The Great Secret: Or Occultism Unveiled

Tsuzuki

The Great Secret: or Occultism Unveiled, by Eliphas Levi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0877289387/

This is primarily a book on Christian occultism, but its scope is such that it is also destined to be recognized as one of the great books of human civilization... if it's read, that is. It is unfortunate that many of the world's greatest books get lost in obscurity. This book was written over a hundred years ago, but was only relatively recently translated to English from the original French.

This book is in fact parts two and three from the trilogy, part one having been published as "The Book of Splendours". The whole trilogy stands as Eliphas Levi's last testament to his closest disciples, though in my opinion, parts two and three stand on their own as the greater part of the work.

Latter-day saints should find many things in this book that resonate with their own faith.

The book is in the public domain, and I am in the process of converting it to electronic form here. You can find the original French here.

Excerpt:

I have grown old and grey poring over the least known and most formidable books on occultism; my hair has fallen out; my beard has grown as long as those of the desert fathers; I have sought and found the key to the symbols of Zoroaster; I have entered the crypts of the Manes; I have come upon the secret of Hermes unawares while neglecting to keep clear of a corner of the veil which eternally conceals the great work; I know the nature of that colossal sphinx which sinks slowly into the sand as it contemplates the pyramids; I have penetrated the enigmas of the Brahmins; I know what mysteries Simeon Ben Jochai buried with him during twelve years in the desert; the lost clavicules of Solomon have appeared to me resplendent with light and I have read fluently in the books which Mephistopheles himself was unable to translate for Faust.

Nevertheless, nowhere, neither in Persia, nor in India, nor among the palimpsests of ancient Egypt, nor in the forbidden grimoires salvaged from the bonfires of the Middle Ages, have I found a book so profound, more revealing, more luminous in its mysteries, more frightening in its splendid revelations, more sure in its prophecies, more searching into the depths of man and the immense shadow of God, more grand, more true, more simple, more terrible and more sweet than the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

What book has been more read, more admired, more slandered, more travestied, more glorified, more wrested and more ignored than that one! It is like honey in the mouth of the wise and like strong poison in the belly of the world. The Revolution was organized to fight it. Proudhon writhed as he tried to spew it out. It is as invincible as truth and as elusive as error.

wow. from what I read and skimmed it is pretty interesting. While it does lean towards the Catholic view I especially liked some of its ideas.

The mirror is one which I had found for myself when dealing with the questions of why LDS and trying to understand God..

Going all the way back to the garden of Eden or I guess even to the council of Heaven. There is truth and good and then there is the perversion of that good or truth. With lots of variations inbetween. That was the pattern from the start in the Council or Garden. All the religions and faith etc have some variance on the truth. When I have looked at the Catholic church, which was closer than most to the time of Christ, there are many interesting similar beliefs to the LDS church. Some very different from other faiths. Purgatory, coming from a protestant faith, always stood out to me as where did that come from? When I started looking at faiths it made more sense. Its interesting to see the LDS church and start seeing all these "ideas" that have floated out there all gathered into one place and clarified or restored. Things that are unique to different faiths. Even baptisms for the dead which are not promoted by most other faiths today.

I also liked the magnet analogy.

Looks like some good reading. Thanks:) :idea:

True Christianity has no occultism.

Act 19:19 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all [men]: and they counted the price of them, and found [it] fifty thousand [pieces] of silver.

Hi Tsuzuki, That is some fascinating reading. How soon before it's finished? And can I get a copy of it when it's done?

I'm about 2/3 of the way done, and I posted the link to what I have so far, but though it's technically out of print, you can still buy the book in stores until they run out. The Amazom.com marketplace has three copies for about $10 each.

There's a book with the same title and author from Kessinger Publishing, but it's actually a different book. Look for the one from Weiser Books.

Posted Image

Also, was Eliphas Levi the leader of some sort of religious movement?

No, but some of his students started their own movements. His own heart belonged to the Catholic Church, and he reconciled with it before his death.