Deep study in the Catholic and LDS religion

Hi,

I am new here and my story is one that confuses people and breaks peoples hearts. I wanted to post this because I am having a bit of problems.

In 2002-2003 when Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped from her bedroom I prayed she would return home. And 9 months later she did. And then I started wondering what the church she was involved in was all about. I knew a girl who was LDS and I talked to her. Before I knew it I was meeting with Missionaries.

I grew up Catholic and had a basic understanding, but I was swayed into believing. The missionaries were very good. In fact I developed a crush on one- which did not help.

I was baptized in the church. My parents were upset but even came to my baptism. They had also given me a stack of information on why the church was a cult. I ignored them. I then missed my family and going to church with them and I left 3 weeks alter and got my name removed.

2 years later I felt I made a mistake and went back to meet with missionaries again. Again, I believed and every-time I showed them anti stuff they had an answer for it. In 2005 I was baptized a Mormon. This time I stayed for months. Got a calling in the nursery and had an interview for a temple recommend. I got the recommend and instead of going to the temple I resigned.

I then took Theology classes- Got my BA Major Theology and Got a job in a Catholic Church where I am currently the Director of Religious Education. People don't know my past- it is my own and I share it with those I trust.

Two weeks ago I went to Nauvoo to see what I really believed. I don't know if it is a social thing with me to be LDS or an attention thing?

I called missionaries and cancelled twice this week. I don't know why.I have a great job right now and know in the LDS church I would not be able to make money working for the church. I have prayed and i keep getting 'a study both faiths more' and 'not right no'. I also internally struggle because of this 'one true church thing' (both churches claim it)

Today, I wish I could call the missionaries and meet with them. I came to church during relief society and just walked around. the missionaries will not return my calls. I think I made them not want to work with me. I think that is a sign to put the nail in the coffin with searching witch religion.

Just a side note. I left the church due to my family, learning a lot of the history and fear. I lived with my parents and now I no longer do. I could have secretly join but that is just foolish.

Thanks for listening

If anyone wants to private message me from any faith that is okay with me

God Bless

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, being confused about religion is ok. I'm just not sure you've really made a decision for yourself.

When you say that you "don't know if it's a social thing or an attention thing", well, that sounds to me like maybe you do know but aren't letting yourself fully own it. Having missionaries come and pay attention to you can be a nurturing thing. If that is what you want/need, then your visits aren't about religion and you are using them. Religious discussion is perhaps the currency by which you get your needs met. You aren't the first to fall in love with the missionaries and the attention.

I guess I'm wondering how serious you are about finding answers to religious questions. If you are, you don't need the missionaries. You can attend church, study, and make a decision independent of them. There is not "nail in the coffin" here.

Edited by Misshalfway

Hello, Confused;

My heart goes out to you. It sounds like you are having a difficult time. I am reminded of some scriptures in the Bible~

Matt 10:32-39; 32 Whosoever therefore shall aconfess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 33 But whosoever shall adeny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

34 Think not that I am come to send apeace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man’s afoes shall be they of his own bhousehold.

37 He that aloveth father or mother bmore than me is not worthy of me: and he that cloveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his across, and followeth after me, is not bworthy of me.

39 aHe that findeth his life shall blose it: and he that closeth his dlife for my sake shall find it.

Also, 1 John 4:18; There is no afear in blove; but perfect clove casteth out fear: because fear hath dtorment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Some more thoughts and ideas...don't feel bad about how you react with the missionaries. I believe they carry the Spirit with them and that you are yearning to feel that Spirit/Love more, which is in part why you are so drawn to them.....Please forgive yourself and move on....Miss Halfway is right, you can go back to the LDS church and attend our meetings to study more.....

Most importantly, I would invite you to soberly study the Book of Mormon and pray. This is one way I draw close to God and feel His direction in my life. Please utilize this tool in drawing closer to our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ. Strengthen and fortify yourself. You are in an extremely difficult situation where, in order to follow your belief in the LDS church you are required to sacrifice a great deal. Don't focus on the "history" as much as focusing on feeling, and following, the promptings of the Holy Ghost. I believe that you are feeling these promptings with how drawn you seem to be to the LDS church. You keep coming back searching for something.

Have you ever received a priesthood blessing? Fasting, praying and then getting a priesthood blessing is a powerful way to open the Heavens' to receive answers to your prayers.....Please contact the bishop in the ward your in and request a visit with him to get a blessing....

Also, there are many people who earn money working for our church. Seminary teachers and those who work at the church office building. More importantly, if you are true to God and the promptings/guidance He is giving you to come back to the LDS church, He will be true to you in not forsaking you in your need(s) to support yourself. Perhaps you can find an alternate form of work, or be lead by Him to something in your field...

Lastly, I want to bear testimony to you that I know the Holy Ghost is real and has answered many of my prayers. I know the power of the priesthood in the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS is the power of God here on earth.....I have had many priesthood blessings throughout the years that confirm this.....I know the covenants I made before/with God at the time of my baptism and going through the temple are authentic in that they are recognized by God....The LDS church is His church. Of this I am sure....

Lastly, be true to yourself and the promptings you have been given. I know, given your circumstances, that this must be very difficult for you to do. However, being one of the Saviors' true disciples has never been easy; but, very worth it.....

Dove

I think the prophet Elijah said it perfectly, " How long halt ye between two opinions?"

Both churches are good churches. We do not claim to be the only true and living church, but the one that God is fully pleased with (D&C 1). Why? Because we have not closed off revelation from God, saying it ended with the Bible. Because we believe God has restored prophets and apostles and their authority in these last days. That we believe God has restored ancient things to us (such as what happens in the temple) that no other church has with their limited understanding of the mysteries of God.

So, the question is, which church has the full authority and approval of God (if either of them)? Either God gives his greatest authority to the Pope, or to Prophets and Apostles.

The missionaries may not be working with you, because you have not been truly sincere and real to it before. Look, you've been baptized twice and resigned twice. Why should anyone believe you this time? The missionaries and members have taught you much regarding the gospel. Now it is in your court. YOU have to do the work required to gain a personal testimony of either the Catholic or LDS Church. They are both good churches, but only one of them can be God's fully authorized church.

I would suggest you do a few things to determine this:

1) Study the Book of Mormon all the way through. After closely reading it all the way through THEN take the challenge given in Moroni 10:3-5.

2) Attend weekly for a year without asking for the missionaries to teach you.

3) Keep the commandments, pray daily specifically about gaining a testimony one way or the other, and study the Book of Mormon and Bible.

You need to get off the fence and stay off the fence. Either be a faithful Catholic or a faithful Latter-day Saint. So, it is now up to you to find out what God's will for you really is.

I come from a very devout Catholic family. My parents did not speak to me for over a year just because I married a non-Catholic. Then, I got baptized LDS... When my first child was born, my family started speaking to me again. Now, everything is hunky dory.

So yeah, you're lucky that your parents even attended your baptism!

I think you're going about it the wrong way. You don't get baptized just because It Feels Good at the time. You get baptized because you gained a testimony of TRUTH. Once you gained that testimony, there's no shaking it. The world could blow up in a million pieces infront of me and it won't shake my testimony that the Restored Gospel is true.

I learned a lot of gospel truths as a Catholic. I felt the voice of the Spirit guide me as a Catholic. I felt God answer my prayers. I have testimony of the truth of what I learned as a Catholic. If the missionaries would have come along and told me that the Holy Spirit that guided me all this time was the "evil spirit", I would have slammed the door on their faces.

My stumbling block was the Apostasy. It either happened or it didn't. If it happened, the LDS Church is the true church. If it didn't happen, the Catholic Church is the true church. I fasted and prayed for a full day before I sat down on the beach and studied the Apostasy. I got a confirmation of the truth of it. Truth that I've known all along. But, since I'm a stubborn woman, it took me months before I got baptized LDS after I gained that testimony of the Apostasy. I went through a period of confusion - hanging on to tradition. Until finally, I just couldn't deny the truth anymore and I got baptized. My ties to my family was never a consideration. When truth is staring me in the face, not even my family can make me turn my back on it.

But, I would never have found the full gospel had I not been devout Catholic for so long. The Catholic Church is rich in gospel truths and their catechism is an excellent way to learn a lot of them. So, I will eternally be grateful for what Catholicism has taught me. I say it all the time here on lds.net. I love the Catholic Church and I will continue to love it forever.

I still attend Catholic services with my nephews/neices baptisms, special mass offerings, and such. Masses are held a lot of times in my sister's house, so when I go visit with her, I usually end up hearing mass too. When my 2nd child got baptized LDS at 8 years old, my family attended it - the first time ever that they attended a non-Catholic religious activity. It was awesome.

But, I can clearly see where Catholic truth ends and where the Restored Gospel begins. And learning about the Restore Gospel makes what I learned as a Catholic much clearer. I mean - even the Trinity becomes much clearer when looked at from the perspective of the Godhead.

So, what you need to do - being master of theology should make this easier. Study the Restored Gospel - even on an academic level. And when you're ready to look at things on a spiritual level, fast and pray about it and see where it leads you. When you diligently seek for truth, you will find it. And it will be like your feet are planted in a concrete foundation. There's no shaking it.

Edited by anatess

A long story short. I was born and raised a Catholic and then in my early 20s became LDS and resigned 3 weeks later because my parents never accepted .

2 and a half years later I joined again and resigned after receiving my temple recommend (you can read my story in the advice section)

I work for the Catholic church. I have a Theology degree. In the back of my mind I keep wanting to go back to the LDS church. I honestly can't tell you why. I think it is the "one True Church" thing and not wanting to be wrong.

I love my Catholic faith and I think that is why I continue to go back. Since I work for the Catholic Church and have built my life around it it would mean a lot to give it up. I have decided to study both faiths again- deep study for a year. I will then pray and see where my feelings lead me.

If I go back to the LDS Church I would have to meet with the Bishop and 2 counselors- which is scary to me and I don't know If I am ready yet.

I will continue to work and go to church at the Catholic church and occasionally go to the LDS Church on Sundays.

I hope this helps me.

I have thought about protestant religions, but I have not felt the need to really go looking into them.

If any LDS or catholics would like to PM me I would really welcome that.

Now for my question- What are good books and resources in both religions to start?

I was thinking the Catechism of the CatholicChurch (which I know but will study further) along with the Catholic Bible. For LDS I would use the basic materials I have from past years (gospel principles- just got the updated one) I need to buy a true to the faith.

Edited by confused123

Although it does not quite fit the bill you've presented, I still feel compelled to recommend to you the book: How Wide the Divide, by Blomberg & Robinson. It presents an evangelical and an LDS professor discussing a few major doctrinal differences--where they believe they can agree, and where they cannot. Since they discuss the Trinity, salvation, scriptures, etc., you might find the interaction fruitful.

https://byustudies.byu.edu/showTitle.aspx?title=6595

Edited by prisonchaplain
add link

A long story short. I was born and raised a Catholic and then in my early 20s became LDS and resigned 3 weeks later because my parents never accepted .

2 and a half years later I joined again and resigned after receiving my temple recommend (you can read my story in the advice section)

I work for the Catholic church. I have a Theology degree. In the back of my mind I keep wanting to go back to the LDS church. I honestly can't tell you why. I think it is the "one True Church" thing and not wanting to be wrong.

I love my Catholic faith and I think that is why I continue to go back. Since I work for the Catholic Church and have built my life around it it would mean a lot to give it up. I have decided to study both faiths again- deep study for a year. I will then pray and see where my feelings lead me.

If I go back to the LDS Church I would have to meet with the Bishop and 2 counselors- which is scary to me and I don't know If I am ready yet.

I will continue to work and go to church at the Catholic church and occasionally go to the LDS Church on Sundays.

I hope this helps me.

I have thought about protestant religions, but I have not felt the need to really go looking into them.

Now for my question- What are good books and resources in both religions to start?

I was thinking the Catechism of the CatholicChurch (which I know but will study further) along with the Catholic Bible. For LDS I would use the basic materials I have from past years (gospel principles- just got the updated one) I need to buy a true to the faith.

Ok, I've read your posts. So what is it that you seek? Truth with a capital "T"? Or...

HiJolly

• 2 weeks later...

I went to church last Sunday. Boith the Catholic Mass and then LDS church. I talked with the bishop and he said I could always attend, but he would have to see about being rebaptized a 3rd time. I said I was only studying and not looking to be baptized anytime soon.

I keep wishing I could have visiting teachers or home teachers, I also wish I didn't. I am so confused I think it is best I just continue to study

• 3 weeks later...

I am l.d.s. but was catholic, it is not easy to make this choice. If you look at the articles of faith you will see that the l.d.s. church teaches that all men and women can worship as they see right. This helped me to take my time and not be pushed into one or the other. This has to be for you and no one else. Study, pray, and think. It has taken me 16+ years to get to this point. I can now feel the love in the church and the love from God. Let your soul lead you ,and try to get your head to follow. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Catholic church , and the sacrament of penance was great, but many good things in life are hard and take a lot of work. Keep working on your quest. Only you will know when you get there.

I wonder whether the OP, would benefit from an LDS version of "Alpha". A group course were people get together to learn and discuss (traditional evanglelical) Christianity.

(Given your the Latter Day Saints, you could call it "Omega")Posted Image

Today, I wish I could call the missionaries and meet with them. I came to church during relief society and just walked around. the missionaries will not return my calls. I think I made them not want to work with me. I think that is a sign to put the nail in the coffin with searching witch religion.

Just a side note. I left the church due to my family, learning a lot of the history and fear. I lived with my parents and now I no longer do. I could have secretly join but that is just foolish.

Confused,

I actually was happy to read your story. I feel that the Lord is looking after you and loves you. I think you are wise to study and to seek a spiritual confirmation.

Your story reminds me of a man I met, Roger Keller. Dr. Roger Keller was a trained minister ( with a Ph.D in Religion from Duke) with a chapel in Arizona (which has a significant amount of Mormons). His congregation asked him to teach them about Mormonism. He told them that "first I'll teach you about your religion and then we can talk about the Mormons". He eventually taught them about Mormons and became involved in a Christian group which reviewed the anti-Mormon book/video "the Godmakers" in which the Christians asserted that it was a misrepresentation of the LDS history and beliefs. He then later published a book called "Reformed Christians and Mormon Christians, sit down, let's talk" which talked about differences and similarities between the religious outlooks.

Keller had been seeing the missionaries for years and had talked to them about everything. At one point he received a witness and instantly converted. He realized that this meant he would lose his job and that his education as a minister was next to void in the LDS church (6 years of schooling!). He told his congregation of his conversion, resigned, and started working as a cab driver. To me that is amazing. Here is this successful guy, a published author and established minister with a Ph.D, working as a cab driver. That takes faith and conviction. Some time later her received a call from the LDS university BYU asking him if he could religious education there (not a minister but a teacher). He later served as a Bishop (who as you know is a lay minister) and has been very involved in inter-fail dialogues (particularly non-christians). He gave a talk which I though of while I was reading your post. It is

I would really encourage you to listen to it. He talks about conversion a lot and how the church isn't opposing any religions. He takes it more from a protestant viewpoint but it can apply to you as well.

I would encourage you to have the missionaries over and study with them. Seek for a spiritual witness, one that cannot be taken from you by any secular means. The Lord loves you and he will provide for you. While I do believe that the LDS church is the restored church of God I believe that God is in both of the churches and they are both doing great things. I am thankful I am a member of the LDS church and though the additional knowledge it gives me I feel I know Jesus and God better and can better worship them. After all "this is life eternal that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent" (John 17:3). God Bless you, follow what you believe God wishes for you to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this helps me.

Take your time. This is an important decision either way you go. I have no idea of the catechetical opportunites available to you in your particular parish, but there are numerous resources out there for anyone who truly want to understand their faith. There is an unfortunate tendency among many Catholics to show up on Sunday and forget about it for the rest of the week. Learn your faith. Read the Catechism along with scripture. Talk to your priest. Sign up for the bible studies and other cataechetical opportunities. Sit in on the RCIA sessions. But don't make this decision lightly. This is not like choosing whether or not to be Orthodox or Catholic. Mormon and Catholic theology could not be farther apart. We share many other things in common; the importance of family, fidelity, and basically living a good life. But our differences in belief are stark. We have very little, if anything in common theologically. And since you are deciding which religion to choose, theology is all important.

Good luck on your journey. You will be in my prayers tonight.

Steve

Edited by StephenVH

But our differences in belief are stark. We have very little, if anything in common theologically. And since you are deciding which religion to choose, theology is all important.

Good luck on your journey. You will be in my prayers tonight.

Steve

Yes, our differences in belief are stark. But I disagree that we have very little, if anything in common theologically.

The Catholic faith can be a springboard to the restored gospel. It's like graduating from elementary on to high school.

Mormon and Catholic theology could not be farther apart. We share many other things in common; the importance of family, fidelity, and basically living a good life. But our differences in belief are stark. We have very little, if anything in common theologically.

Huh - you mean Catholics don't believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost? You don't believe in heaven, or the atonement of Christ, or in prayer? You don't believe in revealation, or authority given to individuals to act in God's name? You don't believe in baptism?

The Catholic family that lives next door to me would probably be surprised to hear that.

Huh - you mean Catholics don't believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost? You don't believe in heaven, or the atonement of Christ, or in prayer? You don't believe in revelation, or authority given to individuals to act in God's name? You don't believe in baptism?

The Catholic family that lives next door to me would probably be surprised to hear that.

Tell you what, Loudmouth, why don't you let me tell you what I believe instead of you telling me what I believe.

Abraham Lincoln once asked "If you call a dog's tale a leg, how many legs does a dog have? It still has only four." Just because we use the same words does not mean that we have the same beliefs.

Trinity vs. Godhead

You are implying that since Mormons profess to believe in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit then we have that in common. We believe in three divine persons united in one divine being, the Holy Trinity. You believe in three seperate and distinct beings united only in purpose and authority. The fact that you believe they are three distinct and separate beings means we are talking about three gods who happen to agree with each other. That is miles away and in complete contradiction to the Catholic understanding and belief.

Heaven

The Mormon idea of heaven is drastically different then the Catholic idea. The Catholic idea of heaven is sharing in the life of the Holy Trinity as adopted (not literal) son's and daughters of God. Our purpose is not to procreate for eternity and create our own little worlds in which to rule over, but to live in the presence of God in intimacy with him.

Marriage is not a requirement in order to receive the highest glory in heaven. We could then discuss the differences between the theory of "exaltation" vs. "theosis" if we wanted get into further differences. The point is, again, we are miles apart.

The atonement of Christ

Even something as simple as the "Atonement" is different for a Mormon than it is for a Catholic. The reason for this is the differences in our understanding of why we need a Savior in the first place. The Catholic view is that man fell from grace with God, by his own choice. This placed man outside of the family of God. Christ, through his suffering and death on the cross, redeemed us and made salvation from our sins possible in order to restore our relationship and bring us back into the family of God. The Mormon view as I understand it (and I am open for correction here) is that Adam and Eve were walking around in the Garden in a state of ignorant bliss. Sin was a necessary part of God's original plan so that we may know good from evil and thereby progress to godhood. These are completely contradictory ideas.

Revelation

We believe that Christ is God's only Word and He has no other. We believe that he is the fullness of God's revelation of himself to man; "When you have seen me, you have seen the Father". Because God has been fully revealed in the person Christ, we await no further public revelation. This does not mean that God no longer communicates with his Church. Indeed, we were promised by Christ himself that we would not be left orphans, that he would remain with his Church until the end of time and the He has sent his Holy Spirit to guide the Church into all truth. We even believe in private revelation (which no one is required to believe) but it cannot efffect doctrine which is based upon what Christ revealed to the Apostles. Mormon's believe that modern revelation is necessary; that Christ was not the fullness of God's revelation of himself to mankind. Again, we do not believe the same thing.

Authority

We believe that God founded his Church upon the rock of Peter and gave his Church the keyes to the kingdom of heaven; the power to bind and loose and the power to forgive sins. In other words, the One who had authority gave His authority to the Church. It is Christ's Church ("Upon this rock I will build my Church) not man's Church. That is why it could never fail and is not dependent upon man's strength in order to succeed and flourish. The Mormon belief is that Christ's Church failed and therefore needed to be restored. Completley different beliefs concerning authority.

Baptism

We believe in a baptism that sanctifies us and removes all sin, and infuses supernatural life within us. We believe it is a sacrament; a gift from God and a unilateral action on behalf of God. It is much more than a public statement of belief. It actually has an effect on our souls. You tell me if that is the Mormon understanding. If it is not, then we disagree once more.

So please show me again what we have in common theologically? I would venture very little, if anything at all. From the Catholic view, one leaving the Catholic faith (assuming one understands the Catholic faith and is not "Catholic" in name only) is leaving the truth for a lie, so this is a profound decision the OP is making and it should not be made lightly. The Mormon view may be the same in this regard and we might, after all, have that in common, just at different ends of the spectrum.

Edited by StephenVH

Okay Steve... there are a lot of not-true things you said above. But, there's no point in mentioning them. Because, yes, if you prefer to focus on the differences than the similarities then yes, you are right, there are tons of differences. Most of them rooted in a few bedrock LDS restoration concepts absent in the Catholic faith - like Pre-mortal existence and the First Vision.

Moving on.

Yes, our differences in belief are stark. But I disagree that we have very little, if anything in common theologically.

Please demonstrate a theological doctrine that we have in common?

The Catholic faith can be a springboard to the restored gospel. It's like graduating from elementary on to high school.

Well, that is certainly a matter of opinion. The Catholic faith cannot act as a springboard to Mormonism if one truly understands the Catholic faith. This is not like the differences between a Methodist and a Presbyterian, or a Catholic and Eastern Orthodox. It is more like the difference between Christianity and Hinduism. Our Church no longer even recognizes Mormon baptism as valid because of the differences in undertanding between the Holy Trinity and the Mormon Godhead. That's how far apart we are.

Where we do have something in common is in our value of the family, acts of charity and respect for the inherent dignity of each person. I am getting ready to vote for a Mormon president and I have no qualms whatsoever about doing that. I would rather my kids hang out with Mormon kids rather than just about anyone other than Catholic kids. In short, there is much that I admire. But we cannot ignore our religious differences and pretend that we all believe the same thing. Nevertheless, we can walk side by side and accomplish good in this world together.

Okay Steve... there are a lot of not-true things you said above. But, there's no point in mentioning them.

That's not fair. If I have said something untrue then please inform me so that I don't do it again. I don't wish to make things up in order to form a credible argument. That would kind of defeat the purpose, would it not? The question had to do with the assertion that we have common beliefs concerning "Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost", our concept of "heaven", the "Atonement", "Revelation", "Authority" and "Baptism". I have demonstrated that we do not. Please tell me where I am wrong.

Because, yes, if you prefer to focus on the differences than the similarities then yes, you are right, there are tons of differences. Most of them rooted in a few bedrock LDS restoration concepts absent in the Catholic faith - like Pre-mortal existence and the First Vision.

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with me "preferring to focus on the differences", rather it had to do with the fact that responding to your comments neccesitates either agreeing with your position or pointing out the differences. That was the nature of the subject, was it not?

Edited by StephenVH

Please demonstrate a theological doctrine that we have in common?

Well, that is certainly a matter of opinion. The Catholic faith cannot act as a springboard to Mormonism if one truly understands the Catholic faith. This is not like the differences between a Methodist and a Presbyterian, or a Catholic and Eastern Orthodox. It is more like the difference between Christianity and Hinduism. Our Church no longer even recognizes Mormon baptism as valid because of the differences in undertanding between the Holy Trinity and the Mormon Godhead. That's how far apart we are.

Where we do have something in common is in our value of the family, acts of charity and respect for the inherent dignity of each person. I am getting ready to vote for a Mormon president and I have no qualms whatsoever about doing that. I would rather my kids hang out with Mormon kids rather than just about anyone other than Catholic kids. In short, there is much that I admire. But we cannot ignore our religious differences and pretend that we all believe the same thing. Nevertheless, we can walk side by side and accomplish good in this world together.

We've had this discussion before Steve. It's really tedious having to go back to it again. And no, the springboard comment is because I understand BOTH Catholic and LDS, whereas you only understand Catholic.

Okay, I found one thing I wrote before on here. There's a bunch more I just can't find it anymore.

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/44192-doctrines-surrounding-creation-5.html#post644533

This one too: http://www.lds.net/forums/learn-about-mormon-church/29985-trinity-11.html#post474886 but you have to read up to the previous posts to see the context of the linked post.

That's just an example of how if you focus on the differences then yes, it gives the impression of the big divide. But, if you ferret out the missing doctrine then the springboard makes a whole lot of sense and LDS doctrine becomes understandable from a Catholic standpoint. Of course, it is not necessary to believe in the missing doctrine to understand where the LDS is coming from in light of 2,000 years of Catholicism. But, there are people like PrisonChaplain, an evangelist, who sees the springboard from the similarities to understand LDS doctrine and then there's SteveVH who, because of his fierce devotion to the Catholic faith, refuses to see it. Sometimes I wonder if there's really any other reason he is here other than to proselyte his Catholic faith...

Edited by anatess