Pessimistic about Girls Camp

DaZebra

My Young Women's group is HUGE. We easily have 40 or 50 girls, and about half of them are beehives. Consequentially, Girl's Camp is hugely stressful, at least for me. The first day is fun, but by the end of the week I feel crabby, sick, and completely exhausted. Most of this is because of those beehives who WILL NOT SHUT UP until three in the morning (and we have to be up and ready by 7:00 every day).

I have a reputation as a good girl, plus I'm the Mia Maid President, so I feel obliged to act excited and happy the whole week of Girl's camp. Put simply, I'm very much not. It's Stake-wide again this year, and that always puts a major addition of lameness on the idea.

My question being, how can I not just act positive about going to Girl's Camp, but actually feel positive? How can I feel good about being there and have the best experience I possibly can?

First things first, your leaders need to put the ki-bosh on the 3am giggles in a major way. I guarantee it makes them grumpy, too -- they're just better at hiding it! The last night of the week everyone is up late, and that's usually not too bad, but every night is unacceptable, because -- obviously -- it's hugely disruptive to other campers.

Do you have any free time hours during the afternoon? Consider taking a nap (I know that takes away from your fun time), or at least some quiet/alone time in your tent, during which you can re-center and re-balance yourself.

Also, though un-related to the issue with the Beehives, make sure you're well-hydrated. If you think you're getting enough water, add two more bottles in a day while at camp. That will help with the sick feeling, and also with the crabbiness, probably. (And if you make sure the Beehives over-hydrate, too, you might get to giggle to yourself when they keep having to get up in the night to pee!)

As for attitude vs. reality, the only advice I can give is "fake it 'til you make it." Next year you'll be a YCL, and hopefully separate from the Beehives.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was at girl's camp most of us were so tired we didn't stay up late. Maybe there needs to be more activities planned during the day. We also would have dances at night, sometimes until 10 or 11 which made us all tired if we weren't tired already.

Just try to focus on the fun you get to have with friends and don't worry about what others do. I think we were all a little crabby by the end of the week.

• 4 months later...

so I feel obliged to act excited and happy the whole week of Girl's camp.

God doesn't want you to lie. Ever. About anything.

Now that said, there is much you can do to try to be excited and happy, and you do have a certain amount of agency in the matter. And yes, a certain duty in the matter as well. But it's very easy to understand that you up to 3am every night for a week will leave you unable to be excited and happy. That's perfectly normal. And like Vort suggested, if you go tell your leaders what you told us, they can probably help you.