Need some info...

jiminycricket

Hello all, long time no see... good to be back among my forum friends...

I have a request. I need help finding the name and mailing address of my Area Authority Seventy or Area President (can't remember which title is correct nowadays). I live just outside Charlotte, NC. I've scoured the church websites and the best I've come up with is the general Church Headquarters address (in the Church Newsroom).

I suppose a request like that deserves some explanation.

The bottom line is this: I have a personal spiritual health concern, something I am anxious to take care of. Unfortunately, the kind of concern (a very delicate matter implicating other members in the area) is such that it would be very uncomfortable and perhaps even inappropriate to address the issue with ward or stake leaders. So, I'm trying to write a private letter to my Area Authority Seventy for advice and/or to take care of the matter.

I would just ask my local leaders for the name and address, but rumors have already started to swirl (I know for a fact they've already reached my bishop by way of my previous bishop who heard from a friend of mine) so if I were to ask them I'm sure they would ask why I needed it, and even if I dodged the question I think they would suspect, and probably believe the situation is worse than it is.

I realize that I should trust my leaders more, but I also know myself well enough to know that if I don't find some way to take care of this without involving them it will take me a long time to reach the level of trust and courage I'd need in order to talk to them, and by that time the collateral damage spiritually speaking would be considerable in both breadth and depth.

I would be very grateful to anyone who could provide the information or point me in the right direction.

Jimmy C

PS - If providing the information itself, it might be best to PM me instead of posting a public reply, in the interest of the privacy of the Seventy.

Edited by jiminycricket
Added Post Script

Very often people who write to their area Seventy or to the Pres of the Church find themselves talking to their Bishop with their letter on his desk.

Go talk to your Bishop.

Your Bishop is the person with stewardship over you as a member of the ward. He is your Judge in Israel until he is released. Even the Pres of the church has a Bishop.

Official Church policy regarding members communicating with non-local leaders:

Members’ Communication with Church Headquarters

Members of the Church are discouraged from making telephone calls or writing letters to General Authorities about doctrinal issues or personal matters. With an ever-increasing Church membership, responding personally to these inquiries presents an almost insurmountable task and would make it difficult for General Authorities to fulfill the duties for which they alone are responsible. The General Authorities love the members of the Church and do not want them to feel that they are without the support and guidance they need. However, all things need to be done with wisdom and order.

The Lord has organized His Church so every member has access to a bishop or branch president and a stake, district, or mission president who serve as spiritual advisers and temporal counselors. By reason of their callings, these local leaders are entitled to the spirit of discernment and inspiration to enable them to counsel members within their jurisdiction.

Members who need spiritual guidance, have weighty personal problems, or have doctrinal questions should make a diligent effort, including earnest prayer and scripture study, to find solutions and answers themselves. Church members are encouraged to seek guidance from the Holy Ghost to help them in their personal lives and in their family and Church responsibilities.

If members still need help, they should counsel first with their bishop. If necessary, he may refer them to the stake president.

In most cases, correspondence from members to General Authorities will be referred back to their local leaders. Stake presidents who need clarification about doctrinal or other Church matters may write in behalf of their members to the First Presidency.

(emphasis mine)

(Source: Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 2, 21.1.24)