and appointed his Son to provide teh atoning sacrifice needed so that we (when tempted by Satan) would have a way to overcome his evil influences.

Baloney. Humans are more than capable of sinning without any encouragement from Satan.

Not true.

Adam and Eve were not capable of making choices without Satan's influence in the Garden of Eden. that is why God allowed him to enter into the Garden and tempt them. They needed to be tested (just as we need to be tested) in order to see which path we would then choose to make.

It's a chicken and egg situation, how can you choose between A and B if only A is available?

Orson F. Whitney stated:

Sin is the transgression of divine law, as made known through the conscience or by revelation.

A man sins when he violates his conscience, going contrary to light and knowledge-not the light and knowledge that has come to his neighbor, but that which has come to himself. He sins when he does the opposite of what he knows to be right. Up to that point he only blunders. One may suffer painful consequences for only blundering, bu the cannot commit sin unless he knows better than to do the thing in which the sin consists. One must have a conscience before he can violate it."

2 Nephi 9:25: "Where there is no law given there is no punishment; and where there is no punishment there is no condemnation."

Alma 29:5: "He that knoweth not good from evil is blameless."

Speaking of Adam and Eve's choices in the garden:

2 Nephi 2:23, " ...they would have remained in a sate of innocence, having no joy, fo rthey knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin."

Bruce R. McConkie, page 735-736 of Mormon Doctrine : Heading: SIN :

Sin is of the devil. "Whatsoever is evil cometh from the devil." Alma 5:40. He is the master of sin (mosiah 4:14), the author of all sin (helaman 6:30); he is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually and inviteth and and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually." (moroni 7:12).

During hte Millenium, when Satan is bound, "children shall gorw up without sin unto salvation." (D and C 45:58) By committing sin men place themselves in subjection to Satan (D and C 29:40); they become his servants and receive "wages of him." (alma 5:38-43)

It is clear that Sin is only on the Earth due to the presence of Satan as he is the one who tempts us to do evil continually. If that were not so, then one would be making the argument that God has placed us in an unwinnable situation where he leads us to temptation, which he does not. That would be contrary to his plan for all of us, which is to be happy and return to His presence.

I am wondering if you have any children? Do you believe children never need correction or discipline? It appears to me that children are capable of sin - but are not held accountable under the atonement of Christ - which is the actual reason they do not need to be baptized until they reach the age of accountable. In scripture Jesus talks with the parents of a boy that is possessed by a unclean spirit. He ask the parents how long has the boy suffered and the parents answer since infancy. Jesus then proceeds to cast out the evil spirit.

It appears to me that you previous two paragraphs are in contradiction to each other. If temptation is necessary before a person will consider an evil act - then who was it that tempted Satan? I agree that Satan made a choice to become evil but what elements are necessary in order to make a choice between good and evil. I do not believe that we can count it as a choice if someone is deceived as to what it really is they are choosing.

If you choose to go to SLC and get on a jet scheduled for SLC but the plan all along was to send the jet to Las Vegas without you knowing - it cannot be said that you choose to go to Las Vegas. Someone lied to you about where the jet was really going. And Satan is a liar. Following Satan is not a choice but the loss of choice. Which is what you say in the next paragraph.

It seems clear to me that part of the reason we came to mortality to experience the difference between good and evil. We all experience both - What then is the experience of good and evil that even a small 1 hour old child experiences?

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Regarding the question of who tempted Satan:

When we were in the pre-existence, we had kept our estates up to that point. We had choice. If you remember, during the council of heaven, we had our choice to choose which side we wanted to support: Heavenly Father's or Satans. As you and I are both here on the Earth, we chose to follow Christ.

Just because we are on this Earth experiencing a NEW kind of temptation (physically related) due to our bodies, this does not mean that we did not have opportunities to choose prior to coming here.

Who influenced Satan? I would imagine that just as God (not Jesus Christ) is in deference to His Father, His Father had an opposer at one point. Remember that God was once as we are now, but he has chosen righteousness and now rules over all of His Creations. That knowledge leads us to know that He was tempted when He was a man. Was Satan there? No. Satan was not there as he is a Spirit Child of Heavenly Father. However, in order for God to go from man to exalted being ruling over kingdoms and principalities, he would have to overcome temptation as well. I would think that it is the being that tempted God during his time in mortality that tempted Satan prior to the council in heaven.

I also think that Satans biggest problem wasn't necessarily his idea of not allowing us to choose. Sure it was contradictory to what God wanted, but his main issue was that he was prideful and wanted to keep the glory for himself.

I do have three children and see what you are trying to illustrate. However, Orson F. Whitney's quote above shows the difference between sin and making errors (which is what I believe children do as they are NOT PROPERLY TAUGHT YET):

Orson F. Whitney stated:

Sin is the transgression of divine law, as made known through the conscience or by revelation.

A man sins when he violates his conscience, going contrary to light and knowledge-not the light and knowledge that has come to his neighbor, but that which has come to himself. He sins when he does the opposite of what he knows to be right. Up to that point he only blunders. One may suffer painful consequences for only blundering, bu the cannot commit sin unless he knows better than to do the thing in which the sin consists. One must have a conscience before he can violate it."

When I was on my mission, my companion saw somebody drinking on the street with a joint in their hand. He said, "Oh my gosh, Elder...that person is SO bad." I was like, "dude, he hasn't been taught what we have been taught. He's only living life according to his knowledge."

That is why it's essential for us to take the gospel to all the world, so we can all be judged accordingly and in righteousness.

Not true.

Adam and Eve were not capable of making choices without Satan's influence in the Garden of Eden. that is why God allowed him to enter into the Garden and tempt them. They needed to be tested (just as we need to be tested) in order to see which path we would then choose to make.

It's a chicken and egg situation, how can you choose between A and B if only A is available?

They only had to be tempted by the Devil because they had not fallen yet. Since they were not fallen all their desires were in perfect place. From study I believe that all the things which tempt us from the fall can be put in perfect place. Even now they can be put in perfect place, that is our goal. Some examples would be sexual, pride, anger and all like that. Those are things that are not now in perfect order, due to the fall. Thus, even without the devil tempting us we can fall into sins like those.

I think of all the people who do not have the Holy Ghost. The Devil probably does not do much tempting. They are fallen and those natural man desires arise. Unlike members of The Church who have the Holy Ghost. Which, if used correctly, should override are fallen state and lead us into a sinless life. That is where the Devil comes in, he will tempt us. Without his tempting the Holy Ghost would overpower those temptations easily.

Not true.

I can't speak for Adam and Eve, but I know from personal experience that I am quite capable of sinning without Satan goading me on. If I sin, it's my fault--I can't blame it on anybody else.

Satan may go around tempting and influencing people to do wrong, but there are plenty of other influences in this world, from other people to our own nature.

In a sense you're right--to make a choice we need to have more than one option available. So the more we learn, the more free we become, and the more accountable we become for our actions. Little children don't know a whole lot, and so they are less free and less accountable. That may be the sort of state Adam and Eve were in in the Garden, and Lucifer placed a choice before them. Although, strictly speaking, God put the choice before them first, but Lucifer then pushed Adam and Eve toward one of the choices.

But I don't think it follows from that that every time we make a bad choice we were tempted by Satan or one of his minions to do it. I can, and have, made bad choices on my own. (Lest you think I'm some sort of evil person, I've also made good choices! LOL)

You both have valid points, however, I must re-defer to Bruce R. McConkie:

Sin is of the devil. "Whatsoever is evil cometh from the devil." Alma 5:40. He is the master of sin (mosiah 4:14), the author of all sin (helaman 6:30); he is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually and inviteth and and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually." (moroni 7:12).

During hte Millenium, when Satan is bound, "children shall gorw up without sin unto salvation." (D and C 45:58) By committing sin men place themselves in subjection to Satan (D and C 29:40); they become his servants and receive "wages of him." (alma 5:38-43)

If we can sin by ourselves wihtout Satan's influence, that would lead one to say we could sin in the Millennium while Satan is bound. However, McConkie states above that during the millennium this is not the case. Children will grow up without sin at all.

I'm not trying to say I'm not responsible for my own actions, but what I am saying is that if Satan is the 'author of all evil/sin', then yes, he is the originator of such. If this were not hte case, then children would not be able to be raised up without sin during the millennium.

You both have valid points, however, I must re-defer to Bruce R. McConkie:

If we can sin by ourselves wihtout Satan's influence, that would lead one to say we could sin in the Millennium while Satan is bound. However, McConkie states above that during the millennium this is not the case. Children will grow up without sin at all.

I'm not trying to say I'm not responsible for my own actions, but what I am saying is that if Satan is the 'author of all evil/sin', then yes, he is the originator of such. If this were not hte case, then children would not be able to be raised up without sin during the millennium.

This is interesting, thank you!

Satan is the author of all sin, in the sense he was the reason for the fall. Without him tempting Adam and Eve, there would be no sin. That is why Satan was glad we fell, he made it so we could sin.

This is big because Satan is only the tempter. He does not create sin out of whole cloth. As in, he uses what fell out of subjection during the fall. Which would be, our natural man tendencies. I don't believe God created us with flaws, such as anger. Those things prior to the fall were in complete subjection and thus it is our goal to put them back into subjection. That would mean anger in subjection is good, it would be called calculated anger.

As far as no sinning during the millennium. It seems like the reason for no sin would be that Christ will rule and reign during the millennium. The people will have no desire to sin. An example would be that for awhile after Christ visited the Americas there was no sin. Yet, the Devil was still around to tempt.

Why "must" you defer to Elder McConkie? Don't you have free agency? :P

(Just giving you a hard time! :lol:)

My stake president is Bruce R. McConkie's son. He's worked all free agency out of me. ;)

Just kidding! But he IS a great stake president!

The only difference between teh Millennium and the time after Christ visited the AMericas is that Satan was free to tempt during that time. IN the millennium, he will be bound where he will have no power over the inhabitants of hte Earth.

This is when the Holy Ghost (see the HG thread) will come to earth and receive his body so he can keep his second estate, as well. We will not need his influence as Satan will have no power and we will be able to follow through with our righteous desires with no tempting from the Evil One. There is no need to testify of truth when we will hear it directly from Christ's lips and not be tempted to stray.

:)

Horax, I think you may be taking things too literally. One could theoretically argue that since all good things come from God, that we are incapable of doing good things without God prodding us to. If that is true, and we are also incapable of doing evil without Satan's prodding, then what happens to free agency?

I thought one of the big points of our mortal probation was to find out what we will do on our own, with our memories of the pre-existence "wiped" from our minds, and a veil placed between us and God so that we'd be truly free to act for ourselves without too much interference from either side. The scriptures do say that we will not be tempted beyond what we are able to stand. So Satan does not make us sin--the choice is ours. You are free to believe that without Satan we could not sin, but I disagree. In my view, Satan may have opened Pandora's box, metaphorically speaking, so that we'd have the freedom to sin, but now that the cat's already out of the bag, we can sin (or not) of our own volition.

Sorry about mixing metaphors, but you get my meaning!

Anyway, take care.

HEP

I see what you are saying (literally, as it is right in front of me on the computer screen).

Of course we are free to choose our own path. However, I find it hard to think that a human who was raised in righteousness would consciously choose to not follow the commandments and sin just becuase they wanted to.

Look at Cain and Alma the Younger. They were both raised in righteousness, but it wasn't until Satan tempted them where they fell away and made their mistakes. Sure Alma repented, but he did make his choice to follow Satan after he was tempted to do so.

Another good example is King David. He fell pretty badly, and he was a prophet who was raised in righteousness. This is an exmaple of how a human can err and choose to listen to the Evil One and allow the tempting to occur.

Out of the three examples above, they were all raised within the church (I'll say for ease of use), and all three fell. However, it wasn't until after they were tempted that they chose to follow the path to destruction.

Opposite examples could be Joseph of Egypt. When Potipher's wife tried to seduce him, he did not allow the temptation and removed himself from the situation.

None of the above fell wihtout first being tempted.

I'm not a sign seeker, but I'd be interested to see if anybody can point out an example of a person who fell or sinned grievously without first being tempted by Satan.

The only difference between teh Millennium and the time after Christ visited the AMericas is that Satan was free to tempt during that time. IN the millennium, he will be bound where he will have no power over the inhabitants of hte Earth.

I have to disagree here... Satan will be bound during the millennium for the same reason he was bound during the short time after the visit to the Americas (for those people). Because the people chose to live righteously and teach their kids in righteousness and that took Satan's power away. This was also the case of Enoch's zion. There isn't going to be some mystical wrestling match between the Savior and Satan where Satan loses and gets tied up. The battle is in the heart of each individual person. Satan being bound during the millennium will be a side effect of people living in righteousness, and his being loosed again will be a side effect of that falling away.

I see what you are saying (literally, as it is right in front of me on the computer screen).

Of course we are free to choose our own path. However, I find it hard to think that a human who was raised in righteousness would consciously choose to not follow the commandments and sin just becuase they wanted to.

Look at Cain and Alma the Younger. They were both raised in righteousness, but it wasn't until Satan tempted them where they fell away and made their mistakes. Sure Alma repented, but he did make his choice to follow Satan after he was tempted to do so.

Another good example is King David. He fell pretty badly, and he was a prophet who was raised in righteousness. This is an exmaple of how a human can err and choose to listen to the Evil One and allow the tempting to occur.

Out of the three examples above, they were all raised within the church (I'll say for ease of use), and all three fell. However, it wasn't until after they were tempted that they chose to follow the path to destruction.

Opposite examples could be Joseph of Egypt. When Potipher's wife tried to seduce him, he did not allow the temptation and removed himself from the situation.

None of the above fell wihtout first being tempted.

I'm not a sign seeker, but I'd be interested to see if anybody can point out an example of a person who fell or sinned grievously without first being tempted by Satan.

I think that some sin arises naturally and Satan only enhances the temptation. For instance, with men, what happens when you see a beautiful girl. We can either cultivate what happens naturally or kill it. Another example would be getting mad about a petty thing that happens in our life. We either let the Devil cultivate it or kill it. You see, from my understanding, the Devil is the one who says ooo that women is better then your wife or that petty incident is a huge deal.

I have to disagree here... Satan will be bound during the millennium for the same reason he was bound during the short time after the visit to the Americas (for those people). Because the people chose to live righteously and teach their kids in righteousness and that took Satan's power away. This was also the case of Enoch's zion. There isn't going to be some mystical wrestling match between the Savior and Satan where Satan loses and gets tied up. The battle is in the heart of each individual person. Satan being bound during the millennium will be a side effect of people living in righteousness, and his being loosed again will be a side effect of that falling away.

Satan has never been bound since his 'banishment' to Earth for lack of a better term.

Furhtermore, in Mormon Doctrine, Bruce R. McConkie breaks down teh millennium into different events:

1) council at Adam-Ondi-Ahman precedes millennium

2) second coming ushers in millennium

3) first resurrection ushers in millennium

4) righteousness will not hasten millennium

5) destruction of wicked as millennium commences

6) day of judgment commences millennial era

7) renewal of Earth to paradisiacal state

8) millennial binding of satan

9) millennial attainment of peace on Earth

10) Millennial changes in the animal kingdom

11) mortality continues during millennium

12) death, sorry, disease cease during millennium

13) all things revealed in our time

14) nonmembers of church during millennium

15) millennial conversal of all to the truth

16) millennial kingdom of god on Earth

17) temple work during the millennium

18) end of millennium and of the Earth

I'd like to focus on #8, the millennial binding of Satan.

Bruce R. McConkie states:

When we speak of the binding of Satan in connectdion with teh millennium, we mean that he will be bound during that era, that his powers will be limited AFTER taht day commences, and NOT that men will turn to righteousness so as to tie the hands of Satan, thereby bringing millennial conditions to pass. The plan does not call fo rmen to turn voluntarily to righteousness thereby causing the thousand year era of peace to commence. Rather, the millennium will be brought about by power; th ewicked will be destroyed; and those only will remain on earth who are sufficiently righteous to abide the day of the Lord's coming (mal. 3; 4), a day when the elements shall melt with fervent heat and all things become new.

However, Satan shall be bound (d and c 43:31; 45:55; 84:100; 88:110-111) and for a thousand years he "shall not have power to tempt any man." (d and c 101:28).

It was this concept that that caused Nephi to write, speaking of hte period AFTER THE COMMENCEMENT of the millennium, that: "Becuase of the righteousness of his people, Satan has no power; wherefore, he cannot be loosed for the space of many years; for he hath no power over the hearts of the poeple, for they dwell in righteousness, and the Holy One of Israel reigneth." (1 Ne. 22:26)"

============

I think the key here is that he will have NO power to tempt, and in the past he did.

But Nephi makes an interesting point in that two conditions need to occur:

1) people need to be righteous

2) Holy One of Israel needs to reign personally

So condition #2 was not met after Christ was visiting the Americas, so he could tempt, but they didn't listen. That's the difference here. In the millennium, both conditions will be satisfied and he will literally lose his power for 1000 years.