Temple work for siblings

amethyst333

Hi,

I teach family history classes in my ward. One of the women, "Mary", in my class is a convert. Mary's dying sister, "Sue" gave Mary permission to do Sue's temple work. Another family consultant in my ward told Mary that she absolutely could not do Sue's work unless Sue's husband gave permission. Sue has now passed on, and Mary is confused as to what to do. Obviously, she would tell the husband what she was doing.

I understand the bond of marriage. I understand we don't do the work for celebrities, people we aren't related to, and Holocaust Victims. But siblings? I have searched several manuals on this. I can't find that the husband has to give permission.

Thanks.

If she has permission she should do the work. However there are some circumstances that might change her mind. Did "Sue" have children? Are they going to do want to do their mother's work some day? Did "Sue" tell her husband what she wanted done after she died? Or that she wanted "Mary" to do her temple work? Most importantly what is the Spirit telling her.

When relationship's are that close its important to not do something that will hurt feelings.

My MIL has done the temple work for all her sisters. Out of 5 girls and one boy, she and her brother are the only ones still living. When her brother dies his work will be done and if my in-laws are no longer here it will be my husband or his brother who do the work.

• 3 months later...

This is what the web site says:

Before doing ordinances for a deceased person born in the last 110 years, please remember that close relatives may not want the ordinances performed, or they may want to do the ordinances themselves.

You may do ordinances for your own deceased spouse, child, parent, or sibling, but please consider the wishes of other close living relatives, especially a living spouse.

If you are not a spouse, child, parent, or sibling of the deceased, please obtain permission from the closest living relative before doing the ordinances. The closest living relatives are, in this order: an undivorced spouse (the spouse to whom the individual was married when he or she died), an adult child, a parent, or a brother or sister.

IMH, after reading this I believe you may have come to a bit of a moral dilemma, that might be best approached after a discussion with your bishop. You do have her consent, but I still think it's something that requires at least a discussion with her spouse & a lot of prayer.