Alma 1:1

pam

Alma 1:1*

1 Now it came to pass that in the first year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi, from this time forward, king Mosiah having gone the way of all the earth, having warred a good warfare, walking uprightly before God, leaving none to reign in his stead; nevertheless he had established laws, and they were acknowledged by the people; therefore they were obliged to abide by the laws which he had made.

“King Mosiah had fought against wickedness and battled Beelzebub all his days. He had been true and faithful to his trust to lead his people in paths of truth and righteousness. He had passed the tests of mortality. His salvation was secure. He was like his colleague on another continent, Paul the Apostle, who said just prior to his death: ‘I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing’ (2 Timothy 4:7-8).” (McConkie and Millet, Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, vol. 3, p. 3)

• 5 years later...

How many instances are there in recorded history of a king willingly giving up his throne to allow for a more direct representational form of government and allowing for the people to be ruled by their own voice?

Mosiah II was such a king. His decision led his four sons to perform a great work of salvation among the Lamanites. Otherwise, they may have been happy as princes to enjoy royal lives.

The Book of Mormon is my favorite book and the only book I read every day. 

Edited by Ouch
grammertarian attack avoidance