New Find!

Bini

So here's another new find.

I love baking and got the Oster 5838 to make homemade bread! This model was purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $60 (currently on sale from $80) and it's fabulously awesome! All you do is add the ingredients into the Oster and adjust the setting - voila! This makes 1lb, 1.5lb and 2lb loafs in 2 hours or in 58 minutes in Express Bake. Yesterday I made three loaves of bread.. Yes - three! One has since been devoured, and as much as I'd like to blame it on my husband, it was all me.. The second one is well on its way to being non-existent as well. Anyway, great breadmaker at an affordable cost. The machine itself is light-weight and easy to store away. I prefer the white from the stainless steel version but if you're into that, they do sell those, however they are up in the $100 range. I seriously can't wait for the holidays because everyone is going to get BREAD. Bini's bread :]

I got a sourdough starter from someone on the forum, I've lovingly nurtured it into robustness and I make bread at least once a week. I don't have a bread machine, though I do have a nice set-up with a plastic caramel corn container with a lid that I use to proof in (I have a 1 gallon ice cream bucket for larger amounts), and I avail myself of a loaf pan. A free form loaf looks neater and a bit more rustic but it tends to result in less useful shapes. Though there are way around that I suppose (drier dough and/or using a couche or a brotform).

I just recently started experimenting (not with the starter, with commercial yeast) with frozen cinnamon rolls. So far the experiment is promising as far as being able to take them out of the freezer, thawing/proofing them in the pan, and baking goes. I did mess up this batches cinnamon sugar 'filling' though. Not enough and I should have added some flour to it to get it to not just flow out into the bottom of the pan. It tempts me to do it with the sourdough, to make frozen loafs or rolls to convenience with that homemade deliciousness.

To actually get on topic, bread machines are handy, particularly when you remember you don't have to bake in them. They often have a 'just dough' setting which allows you to use it for something like cinnamon rolls or if you'd just prefer to bake in a loaf pan for aesthetic reasons.

Edited by Dravin

I did mess up this batches cinnamon sugar 'filling' though. Not enough and I should have added some flour to it to get it to not just flow out into the bottom of the pan.

Is that the trick? My filling always ends up all over the bottom of the pan, and my cinnamon rolls are just a lot of bread. But I've never read any recipe that tells you how to prevent that!

Is that the trick? My filling always ends up all over the bottom of the pan, and my cinnamon rolls are just a lot of bread. But I've never read any recipe that tells you how to prevent that!

My understanding is that yes, it is one of the things that can help with seepage. Tips/tricks that I'm aware of are:

1) Some flour in the filling.

2) Making sure to sufficiently press the sugar mixture into the dough before rolling (I smear on butter, sprinkle cinnamon, and then add brown sugar on top of that).

3) Rolling tightly, if they aren't rolled tightly as they proof and cook the spiral can open up on you.

4) Proofing and baking in an appropriately small pan, if they aren't packed in enough the roll can open on you.

In my haste to get things done (I was doing things in the evening) I failed to do all 4 of those.

On an aside one of these days I'm going to make cinnamon apple rolls. It's as simple as chopping up cooked apple and putting it in the filling. Makes a nice change. Same with adding orange zest. You know when making stuff like this once I've got the basic recipe down my favorite part is the fiddling for new flavors. :D

Edited by Dravin

Sorry Bini, I kind of hijacked your thread with cinnamon roll talk. What kind of bread have you been making so far? Just straight forward white and whole wheat loaves or have you started playing with cheeses, herbs/spices, or fruit yet? Or, considering you haven't owned it long, have started to toy with the idea of doing so?

Edited by Dravin