Do you think I should go on a mission?

apricots

So I'm inactive, and being 18 I've been making some plans for college, getting married, money/job, where to go, etc. But it hit me the other day at the Manti Pageant when a friend told me that it didn't matter if I was inactive, that I should still pray about it. The weird thing is, I never even considered going on a mission.

I don't mind getting sent to this or that place, learning a language, teaching, reading, studying, hiking, walking, riding, wearing suits all day, getting yelled at, etc. But my main concern is that my field I'm going into really only wants young guys, and by the time you're 25ish they expect you to be a senior engineer. And by the time you're 35 no one wants to hire you anymore, and I'm not exaggerating.

So I'd have to make my own business as soon as I got back, and that would mean skipping most of college and being mostly self taught.

What do YOU think? Should I go now and when I get back make my own company? Or go through college and leave on a mission when I'm a little older?

Do you have a testimony? Do you wish to spread the Gospel? Are you wanting to be obedient to Heavenly Father and sacrifice 2 years to do so?

Only you can answer whether you should go on a mission. But don't let your age be a determining factor.

Well, your concerns about education and career are real. Going on a mission does mean sacrifice. Many before you have had similar choices to make.

I think you have to decide what you really want in the big picture of things. Does your spiritual development matter as much as your career development?

My experience with God is that he rewards sacrifice. Either the reward is some way around your career concerns, or the reward is so spiritually sweet that it eclipses concerns and makes the sacrifice seem trivial.

One thing I can testify to is that my life has NEVER been compromised when I sacrifice for the Lord. In fact, the results have been the opposite. My life has become more full and blessed, and my being literally broadened in beautiful ways that couldn't have happened otherwise.

Setholsen. You seem like good people to me. It would be fun to see what God would do with a person such as you. :)

Best wishes in your decision making.

Read the Book of Alma and the conversion of Alma the younger and the four sons of Mosiah and their desire to preach to the wicked Lamanites. If you prayerfully fast while reading and understanding their purposes, you will know your answer. And if you truly feel inspired, read Jacob 5.

69 And the bad shall be cast away, yea, even out of all the land of my vineyard; for behold, only this once will I prune my vineyard.

70 And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard sent his servant; and the servant went and did as the Lord had commanded him, and brought other servants; and they were few.

71 And the Lord of the vineyard said unto them: Go to, and labor in the vineyard, with your might. For behold, this is the last time that I shall nourish my vineyard; for the end is nigh at hand, and the season speedily cometh; and if ye labor with your might with me ye shall have joy in the fruit which I shall lay up unto myself against the time which will soon come.

Edited by skalenfehl