Children and anatomically correct dolls

Bini

I was on Etsy window shopping and came across these adorable made-to-order soft sculpture dolls. From the product photos, you can't tell that these dolls are anatomically correct, however, if you read the item description, it states:

The body is made with a stretch knit and premium quality poly-fill then lightly stuffed with BB's for a natural feel. Baby’s face is soft sculptured for a realistic look, and also the limbs, bellybutton and toushie. Ears are sculpted then sewn on as well as the little penis and testies. The hair is made out of fake fur that can be brushed and styled. Baby has painted on closed eyes.

I was a bit taken by surprise but not offended, and after some thought, I'd still buy one. The dolls are intended as toys for children aged 4 and up. They really are cute, in fact, one of the display dolls looks just like my daughter.. Haha. So how do you feel about children and anatomically correct dolls?

I think that if you get one, get one from the start. Other wise is is new and something that will require qa little most explanation. Get one early and it will be no big deal. Just make sure it stays modest unless the child is changing it's clothes. I think dolls are a good way to teach modesty and biology. I just think the doll should be treated with modesty and respect as to teach a child such. Not that the child can't change it. I know little children that help change real babies diapers. I don't really see a difference. As long as the child gets simple child appropriate and honest (no silly answers) when questions come up. I see it as no big deal.

Other wise is is new and something that will require qa little most explanation.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing though, being new can mean questions and it's a perfect opportunity to discuss and go over the things you talk about in the rest of your post such as biology, modesty, and appropriate behavior.

There are tons of cute dolls out there. I had different collections growing up - including a Raggedy Ann collection, a Barbie Collection, and a ceramic collection complete with glass cases. I don't really care to teach my kids anatomy through a doll. And not at age 0 at any rate. They'll learn it when it's time for them to learn it just like how we all learned it... through natural curiousity and an open environment where questions are welcome and satisfactory answers are given.

I guess it's in the same reverence that I treat private parts with the reverence I treat God. I wouldn't think of getting my kid a toy Jesus...

• 1 month later...

First the doll is a good way for children to understand boys and girls are different period.

Second if you let your child help change another sibling and they are different there are going to be questions that need answers anyway

Third use the correct names for different parts of the body no matter where they are!!

Fourth I think more adults are offended by anatomically correct dolls then the kids are.

Fifth just how many of you with small children of different sexes have not seen each other naked at some point?

my friend had one when... well, I can't remember, but we were very young. I thought they were so fascinating and very much like a real baby. I really wanted one, but they were expensive at the Quilted Bear.

In other words, even as a small child, perversion was the last thing on my mind. They were "just like real babies!" and that was cool to me and that was that.

Personally, I think they're just fine for kids. I mean, kids understand the gender differences if they're around other little kids--I distinctly remembering having serious compare-and-contrast conversations with my brothers when we were pretty darn young.

Yeah, a few kids find it hilariuos and make potty jokes, but I think most of those jokes are developmentally normal.

If a child is seriously disturbed by the dolls, something else is wrong.

In our home we have a cabinate with "restricted" videos in it. These are not R rated movies, rather they are movies (some a rated G) that have things in them that we did not want to find ourselves explaining to someone elses kids.

Anatomically correct dolls would fall into that same catagory for us.

Answering those type of questions for my own kids is fine, but I don not want to answer them when someone elses kids ask them. Anatomically correct dolls would likely stir lots of those questions in your childrens friends when they came over to play.

When our children were small, a naked doll was something that just wasn't tolerated. My gandother was iving with us & she just could not stand to see a naked doll laying around.

EVERY doll had a one-piece set of "underware" made for them with that final seam being sown by hand after the "underware" was put on the doll.

In our home our kids heard anatomocally correct names & knew the body parts etc from early on. They knew about breeding animals & the basics of sex by the time they were in kindergarten. That was life for us. But we did not want or like having to explain those type of things to someone elses kids.

The Gospel Principles Manual chapter on Chastity starts with this:

Parents can begin teaching children to have proper attitudes toward their bodies when children are very young. Talking to children frankly but reverently and using the correct names for the parts and functions of their bodies will help them grow up without unnecessary embarrassment about their bodies.

Children are naturally curious. They want to know how their bodies work. They want to know where babies come from. If parents answer all such questions immediately and clearly so children can understand, children will continue to take their questions to their parents. However, if parents answer questions so that children feel embarrassed, rejected, or dissatisfied, they will probably go to someone else with their questions and perhaps get incorrect ideas and improper attitudes.

It is not wise or necessary, however, to tell children everything at once. Parents need only give them the information they have asked for and can understand. While answering these questions, parents can teach children the importance of respecting their bodies and the bodies of others. Parents should teach children to dress modestly. They should correct the false ideas and vulgar language that children learn from others.

By the time children reach maturity, parents should have frankly discussed procreation with them. Children should understand that these powers are good and were given to us by the Lord. He expects us to use them within the bounds He has given us.

Little children come to earth pure and innocent from Heavenly Father. As parents pray for guidance, the Lord will inspire them to teach children at the right time and in the right way.

The Gospel Principles Manual chapter on Chastity starts with this:

We had someone on this site a few months back who was talking about how much he liked using vulgar and childish body part names and language during marital intimacy. I wonder how such people teach their children to call body parts. I'm guessing the children pick up their parents' embarrassment and typically find themselves as adults who still have to talk about "your boobies" or "my peepee", or even more vulgar equivalents thereof. Kinda sad.