Gratitude: How would you describe it?

Anddenex

For me, my focus on gratitude is the Savior's atonement; it is my acknowledgment to him in words that I cannot express and sometimes while in prayer, can only express through feelings, thoughts and images. It is more sacred and personal than this, however and only tears express best where words always fail.

I would enjoy others thoughts on how they would describe gratitude. Thank you in advance.

According to my wife and what I learned on my own, gratitude is a big thing in Buddhism. But since they are none committal to the concepts of God and creation, I find their profession of gratitude to be somewhat hollow.

I think gratitude must be directed at something to be of any value; otherwise it is self-serving.

According to my wife and what I learned on my own, gratitude is a big thing in Buddhism. But since they are none committal to the concepts of God and creation, I find their profession of gratitude to be somewhat hollow.

I think gratitude must be directed at something to be of any value; otherwise it is self-serving.

I don't understand why you would think Buddhist gratitude is hollow just because they don't have the same understanding of a Creator as you do. Buddhism is one of the most selfless culture in existence. Nothing about Buddhism is self-serving including their expression of gratitude for being part of a larger tapestry in this thing called life.

Buddhist teachings on gratitude aligns perfectly with Paul's teaching to the Thessalonians - "In everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you.". In Buddhism, they are taught to give thanks for everything - the good and the bad - because they believe that each has a grand purpose that eventually leads to joy.

There's a popular Buddhist story about a young man who found a magnificent white horse. All the villagers exclaimed that he is so fortunate to have found this great horse. The man answered, "I'm grateful for the horse". A few days later he got thrown off his horse and broke his leg. The villagers exclaimed that he is so unfortunate for having this happen to him. The man answered, "I'm grateful for the humility." A few days later an army came and took all the able-bodied men and killed them sparing him because he has a broken leg. The villagers exclaimed how fortunate he was for having a broken leg. And the man simply replied, "I'm grateful for the opportunity to live longer and fulfill my purpose".

I believe in this same principle... that God has a purpose for me and that I consecrate all that I am to Him in selfless gratitude for His love and mercy. If I ever have to lose my leg, I am sure I will go through grief but at the same time remain grateful for whatever God has in store for me that I might fulfill my purpose.

I don't understand why you would think Buddhist gratitude is hollow just because they don't have the same understanding of a Creator as you do. Buddhism is one of the most selfless culture in existence. Nothing about Buddhism is self-serving including their expression of gratitude for being part of a larger tapestry in this thing called life.

Buddhist teachings on gratitude aligns perfectly with Paul's teaching to the Thessalonians - "In everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you.". In Buddhism, they are taught to give thanks for everything - the good and the bad - because they believe that each has a grand purpose that eventually leads to joy.

There's a popular Buddhist story about a young man who found a magnificent white horse. All the villagers exclaimed that he is so fortunate to have found this great horse. The man answered, "I'm grateful for the horse". A few days later he got thrown off his horse and broke his leg. The villagers exclaimed that he is so unfortunate for having this happen to him. The man answered, "I'm grateful for the humility." A few days later an army came and took all the able-bodied men and killed them sparing him because he has a broken leg. The villagers exclaimed how fortunate he was for having a broken leg. And the man simply replied, "I'm grateful for the opportunity to live longer and fulfill my purpose".

I believe in this same principle... that God has a purpose for me and that I consecrate all that I am to Him in selfless gratitude for His love and mercy. If I ever have to lose my leg, I am sure I will go through grief but at the same time remain grateful for whatever God has in store for me that I might fulfill my purpose.

Yes, I was too harsh. Thanks for reminding me of the larger tapestry and for proving my error through scripture. All good things come from Christ, and gratitude in all forms is good. I'll have to apologize to my wife too.

I was fortunate to break my leg the first day of summer, 1969. I was in a body cast in front of the TV to witness the lunar landing. I am sure I would have missed it otherwise.

I was fortunate to break my leg the first day of summer, 1969. I was in a body cast in front of the TV to witness the lunar landing. I am sure I would have missed it otherwise.

A BODY CAST? That's some leg break.

I would enjoy others thoughts on how they would describe gratitude. Thank you in advance.

Thanks for asking Anddenex.

Gratitude is the sincere love and thanks I can humbly share with others, I'm so very grateful for Jesus Christ's gospel for it really makes me whole. I find everything I do and everthing that surrounds me to be a testament of the truth that Heavenly Father knows I can endureth all things and is allowing me to act upon my trials in my own free will. I feel like he's hopeful that I will return to him as I truly desire to be with him, and that I am so very thankful for. I'm thankful for being able to pray to him when I'm angry or in heartache, I truly feel his love. I feel like a power takes over me spiritually that makes me want to do for others what he does for me. Hosanna to God and the Lamb Jesus Christ!

Previously I only asked the question of what people thought gratitude without sharing my thoughts. The purpose is that I wanted to read what others felt it was without having my own words interfere with what a person might say. Now I will share what I believe gratitude is. Before this, however, thank you to those who shared their thoughts on gratitude and how they defined it.

Gratitude, in my minds eyes, is a soul filled with the love of life. Gratitude is not a comparison between the prevailing thoughts of "my life could be worse" or "my life could be better". I am reminded of Elder Eyring's words who said comparisons will either make a person vain or bitter. Thus gratitude is the absence of a comparing mind.

Gratitude is a recognition, a heart felt joy, stemming from an appreciation for what is, and not what ifs. As such a mind or soul filled with gratitude is an absence of a selfish mind, or an absence of entitlement for what a person does now enjoy, or what a person feels they should be enjoying.

Well, I would like to write more, however I have tried a couple more sentences, but due to my weakness in writing, nothing is coming out right.

Thanks again to those who have posted their thoughts.

Gratitude, to me, is becoming aware of how "worthless" I am and how totally dependent I am on the Godhead to exist and exist joyfully. Always giving the glory to God for anything I do that is good and positive. Always being happy and thankful to God for the good things that come my way...

I'd like to share and experience I had today. I'm really bad at balancing the checkbook for my husband and me. This past week I've really made an effort to balance it correctly. I've checked it almost every night or day and have tried to check my own math on the calculator to make sure I was doing it correctly. Wouldn't you know, I blew it again and caused an overdraft in my account. I had just enough money to bring it over the negative; but, I also had scheduled a violin lesson today and I didn't have enough money to cover the lesson in addition to bringing my account to a positive balance. I didn't know what to do as it seemed to late to cancel my lesson. I was concerned and didn't know how I was going to solve this.

Well, my husband and I walked out to the car to take care of the overdraft and to get ready to go to my lesson. As I walked around to my door, I noticed the glinting of the sun against some silver in the gutter right next to my door. As I looked closer, I saw all these coins in the mud. It seemed they were washed there from the heavy rain we've had the last few days. I was shocked to see the money. I called my husband over and he gathered all the coins together from the dirt and debris. He went down the whole gutter to see what other coins there were. When we counted the coins, there was a little more than what the lesson was going to cost.

I believe this was a small miracle wrought on my behalf so that I could pay for that lesson. I believe the Lord knew that I had really tried to balance my checkbook and so blessed me in my best efforts, even though I had failed again to do it correctly. What glory and grace! I also felt the importance of acknowledging His hand in this and thanking Him. What a beautiful experience!

Dove

It is always good to hear the many thoughts people have, especially on this OP on Gratitude.

In my most recent experiences, I just cannot express it. Dove wrote a good starting point I relate to though.

For me, it is an overwhelming feeling overflowing with love for my Savior with a knowledge I don't deserve His blessings, forgiveness, patience, mercy or love.

I think it could be discussed all month long, yet never reveal all the context in which it could relate.

I feel so much gratitude for the effects of gratitude... :rolleyes:

nice topic we did these for my family home evening being grateful is such a blessing and is never a burdon in my life , We talked about all the bad and good in life and challenges and ways of dealing with them in our family the example my daughter gave about Abraham and Issac was pretty good in that after the test He(Abraham gave thanks too God and completed the sacrifice plus with the many observances that written in the old testament/Gospel all turn attention towards God> for myself and my family we don't have much but in terms of material stuff and we don't own anything major but what we do have we are very grateful too God for:)and shall continue too be

Oh! This just reminded me of Corrie Ten Boom's account of her and her sister's experiences at the Nazi camp (from her book The Hiding Place). All the female jews and jewish sympathizers were rounded up and put into these holding cells. The room was so filthy that the platforms that they were expected to sleep on looked like it was moving... it was filled with fleas!

The first night they spent in the room, Corrie's sister gathered all the women to prayer and her entire prayer was nothing but Thanks. And in that prayer, Corrie's sister thanked God for the fleas. It wasn't until days later when they realized that the Nazi soldiers left them pretty much alone - they wouldn't enter the room - because they avoided the fleas. So the women had freedom to put together pages of scripture that they were able to smuggle in their dresses, hold prayer, and do a lot of things that other prisoners weren't able to do.

Yeah, that book is really awesome. It's a great example of how living in gratitude even in the direst of circumstances can lift us up.

Ah... I found an excerpt of the fleas... here goes:

“Fleas!” I cried. “Betsie, the place is swarming with them!…How can we live in such a place!”

“Show us. Show us how.” It was said so matter of factly it took me a second to realize she was praying. More and more the distinction between prayer and the rest of life seemed to be vanishing for Betsie.

“Corrie!” she said excitedly. “He’s given us the answer! Before we asked, as He always does! In the Bible this morning. Where was it? Read that part again!”

I glanced down the long dim aisle to make sure no guard was in sight, then drew the Bible from its pouch.” It was in First Thessalonians,” I said…In the feeble light I turned the pages. “Here it is: ‘Comfort the frightened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all…’” It seemed written expressly to Ravensbruck.

“Go on,” said Betsie. “That wasn’t all.”

“Oh yes: ‘…to one another and to all. Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus–”

“That’s it, Corrie! That’s His answer. ‘Give thanks in all circumstances!’ That’s what we can do. We can start right now to thank God for every single thing about this new barracks!”

I stared at her, then around me at the dark, foul-aired room.

“Such as?” I said.

“Such as being assigned here together.”

I bit my lip. “Oh yes, Lord Jesus!”

“Such as what you’re holding in your hands.”

I looked down at the Bible. “Yes! Thank You, dear Lord, that there was no inspection when we entered here! Thank You for all the women, here in this room, who will meet you in these pages.”…

“Thank You,” Betsie went on serenely, “for the fleas and for–”

The fleas! This was too much. “Betsie there’s no way even God can make me grateful for a flea.”

“‘Give thanks in all circumstances,’” she quoted. “It doesn’t say, ‘in pleasant circumstances.’ Fleas are part of this place where God has put us.”

And so we stood between piers of bunks and gave thanks for fleas. But this time I was sure Betsie was wrong.

And later on:

Her eyes were twinkling.

“You’re looking extraordinarily pleased with yourself,” I told her.

“You know we’ve never understood why we had so much freedom in the big room,” she said. “Well–I’ve found out.”

That afternoon, she said, there’d been confusion in her knitting group about sock sizes and they’d asked the supervisor to come and settle it.

“But she wouldn’t. She wouldn’t step through the door and neither would the guards. And you know why?”

Betsie could not keep the triumph from her voice: “Because of the fleas! That’s what she said, ‘That place is crawling with fleas!’”

My mind rushed back to our first hour in this place. I remembered Betsie’s bowed head, remembered her thanks to God for creatures I could see no use for.

The fleas allowed Corrie and Betsie to avoid being assaulted by guards. But more importantly, it allowed them to do the unthinkable - hold prayer meetings and study a smuggled Bible in the middle of a Nazi concentration camp.

Edited by anatess

Ah... I found an excerpt of the fleas... here goes:

And later on:

The fleas allowed Corrie and Betsie to avoid being assaulted by guards. But more importantly, it allowed them to do the unthinkable - hold prayer meetings and study a smuggled Bible in the middle of a Nazi concentration camp.

I remember Kristi sharing this with me. An amazing story, especially since I am not sure I would have been thankful for fleas.

Amazing and inspiring faith.