Super Saturday

sugarcrane2

On Super Saturday do you all have the classes scheduled or have it come and get your packet in your own time? What seems to work better? I’ve only been to 2, last year not very many people showed and it was get your packet and do it on your own and the other (maybe 7 years ago) that was scheduled and each class had a time. More people where there but it was also a different state. I personally like the idea of being scheduled but I might just be an old fuddy duddy on it

My ward does "Fantastic Friday" and it's a "pick up your packet" type of deal, with the person in charge of each craft or activity stationed at a specific table to offer instruction. The only time anything has been "scheduled" has been when a craft has involved "dry time" or something similar between start and finish. So like, if something needs to be painted, allowed to dry, and then decorated further, you're advised to start that activity *first*, and then do other activities while you're waiting for your project to be ready for the next step.

We don't tend to do super-complicated activities though, so this works.

I was in charge of a super saturday once. I had set times that each class would be done so that people could do more than one class and that those teaching only had to teach once. That also allowed those teaching to attend the other classes if they wanted.

Plus I set up an area that was a free area basically. Anyone that had an unfinished project, wanted to scrapbook could set up an area and work on it.

We also did a salad luncheon with rolls. It was a potluck salad luncheon.

We had this from 9 am to 3 pm with lunch at noon.

I was homemaking leader for awhile. I learned from experience that the more structured it was the more people I got there.

Especially when they knew exactly when a class was going to be and could work it around family schedules etc.

My ward no longer does "Super Saturday". I was only able to attend once or twice in years past when they were being done. I usually couldn't afford to do any of the crafts.

My ward tries to keep the prices way way down. Rarely is there a craft that costs more than $3 to do, and they always try to have 2 or 3 "free" ones (ones that they can afford to pay for from the budget) so that nobody feels discouraged from participating for financial reasons.

• 2 months later...