Nylons/pantyhose/stockings: necessary for modesty?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can imagine, what with all the clouds! :lol:

Oh, Oregon is green, lovely, scenic and all that but I find the constant dampness to be oppressive. I thought to move to Utah, but when I was down there in March, I found the weather not to be for the faint of heart. Going from Provo to Huntsville, to SCL, I saw it rain, then sunshine and 75 degrees and then snow the next day!

I was never sure what to wear. LOL

I dont try to tan anything. Its bad for your health. Is it health > fashion or fashion >health?

Interestingly, in the Philippines, skin-whitening soap/cream/etc. is big business...

Oh, Oregon is green, lovely, scenic and all that but I find the constant dampness to be oppressive. I thought to move to Utah, but when I was down there in March, I found the weather not to be for the faint of heart. Going from Provo to Huntsville, to SCL, I saw it rain, then sunshine and 75 degrees and then snow the next day!

I was never sure what to wear. LOL

that's spring in Utah. Still happening. :(

I dont try to tan anything. Its bad for your health. Is it health > fashion or fashion >health?

There's a balance to be had here. The best source of vitamin D is natural sunlight. Vitamin D is essential to processing calcium. Low vitamin D leads to low calcium leads to osteopenia/osteoporosis.

You need to get some sun, and tanning is a good way to do it. But it can also be overdone.

I couldn't really find a nylon that matched my skin tone they were either lighter or darker, but I prefer wearing it when I have a skirt that's equal to knee length. I know that there are stocking's that are designed almost like leg-ins and laced, that's the new trend for younger generations. As long as the skirt is not too short, I have seen girls wear short skirts with no nylon or stockings. It's exposing too much legs with the stilleto heels, skin tight skirt attire is trending. In my youth the church would teach what's appropriate to wear, the fact that they did that was like training the kids and youth to make a better choice on how to dress in the Lords house. However, it will have little affect if the parents are teaching otherwise. My mother always got long skirts and dresses that were at knee length, I wasn't much of a style fad female but I did make what I had look trendy.

I don't wear my.ons simply because I detest the way they feel, mostly in humid wether. That, and I am also a bigger gal, so I hate when they roll down. Not sure what I'll do when I finally go throu the temple and have to wear white hosiery!

I do, however, don't mind to wet the little footlets that one can wear inside of ballet flats. Those are somewhat comfortable.

I don't wear my.ons simply because I detest the way they feel, mostly in humid wether. That, and I am also a bigger gal, so I hate when they roll down. Not sure what I'll do when I finally go throu the temple and have to wear white hosiery!

I do, however, don't mind to wet the little footlets that one can wear inside of ballet flats. Those are somewhat comfortable.

You will wear knee high or ankle high all-white hosiery. There is absolutely no rule that a woman MUST wear pantyhose! No rule that she must wear a slip either, as long as her dress is NOT see through.

The footwear is up to you also. The only restriction is: they must be white, including the soles. I have slip on Deerfoams and I really do not like them. So, I am going to get me a pair of Croc's all white slip ons. At 60 yo, with diabetic feet, overweight and problem ingrown toenails I don't give a flip about fashion- comfort is what I am all about. As long as my comfort conforms to what the Temple wants. White- all white. Oh, and the hosiery will be anklets and NOT knee highs or trouser socks. Have had more than enough of nylon fabrics and their body oil sucking properties.

A friend of mine, also member of my Branch is a seamstress- she will make me a slip from an old white all muslin sheet I have. Actually, she will make two! This is a win-win for me. Cotton and made to fit my not off the rack body.

Personally I don't think wearing of any stockings has to do with modesty. If it did we would have an entire Ward full of immodest LDS women. ^_^

I think it has more to do with style preference and the climate you live in and what is acceptable where you live.

I don't give much attention to what everone is wearing but in our Ward I would estimate perhaps 80 to 90 percent of women in our Ward were not wearing any kind of stockings and most were wearing sandals and even flip flops and a variety of skirt lengths and styles that are modest enough to cover garments from knee length pnecil or a-line styles to prairie or broom stick skirts with tee shirts with jackets or shawls for when the air conditioning is too cool.

This is typical attire here for all ages. I'm over 60 and remember when in high school it was a rite of passage to get to wear nylons with garter belts (before panty hose). Then along came panty hose but they were problematic at first to get them on right to the "seams" would line up right. Then of course came seamless pantyhose. Been there and done that and have not owned nylons or pantyhose in close to two decades.

Then again we are in Florida where it's a hot and humid 90 something degrees so dress may vary with the climate.

Those of us that spend to much office time and not enough sunshine can spray tan which looks more natural than panty hose.

When I visit up North or Wards in cooler climates I take the opportunity to wear long skirts with boots that I can't wear much at home.

As far as modesty, if the clothing covers garments it's modest. :)

I eat my lunch outside, weather permitting. My medical/health knowledgable co-worker insists that's the best thing to get vitamin D.

Never mind the skin cancer! :lol:

Just kidding. My mom's always worried about me getting skin cancer, but I can't help going outside because I like it. Besides, it's not as if I'm outside all day long!

Actually, I did get basal cell carcinoma once, but that was on my chest "where the sun don't shine" (because I'm normally wearing a shirt). Got it hacked off, and it's fine now, just so you don't have to worry about it. ;)

Just kidding. My mom's always worried about me getting skin cancer, but I can't help going outside because I like it. Besides, it's not as if I'm outside all day long!

Actually, I did get basal cell carcinoma once, but that was on my chest "where the sun don't shine" (because I'm normally wearing a shirt). Got it hacked off, and it's fine now, just so you don't have to worry about it. ;)

Lol.. Okay that was almost just too much information.

I wear knee-his since the women in my ward tend to wear long skirts so I can wear the knee-his and the tops dont' show. I notice that most of the younger women don't wear hose. Some even wear flip-flops!

I don't feel 'dressed' without the hose, but again, it may be an age thing. I don't think it's immodest not to wear hose, but it does seem to look unfinished.

Living in Texas no one wears nylons/pantyhose anywhere. Even the thought of it is absurd. The temps are in the 100's for 3 months straight usually and leading up to it all spring and then declining from it in the fall. Bare legs and sandles are the norm here except maybe for 2-3 months in the winter.

Edited by mnn727

I don't feel 'dressed' without the hose, but again, it may be an age thing. I don't think it's immodest not to wear hose, but it does seem to look unfinished.

That's where I'm at.

Heh, I really don't worry about skin cancer! I figure if you take precautions... my belief the sunshine and fresh air is healthier than constant indoor living.