tithing on financial help from parents

bonanzafan

being poor and in school, my parents have helped me quite a bit financially over the past six months. this is an amazing thing for them to do. my thoughts have not resolved how to handle tithing on this. they have paid bills and fixed my car and given me petty cash for my expenses as well. can you point me to articles and talks that discuss this?

You won't find any articles or talks that discuss this. There has never been anything put out that gives a specific list of what one would pay tithing on or not.

Yes, it's 10% of your increase. You decide whether what you got from your parents is your increase or not.

The bishop will only ask you one question. Are you a full tithe payer? If you can honestly answer yes after pondering and praying about it, then you're a full tithe payer. The bishop will not ask you for an accounting.

As for me, and this is only applicable to me, I pay tithing on cash gifts but not on non-cash gifts. My children do the same. They pay tithing on their birthday money.

Edited by anatess

As others said, it's between you and the Lord. For me, I didn't pay tithing on financial assistance from my parents because the tithing had already been paid on it, and it was coming to me in the form of going straight to tuition or rent rather than a weekly allowance sort of thing.

I think that paying tithing would be mostly on the money that you earned yourself..

(full time job/ part time job ect)

I suppose that your parents already paid the 10 percent tithing and after gave you some extra cash for your expenses.. If that would be the case than I would say that you probably wouldn't need to pay tithing..

Same goes for B-day Money Gifts.. the other person probably already paid 10 percent for tithing... set aside the remainder of his or her money for other expenses including giving some as a present so i would say that money is taken care of already

I think that paying tithing would be mostly on the money that you earned yourself..

(full time job/ part time job ect)

I suppose that your parents already paid the 10 percent tithing and after gave you some extra cash for your expenses.. If that would be the case than I would say that you probably wouldn't need to pay tithing..

Same goes for B-day Money Gifts.. the other person probably already paid 10 percent for tithing... set aside the remainder of his or her money for other expenses including giving some as a present so i would say that money is taken care of already

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Whether we pay tithing or not is based on the giver's tithing status? So, if I get cash for a birthday gift, then I need to ask the person who gave me that money if they paid tithing on it. And if not, then I pay tithing on it?

I know everyone must decide for themselves on how to pay tithing, but I must admit, this system doesn't sound good or right.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Whether we pay tithing or not is based on the giver's tithing status?

I know everyone must decide for themselves on how to pay tithing, but I must admit, this system doesn't sound good or right.

-I'm just saying .. since tithing is only 10% wouldn't it be like you're paying 20% if you pay part of the money that was already paid 10% for?

-I work @ a restaurant and I pay tithing on my pay check as well as all the tips.. since I'm guessing non of the customers are tithing payers

- Also My Mom is LDS but my father is a Muslim so If I get any money from Dad I pay tithing on it... but if get money from my Mom I don't pay tithing on it.. since she already pays her 10% and set some money aside for me afterwards...

-I'm just saying .. since tithing is only 10% wouldn't it be like you're paying 20% if you pay part of the money that was already paid 10% for?

No, I only pay 10%. If your mom has $100, then she would pay $10 in tithing. She decides to give you $50. That means you have $50 (and pay $5 in tithing) and your mom has $40 ($100 - $10 - $50). You still only pay 10%. You aren't paying more than 10%.

And are you saying that if the owner of your work is LDS, then you wouldn't pay tithing on your paycheck since the owner pays tithing?

I think you are putting the emphasis on the money trail rather than on your covenant. Your covenant is to pay 10% of your income. Again, it is your decision on how you decide to define "income", but your income (and tithing paying ability) is separate from anyone else, regardless if they pay tithing or not.

-I work @ a restaurant and I pay tithing on my pay check as well as all the tips.. since I'm guessing non of the customers are tithing payers

- Also My Mom is LDS but my father is a Muslim so If I get any money from Dad I pay tithing on it... but if get money from my Mom I don't pay tithing on it.. since she already pays her 10% and set some money aside for me afterwards...

You should never take into consideration whether money may or may not have already had tithing paid on it by the person giving you the money.

Beefche is correct when she said it's 10% of YOUR increase. Some can get so caught up in these things they forget about the spirit of the law of tithing and the blessings that can be received.

What if your mom didn't pay tithing on the money because the money she gave you was paid or given to her by someone she thought had already paid tithing? Honestly do we keep records of the many hands money does go through to determine this?

Edited by pam

What if your mom didn't pay tithing on the money because the money she gave you was paid or given to her by someone she thought had already paid tithing? Honestly do we keep records of the many hands money does go through to determine this?

That doesn't really even come into consideration. For example, Mom gives son $50 and tells son she already paid the tithing on it so he doesn't have to. That is the wrong principle. Tithing should be paid by the son according to his covenant. The mother can't fulfill that covenant for him.

Therefore, it doesn't matter if that money has been paid tithing 100 times over. When the son receives that money for his increase, he gets to pay tithes on it according to his covenant by his own faith. Really simple. No need to hire accountants.

You know, I think I do not agree with this. If my parents give me a gift worth $100, that is exactly as much increase for me as if they had given me $100 cash. Yet I don't tithe the value of gifts.

If people think they should pay tithing on gifts of cash, then they should. But I don't think it's right to say that everyone should tithe cash gifts, and especially when that gift comes from a parent who tithes. I think that's perfectly well left to the discretion of the receiver.

I would certainly rather overpay tithing than underpay it, but logically, I don't see that it makes any sense to tithe cash gifts but not non-cash gifts. And depending on how one thinks of and defines "family", I don't know that it makes sense to "double-tithe" "family" gifts, anyway.

You know, I think I do not agree with this. If my parents give me a gift worth $100, that is exactly as much increase for me as if they had given me $100 cash. Yet I don't tithe the value of gifts.

If people think they should pay tithing on gifts of cash, then they should. But I don't think it's right to say that everyone should tithe cash gifts, and especially when that gift comes from a parent who tithes. I think that's perfectly well left to the discretion of the receiver.

I would certainly rather overpay tithing than underpay it, but logically, I don't see that it makes any sense to tithe cash gifts but not non-cash gifts. And depending on how one thinks of and defines "family", I don't know that it makes sense to "double-tithe" "family" gifts, anyway.

Vort... that wasn't the argument. The argument was the REASON that you don't pay tithe on it because Mom already paid tithe on it. That's where it becomes bad. A reason of, it's not an increase because it's not something I earned, would fly. The reason of, it's not an increase because it has already been tithed by my mother, doesn't fly.

On the cash versus stuff gifts. I chose that route because cash gifts to me is an increase. I add it to my income and adds to the budget. Stuff to me is not an increase because I don't count it as income... it's stuff that I may or may not use which is totally different than if it was cash. Now, of course, this is just MY way of looking at it. Everybody has their own way of looking at it.

Edited by anatess

My understanding of the principle behind Yana's post wasn't the fact of cash gift vs. tangibility gift, but was the money used for either tithed before you received it or not.

Thus my question to her that if her job was owned by someone that she knew paid tithing, would she consider that the MONEY was already tithed and thus she didn't have to pay any? From her reasoning, she would not pay tithing at all. And I feel that is wrong. It isn't the money trail that is important in tithing, but the covenant and sacrifice behind it. The covenant rests on the covenant maker, not the money itself.

That doesn't really even come into consideration. For example, Mom gives son $50 and tells son she already paid the tithing on it so he doesn't have to. That is the wrong principle. Tithing should be paid by the son according to his covenant. The mother can't fulfill that covenant for him.

Therefore, it doesn't matter if that money has been paid tithing 100 times over. When the son receives that money for his increase, he gets to pay tithes on it according to his covenant by his own faith. Really simple. No need to hire accountants.

Anatess you are making my argument over this. That's exactly what I was saying but in different words. I was only using the logic of the person I was responding to.

Edited by pam

IMO, if I reasonably control the spending of it, I'll tithe on it. Thus, if mom hands me the exact amount of my rent, (or the amount I'm short that month) specifying that it's for my rent, I don't. (I suppose I could spend that money some other way, but that's like saying I'm not technically forced to breathe. Besides, if mom's paying any part of my rent, it's because I'm otherwise flat broke. Asking her to tack on another 10% seems to defeat the spirit of tithing.) If mom hands me the rent amount rounded up, then I'll tithe on it, assuming it is a gift and not a loan. (If a loan, then tithing from the income I'll be using to pay it back covers my "increase.")

I usually don't pay tithing on gifts of money since I don't pay tithing on material gifts.

When my brother mowed my grandparents' yard, my grandmother would give him $50 and then give him another $5 for the tithing, lol. I'm thinking, she's missing the point of tithing. It's supposed to be a sacrifice for you to pay it.

Nope! Even If my Job was owned by a LDS church member... I would still pay tithing on the money that I would earn... since it would still be an income that I am my self earning... I do the job = Money earned= own income= need to pay 10%...

If your parents ... Like the poster's parents are financially supporting him because of financial difficulties.. means that he doesn't need to pay... I mean if some one was on church welfare or any kind of Government assistance I heard they would be exempt from tithing as well... so this would be the same I am guessing...

When My mom gives me money it's kinda like helping me out as well.. so I don't pay anything on it.. unless you do chores and earn money from parents...

.... On my dad's money I tithe because well. he doesn't pay tithing and I usually earn money from him as opposed to my mom where she just gives it to me ...

I usually don't pay tithing on gifts of money since I don't pay tithing on material gifts.

When my brother mowed my grandparents' yard, my grandmother would give him $50 and then give him another $5 for the tithing, lol. I'm thinking, she's missing the point of tithing. It's supposed to be a sacrifice for you to pay it.

Yep pretty much!~ He did do the work for the money so I guess the 5 bucks out of the 50 would go towards the tithe.. and since she gave him another 5 bucks... I guess it means he should take 0,50 cents and add that to his tithing too :D