How do I get a key made without the original?

Echo2002

My dad paid to get my brother's car out of tow that had been sitting for a month. No one knows where my brother is, so my dad does not have a key to his car. Is there a way to get a key made without the original? My dad also does not have the title to the car, so I'm guessing the Volvo dealer is not going to replace the key if he does not technically own it. It's an older model, probably early 80s.

Dealers can get into big trouble for cutting and giving keys to people who don't own or can't show proper ownership of a car. Be prepared to show that you have a reasonable right to possess keys to it.

I had a key cut to the VIN a few years ago at the dealership while my car was in for some other work- I suppose that since I was already paying for some new struts they just assumed I owned it. The only thing they asked for was my credit card.

I had a key cut to the VIN a few years ago at the dealership while my car was in for some other work- I suppose that since I was already paying for some new struts they just assumed I owned it. The only thing they asked for was my credit card.

Yes, since you already had a key and were having work performed there they assumed that you reasonably had a right to ask for an extra key. They had paper documentation tying your name to the car. But when people come in without a key and ask for a key cut without showing documents tying their name to the car, things can get pretty dicey for a dealership. I believe the fine for a first offense starts at $10K and goes up from there depending on how the ensuing investigation goes if law enforcement gets involved.

There's these 2 little wires under the dash. . .

Funny. Thanks to Hollywood, some people think that all they have to do is pull two generic wires from under the dash, cut and twist them together and magically drive away. In the real world things aren't that simple or clean, especially with the advent of chipped keys and remotes. There are methods to spoof those systems, but it's not so easy as some would like to make you think.

Funny. Thanks to Hollywood, some people think that all they have to do is pull two generic wires from under the dash, cut and twist them together and magically drive away. In the real world things aren't that simple or clean, especially with the advent of chipped keys and remotes. There are methods to spoof those systems, but it's not so easy as some would like to make you think.

Sheesh JD. Let her be funny. :P

Hidden

I figure one can only deal with some many trolls before one's humanity is consumed. Staring into the abyss and all that jazz.

Aw, now Pam removed her comment and ruined all the fun.

Pam laughs at Eowyn's pain? Cold, Pam.

But...but...but... She requested I bring her back a salmon from Alaska next month and I said I would.

Does that sound like a cold person?:lol:

But...but...but... She requested I bring her back a salmon from Alaska next month and I said I would.

Does that sound like a cold person?:lol:

She promised to leave it in "the" wheat field. In Idaho.