Taking sacrament and Rated R movies

Hm.

Well, not all R rated movies are created equal.

Are you evaluating your worthiness based upon the R rating, or based upon the content?

Anyway, I think we are counseled to take the sacrament unless directed otherwise by a priesthood leader.

If there is anything here to repent of, I'm sure you can take care of it with a repentance prayer. Perhaps you could use the sacrament ordinance to recommit yourself to whatever you think went amiss here.

with a repentance prayer.

Might I suggest a rephrasing, "prayerful repentance" or "repentant prayer"? Not entirely sure but something about the phrasing has a connotation of checklistness. Repentance is about change not about having said a prayer (though praying can certainly be part of that), I realize you don't mean to imply such, it's something about the phrasing not your intent. The connotation in the phrasing is probably just my own brand of crazy.

Edited by Dravin

So I recently decided to see a Rated R movie. Am I able to take sacrament? Thanks.

Yes, if seeing the R-rated movie is all you're talking about.

I personally believe it's not a good idea to see an R-rated movie, and I also personally believe our prophets have specifically counseled us to avoid such. I avoid them and my children have never seen one. But afaik, it is not a "commandment" to avoid such movies and never has been construed as such, except by certain individuals.

For a lengthy discussion of whether or not LDS should avoid a movie because of the R-rating take a look at this string:

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/314-anyone-going-see-passion-christ-movie.html

I recall more than one post in which authors seemed determined to find the movie unworthy for numerous reasons, when the reality of it was the R-rating, and that some leaders had said R-rated movies were not commendable.

Sure, many had legitimate reasons for avoiding the movie--too graphic, too painful, unnecessary, gratuitous in the violence. However, more often than not, it seemed that the deciding factor was the R-rating.

As far as I know, the brethren have advised to avoid R movies, but I know of no dictate that says if you do there will be "consequences" (ie. not being able to take the sacrament.)

And speaking to PC's sidebar, I know lots of people who see "crap" movies that are P-13 just because they are "legal". This way of selecting viewing material never made much sense to me. It's not like the church is involved in the rating system at all. We use that...refer to it....because it's the best we've got for dictating guidelines to a global church. But hopefully we're using our brains more than just the letter of the law. If we are not, then we are missing the point.

So I recently decided to see a Rated R movie. Am I able to take sacrament? Thanks.

Deciding and doing are two different things.

Let me put it this way: Are you living up to the covenants you made at baptism to take upon yourself the name of Christ and always remember Him?

But fill in the blank: So I recently decided to ______________... am I able to take the sacrament?

What should we fill it in with? (You can use your imagination.)

And do you think we should take the sacrament after deciding and pursuing a course of action that is against what we have been taught?

As far as I know, the brethren have advised to avoid R movies, but I know of no dictate that says if you do there will be "consequences" (ie. not being able to take the sacrament.)

And speaking to PC's sidebar, I know lots of people who see "crap" movies that are P-13 just because they are "legal". This way of selecting viewing material never made much sense to me. It's not like the church is involved in the rating system at all. We use that...refer to it....because it's the best we've got for dictating guidelines to a global church. But hopefully we're using our brains more than just the letter of the law. If we are not, then we are missing the point.

Exactly. I think the GA's are allowed to say something is a Good Idea without everybody hand-wringing about it at every occasion. ;)

And as a bit more advice to Bini, this might be a good question to ask your Bishop: not because you have to confess to your Bishop every time you see an R rated movie, but because he is probably the best person to ask about figuring out whether you should take the sacrament. I would give an answer here, but I feel the answer to this question should come through study and prayer and some help from a leader if you feel that you need it.

Thanks for the responses.

I have not been taking sacrament because I didn't feel it was right timing but I had been planning to this Sunday (for the first time) but then last weekend I decided to see a Rated R movie. Then I started to wonder if it would be appropriate to go through with it or just wait. To update, I did decide to wait on it, again. I'm not sure I'll ever be in a spot where I'll feel I can take it every single Sunday.. Meh.

Time to have a chat with the bishop, Bini?

Yes, I think it's time.

We've been in our ward for a while now, of course, not too awfully long but long enough that we could probably setup a visit with the bishop. Don't tell anyone but.. I'm a bit scared of having to give a talk or something, after sitting down with the bishop! Hubby and I really aren't ready for that just yet. Especially, DH - well and - especially me.. Lol

Bini, there is a little known secret in the church---it's ok to say no to a request. If the bishop asks you to give a sacrament meeting talk now (which honestly, I'd be surprised he would do that to a newly activated member), then just say that you aren't ready for that yet.

We use that...refer to it....because it's the best we've got for dictating guidelines to a global church.

No, it isn't. Most countries use different systems for ratings. I grew up in Israel and saw quite a few movies that I only found out years later that they were rated R.

Bini, there is a little known secret in the church---it's ok to say no to a request. If the bishop asks you to give a sacrament meeting talk now (which honestly, I'd be surprised he would do that to a newly activated member), then just say that you aren't ready for that yet.

I suggest a modified version of this: it's allowed to say "no", and it's always acceptable to discuss your present situation with the bishop. In doing so, he might just withdraw the invitation or modify it to better fit one's circumstances.

No, it isn't. Most countries use different systems for ratings. I grew up in Israel and saw quite a few movies that I only found out years later that they were rated R.

You are right. I remember seeing certain movies in Portugal and then seeing the same movies in US version, and the rating was different.

And, of course, in the Philippines, the offending scenes just get cut out of the movie and the dialogue bleeped out. I saw several 80's movies once I got to America and had to say ... whoa... I don't remember that scene! Like, I can't believe Rob Lowe had sex with the virgin in St. Elmo's Fire! I mean, that's just terrible!

Our stake president put it this way..you are renewing your covenants that you made during baptism..can you commit yourself to not watching rated R movies for the next SEVEN DAYS? If so, take the sacrament... cleanse yourself with it and renew that covenant. If you have every intention of watching one within the next seven days, then don't take it... although I do beleive that the movie itself is not really the issue. I don't think any disciplinary action ever happens over rated R movies, it is a personal choice. But my point is that the Sacrament is for repentance and recommittment. Look at it that way, and use it as such.

as a (thankfully now former) Ward Exec Secretary you'd probably be surprised how many people turn down the opportunity to give a talk. Fully 1/3 of the people in my Ward turned down speaking assignments for one reason or another. I wouldn't have thought it was that high until I was called to the position to assign talks,