Need an Android/PC App, Can You Help?

slamjet

I thought I'd throw this out there since I'm not able to find what I need. I have a situation in one of my Stake's buildings where someone is sucking bandwidth out of the network. It's so bad, the clerks can't transmit. I know it's someone because it only happens on Sunday. So I need an app for my android or laptop that will scan for wifi signals and show me their up/download stats. A bonus is to track them down and pull them out of whatever corner they're in.

I knew this was going to be an issue and now here it is. Any suggestions?

I would think that the easiest thing would be to create or change the password, and only give it out with the strict understanding that it is to be used for Church use only and to be careful about using up bandwidth. Is someone watching Netflix during RS? Playing World of Warcraft during EQ?

password it? and why isnt it?

It is passworded. But the open WiFi that the Church wants in every single flip'n building for general membership usage with the open-secret of a password is on the same, one DSL line for the whole building. If I had my druthers, I'd shut the thing down, but alas, I'm not the one in charge. Only the one who cleans up the mess :mad:

oh hmm mine has it in settings. not even an ap you have to download. did you check there under wireless?

Every app I've seen is to find hot-spots. I need one to find devices. I have network scanners that I'm going to try out, but I was hoping there is something for Android so I don't have to drag my laptop around.

It's on all the time because that's what Salt Lake wants. I'm so not in agreement with this, and in even less agreement of having it in this building because it houses the YSA & SA wards. I'm trying to get access to the router so I can block the person, but I need to find who it is first.

how about network mapper by ian hawkins? paid 1.56. still looking but this apparently will disconnect devices if they are slowing the network. i am guessing this is more what you want then the wifi tracker in next post. let me know what ap you settle on. very curious how well they work.

Edited by annewandering

It's on all the time because that's what Salt Lake wants. I'm so not in agreement with this, and in even less agreement of having it in this building because it houses the YSA & SA wards. I'm trying to get access to the router so I can block the person, but I need to find who it is first.

Once you get access to the router, you should be able to see who it is and block them. Once they come to you saying they have a problem with the internet, you will know who it is!

Where are you located? I am in SLC and the password for us is only given to people who need it. I can tell you that if we gave it out to everyone in my ward, we would have a bandwidth problem immediately. With 2 wards in the building at any given time and all of the android phones, tablest and iphones running off of it? Wow. I am not sure you are even looking for just one person. Best of luck. Have you passed the concern up the chain to IT?

Once you get access to the router, you should be able to see who it is and block them. Once they come to you saying they have a problem with the internet, you will know who it is!

Where are you located? I am in SLC and the password for us is only given to people who need it. I can tell you that if we gave it out to everyone in my ward, we would have a bandwidth problem immediately. With 2 wards in the building at any given time and all of the android phones, tablest and iphones running off of it? Wow. I am not sure you are even looking for just one person. Best of luck. Have you passed the concern up the chain to IT?

Hmmm. I live in the Salt Lake Valley too. We have 3 wards in our building, and as far as I know, it's not a problem. The password is not a secret, and most people tend to use it only as much as needed. Personally, I am grateful for it because it lets me use LDS apps while at church without having to use my phone's data plan.

Perhaps Slamjet's building ward leaders need to make an announcement that bandwidth is limited and ask people to limit their useage to only what is necessary during classes or for callings.

Being a Bandwidth Nazi can make you a very unpopular person if you don't have the backing and okay of your leaders, so I would be careful about just shutting someone off without proper widespread warnings through official channels first.

I am with John Doe.

We just had a Stake Primary training where they provided us with the password, and told us to take advantage of the Churches programs available on the internet.

However, at our ward we have an old building and the internet isn't very good in the building, and in some rooms you can't even receive a signal, which really stinks.

I have been downloading videos to my iPad, however this takes up a lot of space on my iPad. The Stake Center internet access was blazing fast compared to our wards (ok, blazing maybe an exaggeration).

I would be less concerned with people using the internet unless they are using it inappropriately.

I thought I'd throw this out there since I'm not able to find what I need. I have a situation in one of my Stake's buildings where someone is sucking bandwidth out of the network. It's so bad, the clerks can't transmit. I know it's someone because it only happens on Sunday. So I need an app for my android or laptop that will scan for wifi signals and show me their up/download stats. A bonus is to track them down and pull them out of whatever corner they're in.

I knew this was going to be an issue and now here it is. Any suggestions?

I am guessing that the user is not even LDS and not in the building. Under certain conditions, WiFi will go quite a ways, and there are antennas that will suck it even further.

There are all sorts of :tsktsk: in what you describe.

Open (or even open-ish) wifi HAS to be locked down. Period. By destination, rate, etc.. And it has to be monitored. Swamping the connection is the least of your worries, there are much more devious (and illegal) things that it CAN and WILL be used for.

In our building, you have to have the password, and it will still only let you go to the Church's web sites, nowhere else.

I would find the person in charge of the system, and have a talk with them about proper security on a wireless system. That "someone" may even be an outside contractor hired by the FM (facilities maintenance) group, and so the stake building coordinator (or even the high counselor in charge of the buildings) may be a good place to go in order to find whomever is responsible for the network. And it may not be a bad discussion, they may tell you that they have the means of handling such situations, they were just not proactive in monitoring the situation. :animatedthumbsup:

Edited by ClickyClack

You can actually view all the devices attached to the wireless server, depending on the router that is being used. You can access via typing the IP address in the web browser, look on the router itself it should give you an IP address that's similar to "192.168.0.1". This can give you acces to modify the router password and even locate devices that are connected wirelessly.

Well, I found a couple of apps that will almost do what I need but we (the Stake Tech and I) need to show that there is an issue and report and suggest. Then let the powers that be decide what path they want to take. It's not as easy to just lock things down and letting the chips fall where they may. If we do otherwise, we'll have the ire of the FM group as well as the leadership all the way up to the Stake President displeased with us. There's a process to this whole thing. So I'm hoping that if I can find the offending machine, I can get it taken care of without creating a mountain.

And for those who are not in the know, Salt Lake provides and demands that they're be a hardware firewall in line with the AP. This is one they provide. It locks out many sights but it is not that difficult to circumvent. Also, routers are finicky in giving up who is connected. So an app is more accurate and real-time.

You'd probably be better off putting QOS rules on the access point and/or the router. Personally I'd split the wired and wireless traffic into two different VLANs, this will stop any broadcast storms affecting the clerks, and then have QOS rules on the wireless VLAN. Use these rules to give wired traffic priority over wireless traffic at all times (I'm assuming your clerks are connected via an ethernet cable as opposed to wireless). Also use the QOS rules to throttle wireless traffic in general, so they can't abuse the internet connection itself, and saturate it with packets. This will solve the issue without having to ever find out who it is.

I tend to treat issues like this as though the network is 50 times bigger than it actually is. Reactively finding an individual user that's causing issues on a public network could be a nightmare on a network with tens of thousands of users, so instead you'd proactively enforce rules on all the users to prevent it happening, as opposed to stopping it once it's started on an individual basis.

Edited by Mahone