Bishops' responsibilities when confessed to...

Just in case no one else who actually knows what s/he's talking about answers:

It is my understanding that there are certain crimes, such as murder, forcible rape, and child molestation, that a bishop is legally required to report to police. I am quite sure marijuana usage is not one of those crimes. I doubt a bishop would report pot usage to the authorities.

But again, I speak from supposition, not sure knowledge.

Actually the Bishop is not required to report anything to police. A friend is a police officer and a high councilman and he cant participate in Stake court if it involves anything illegal because as a cop he is legally obligated to report it. Conversations with the bishop are privileged under law unless your bishop has a job where he is legally mandated to report it such as cop, teacher if it involves children etc.

Turn someone in for pot ?? that would depend...I never had to make that choice as a Bishop or a Branch Pres, meaning no one confessed something of a serious crime etc. I had a close friend of mine who was called as the Bishop after I was released who did tell the authorities. A former member came to him to confess some things he did. The man had been out of prison a short time and had already broken the law. He did the same crimes again. Bishop notified the police and the man is still in prison. I too would have done the same thing and gone to the police.

Turn someone in for pot ?? that would depend...I never had to make that choice as a Bishop or a Branch Pres, meaning no one confessed something of a serious crime etc.

Isn't there something in the bishop's handbook r that instructs you on what to do in these cases?

I had a close friend of mine who was called as the Bishop after I was released who did tell the authorities. A former member came to him to confess some things he did. The man had been out of prison a short time and had already broken the law. He did the same es again. Bishop notified the police and the man is still in prison. I too would have done the same thing and gone to the police.

What were the crimes the man committed? I'm inclined to believe that they would need to report more serious crimes like rape, murder, etc. but, like Vort, I admit I'm not the expert.

I don't know if it's the same for clergy, but ISTR a lawyer telling me once that confidentiality only protected him from becoming an accessory after the fact. IOW, it only applied to something that had already happened, whereas he could be required to report some ongoing crimes, and usually did have to report if someone admitted to him that they were planning to commit a crime.

So, if that's the case, confessing that you took a hit while your buddy had his bong fired up would be different from confessing that you smoke it every day. (Implying that you maintain a stash, thus being an ongoing possession offense.)