Chess

Over43

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured sports would work since SI ran an article on chess some years back.

Anyway, anyone who peruses these forums play?

As I was looking through the net for LDS Chess I came across an LDS Living article in which a young LDS teen will be training with Garry Kasparov. Now that is something.

Guest Doctrine

I have played chess for many years and even belong to a chess club, I have a U.S. Rating of 1956. for some of those who know what a rating is.

I tried to start a ward chess club but no takers.

I have played chess for many years and even belong to a chess club, I have a U.S. Rating of 1956. for some of those who know what a rating is.

I tried to start a ward chess club but no takers.

That is excellent, an A player pushing Expert. They say Humphrey Bogart was an A player. LDS folks don't seem to be keen on games. Keep trying though.

Guest Doctrine

i do try, i even tried to start a scripture trivia team and still no takers.

but now that the great american bible challenge is coming out maby they will listen.

• 4 months later...
Hidden

Hi guys ...

Really nice talking about chess and also really nice above comments, guys, i also want to say something about chess, guys, i also really like chess, and specially i like to play chess, with my father, he is chess champion, and i love chess ...

Guest LiterateParakeet

Oh my stars, I love chess. I'm a mom, and I have taught all 5 of my children to play (well, my youngest who is 6 yr old taught himself by playing on the computer but that is another story.) My husband also plays, of course.

I teach chess at my children's homeschool/public school co-op. It is our third year. The first year I only had 5 students, the second year 8, but this year I have 18! Woot!

And, I am a Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor for Chess.

And dare I say this? My rating is pityful. You know the saying, those who can do, those who can't teach. I don't play nearly as well as I would like, but I am setting a lot of kids on the path of chess!!!

Bytheway, for my fellow homeschoolers, Chess4Life has a great on-line chess program, or CD's. Their founder, Elliot Neff, and some of his employees are homeschoolers. And if you are in the area (Bellevue, WA), they have great tournaments and weekend "quads".

ETA: My favorite chess book (for adults that want to teach kids about chess) is: Chess for Success by Maurice Ashley

And yes, I once blogged about chess!

Edited by LiterateParakeet

I haven't been able to play competitively since I blew out my knee during a game in Prague. I had a good friend who lost a kidney during the same tournament.

That's just plain not paying attention. Blowing out a knee I can understand, but misplacing internal organs is simply ridiculous.