Is there an LDS gun advice site?

Hala401

guns and lds are not related!! that said there is ALWAYS plenty of lds people to give advice on guns. What do you need to know?

I don't want to get in trouble for bringing a gun discussion to this site. I was just hoping that I could find a place to ask a question about a prospective pistol I may purchase where I would not be exposed to hard core gun folk. :)

When in the Military, I carried a nasty old military model .45 1911 A-1. Later, while I was working quite a lot at night, alone in my electrical van, I got a ruger P-90. 45 acp and it was a sweet heart of a gun. I sold when I was no longer working.

When my brother found out that I was de-clawed, :) he threw a fit and put a .38 revolver in my purse. Well, I am not sure I like a revolver, so I was hoping to find someone to talk to about it.

NO, I never shot anyone.

I mean the church isnt exactly into guns. Lol. But a lot of members are.

Hala there are a number of gun threads on here already so its not a banned topic.

OK, since I have not actually shot anyone, though I think if pressed I might, I am just thinking about the suitability of a revolver as a weapon of defense. My old .45 ACP was as easy to fire on the 5th shot as on the first one. Though, if one has targeted properly, more than one should not be nessessary; center of mass and all that, you know.

As I said before, I recently took my .38 special with a 3" barrel to a range and I felt that the first shot was suitable, being inside the 10 ring on a BT 5R 2 target at about 21 feet. None of the shots fired from a cocked weapon were outside that ring at either 21 feet or the far one. (75 feet ???).

Oregon law states that an un armed assailant more than 21 feet away can not be a legal threat, nor can one shoot one in the back at any range.

The problem lies in the fact that without cocking the weapon the following shots are just awful! I don't think I would have the presence of mind to **** the weapon after each shot.

So, I am wondering if I should exchange it for a .45 auto again?

I don't actually know what a pistol weights, but it seems a lot. So, then I was thinking of a .22 cal purse pistol, but I fear that being shot by a .22 might just incite more antisocial behavior from the one wounded, whereas, I am relatively sure that one well placed shot from a .45 would un-stand most anyone.

I think that is pretty much what I said. What exactly do you think I am saying?

Considering past events, I am quite certain that when the building is occupied on Sunday, that someone is quite able to take care of any unrulies. We have a couple men in our Ward that I will never say anything but Sir to.

I can't imagine anyone in charge of this site would object to questions and answers about firearms. That said, I'm certainly not your man.

Heck, I started a thread a year or so ago myself asking for recommendations for a gun.

I am a gun enthusiast but by no means consider myself an expert. My wife and I have concealed firearms permits. Right now my wife carries a .22 magnum but I hope to upgrade her to a .38 revolver soon. The benefit of a revolver is they are pretty much point and shoot. They have fewer jams and other problems that are common with semi-automatic weapons. The disadvantage is they don't carry as many rounds as an automatic.

That said my personal choice is a Glock 27 which holds 9 rounds of .40 caliber ammunition and ways just under 20 oz.

It comes down to reliability vs. ammunition. However, if you need more than 6 rounds of ammunition you are in some pretty serious trouble and is another 3 going to make the difference? And what good is the gun if it stovepipes the first round (spent cartridge stuck during ejection creating what looks like a stovepipe coming out of the gun).

Tough call and often debated.

However, if you are going to carry a revolver I would consider a .357. If you can handle a .45 you should have no problem with the .357 and they offer more firepower than the .38.

No one who own any gun that they have not fired and feel very comfortable in doing so. should own it, otherwise in most cases you may end up being shot by your intruder, any weapon is only as good as your skill and willingness to use it.

I was twice before faced by an assailant, and both times I was well placed, in a defensive position, and when they heard my weapon chamber and saw the barrel, they changed their minds immediately.

The last time, the assailant called the police and I wound up being confronted by a swat team and subsequently cuffed and placed into a police car. That is until, they saw the complainant. I was released immediately and said complainant was cuffed and put in the car.

At no time did I have any doubt what my actions would be.

I had a concealed weapons permit at that time, and now it looks as if I will have to renew it since one of my roomates is habitually leaving the back door open at night. I am going to put a good lock on my personal door, so I will be covered if anyone should come through it. It is worrisome to me because there is another female in our house, and I worry about her safety.

One more thing, Most modern revolvers are double action which means as you pull the trigger it pulls the hammer back and releases at the end of the trigger pull. You don't have to pull the hammer back for each round. Just squeeze the trigger like you would your trusty old .45.

If you are that comfortable with your .45 I would go with that. The last hing you want to do is make a mistake when it really matters.

Just the opposite.

:(

Actually the church and guns are related and have been since the church was organized and even more so when the Saints came to Utah.

Oh my gosh I hope you are viewing this wrong. lol. I actually think we are just looking at it from different directions. :)

Any way I kinda like the little 9mm we had. It was small and easy to use and kinda fun to target shoot with. ANY gun you use is going to make another person think twice about what they are doing. If that is what you feel is good to do and you are comfortable with it, I really dont think it mattes much what gun you use. Right now we have an old shotgun that makes me feel just fine.

Edited by annewandering

Oh my gosh I hope you are viewing this wrong. lol. I actually think we are just looking at it from different directions. :)

Any way I kinda like the little 9mm we had. It was small and easy to use and kinda fun to target shoot with. ANY gun you use is going to make another person think twice about what they are doing. If that is what you feel is good to do and you are comfortable with it, I really dont think it mattes much what gun you use. Right now we have an old shotgun that makes me feel just fine.

I think it was a 9mm that my brother recommended (john doe can correct me on this) that I should get.

I am a gun enthusiast but by no means consider myself an expert. My wife and I have concealed firearms permits. Right now my wife carries a .22 magnum but I hope to upgrade her to a .38 revolver soon. The benefit of a revolver is they are pretty much point and shoot. They have fewer jams and other problems that are common with semi-automatic weapons. The disadvantage is they don't carry as many rounds as an automatic.

That said my personal choice is a Glock 27 which holds 9 rounds of .40 caliber ammunition and ways just under 20 oz.

It comes down to reliability vs. ammunition. However, if you need more than 6 rounds of ammunition you are in some pretty serious trouble and is another 3 going to make the difference? And what good is the gun if it stovepipes the first round (spent cartridge stuck during ejection creating what looks like a stovepipe coming out of the gun).

Tough call and often debated.

However, if you are going to carry a revolver I would consider a .357. If you can handle a .45 you should have no problem with the .357 and they offer more firepower than the .38.

I was never in combat like the men. I worry about two things with the .45 auto and one is the lessening of spring tension in the clip on a weapon that is kept loaded. I never kept it chambered unless I felt its use could be imminent. And, in one experience, it was the sound of the chambering of the weapon that most alarmed the attacker.

I was twice before faced by an assailant, and both times I was well placed, in a defensive position, and when they heard my weapon chamber and saw the barrel, they changed their minds immediately.

The truth is, this is how the vast majority of defensive uses of firearms go. In fact there are far more such uses that the intended victim never needs to even draw the weapon, only demonstrate its presence.

As far as what you should do to pick a gun. The best thing is to go to a gun shop and range that lets you rent guns to try. Take someone you trust who knows weapons. Be aware that women have traditionally not gone to ranges all that often, so there is often some boorish and condescending behavior on the part of some of the men there. The good news is that more women are starting to carry concealed, so this is starting to change.

Once you're at the range, try out a lot of pistols. Think about what you want in the pistol, and how you want to carry it. Find out what fits your hand. Some well meaning people suggest a revolver for women because it's "simpler". There are fewer moving parts, and it's easier to learn. For some women who don't really want to learn about guns, and prefer a "point and click" interface, perhaps someone who grew up thinking guns are for men, but have conceded that protection is a good thing, that may be true. It sounds like you are not one of those people. Any advice you get about a particular pistol may or may not apply to you. For example. A lot of people like the way a Glock fits their hand. For me it points way too high. I prefer a 1911 with a flat mainspring housing. It points better for me.

There are a lot of guns available out there. I personally used to carry a 1911 in .45 acp, but it's big and hard to conceal. I'm kind of wide so I get it caught on a lot of things. I almost always carry a kel-tec p3at, that fits in a pants pocket, and I can completely cover with one hand. It hurts a bit to shoot, but I'm told that people with smaller hands don't have that problem. It would fit in your purse nicely, it's .380 auto, and weighs 10 ounces fully loaded. It might be an option, but unless you want to start collecting guns, I would suggest you try it before you actually purchase it. because as I said, it's a very small, very light gun, and there's not a lot of mass to soak up the recoil for you.

As for the idea of purse carry, a lot of women do like that and it is a decent option, but do be aware that it is slower and less secure than carrying on your person. It takes a lot longer to dig into your purse to pull it out than it does to grab it off of your hip, or something, and if a purse snatcher comes along, you've just armed him, and lost whatever financial investment you've put into the gun. It's also easy to forget something placed into a bag or purse. More than one person has been arrested at an airport for forgetting that a gun was in a bag.

Now for your original question, are there any LDS gun websites? Not that I know of. I hang out at www.theguncounter.com. It's a fairly hardcore gun site, but newcommers are welcome, and politeness is required. There are a few LDS people there, and while the topic of religion, isn't really forbidden, any type of denigration of the religion of someone who is a regular there is generally dealt with by banning.

guns and lds are not related!!

No matter what anne actually meant by those words, the words themselves could not be further from the truth.

John Moses Browning, firearms designer, arguably the most important person in the development of modern semi-auto and full auto firearms, credited with 128 gun patents, inventor of the 1911A and the Browning .50 cal machine gun, was a Mormon. He was born in Ogden Utah and served a mission to Georgia in 1887. A sizeable percentage of operational firearms on planet earth today, still operate on principles and designs he created.

His father, Jonathan Browning, had a gun shop in Nauvoo that has been restored as a museum and is still part of the church tours. The guns he made at that time were imprinted with "Holiness to the Lord - Our Preservation." He made the trip with Brigham and the pioneers.

Our history is replete with fascinating accounts of us both taking up arms to defend, and laying them down to promote peace. At the top of it's game, the Nauvoo leigon was the biggest military force in Illinois. Mormons have been in our nation's armed forces since the pioneer days. Mormons fought on both sides in WWII. LDS are over-represented in federal arms-bearing professions like the CIA and secret service. I had a bishop in Utah who had a conceal-carry permit. One Sunday here in Colorado, we had more of our senior ward leadership out hunting than we did up on the stand.

Yes indeed, without fear of any relevant contradiction, LDS and guns are most certainly related.

Posted Image