Is Doctor Who alright for Mormons to Watch?

madhats

However, for those who are Dr. Who fans, have you seen or read about the TV remote screw driver. A company has a built and I think is about to market, or already has marketed, a sonic screw driver which controls your TV and Blue Ray. Yes, I have never been tempted to purchase a $100 remote until now. :)

A recent discussion on the merits of the sonic screwdriver.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're basing it not on inappropriate scenes or humor but rather the fact that there is someone who's lifestyle is contrary to Church standards then that eliminates all shows with villains in it. Something as innocuous as Lion King has issues in the character of Scar.

For that matter, Suits on the Loose has a couple of not-so-wholesome characters. :rolleyes:

I really like Dr. Who, but I'm surprised it's counted as a family show. Among other things, the weeping angels are not exactly family fun. I can't even watch those ones. Some of the episodes are more horror movie than family fun.

That magazine cover would have been infinitely better with David Tennant. :)

Eowyn,

I think BBC viewed it originally as a kids show, it started off with a grandfrather figure as the doctor and his grandaughter, doing visits to historical events. The modern version is quit a deal upmarket from the original episodes. I grew up on the original series especially the series with Tom Baker as the Doctor, with Romana and K-9.

Edited by AnthonyB

From what i was reading they play a part in the new season and the mid season departure of Amy and Rory...

Oooo, interesting! Though I'm bummed that Amy's leaving already (yes, I know it's been two full seasons by now). She's good for the Doctor -- she keeps him honest.

Torchwood, while a spinoff of Doctor Who, is marketed to adults specifically, not to families.

I realize that, however the one scene went a bit too far - yes it was a cable premium channel - that was free for Dish customers at that time

Oooo, interesting! Though I'm bummed that Amy's leaving already (yes, I know it's been two full seasons by now). She's good for the Doctor -- she keeps him honest.

the new companion looks to be interesting, not sure what i think about her and might just wait til i get a full understanding of her. she almost look like a higher class young lady so it could be interesting.

the new companion looks to be interesting, not sure what i think about her and might just wait til i get a full understanding of her. she almost look like a higher class young lady so it could be interesting.

I was thinking that, since there's apparently a tie-in with the weeping angels, that they could have Sally Sparrow be the new companion. This is what -- the third season for Matt Smith? We're probably due for a new doctor at the end of this season, anyway, right?

I was thinking that, since there's apparently a tie-in with the weeping angels, that they could have Sally Sparrow be the new companion. This is what -- the third season for Matt Smith? We're probably due for a new doctor at the end of this season, anyway, right?

Yes this is smith's last season which also brings a question to mind for some fans. the doctor is limited to 13 regenerations(though this has been played with in the case of the master) so does this show have a limit with only two more incarnations left? From what i've seen of the girl i don't think she's ever had a place on the show before.

Pictures & Photos of Jenna-Louise Coleman - IMDb

for the teaser pic

It started as an Old guy in a 'magic' box flying around time and space teaching his granddaughter history and science.

Now it an Old guy in a 'magic' box flying around time and space teaching the power hungry that there are limits to much death and destruction they can cause, before someone more powerful then them comes and pulls the carpet out from under them and stops them.

The first was family friendly for all ages... The second can be.. but they touch on deeper and some times darker themes, and can be scary. Thus parents need to use judgement on if their kids are ready for it.

I realize that, however the one scene went a bit too far - yes it was a cable premium channel - that was free for Dish customers at that time

You believe that a subscribed programming such as Starz, HBO, Showtime should alter their viewing schedule and edit their shows when they offer free weekends? That's not the purpose of free weekends. It's to get people to watch the shows and then like them enough to subscribe.

Just because HBO offers me a free weekend doesn't mean I don't have to be careful what I choose to watch.

You believe that a subscribed programming such as Starz, HBO, Showtime should alter their viewing schedule and edit their shows when they offer free weekends? That's not the purpose of free weekends. It's to get people to watch the shows and then like them enough to subscribe.

Just because HBO offers me a free weekend doesn't mean I don't have to be careful what I choose to watch.

No, however the difference between Torchwood the Series, and Torchwood the Special was a bit much, the story line itself was great, there was no reason for the scene in question, it did nothing to advance the story line at all, thus it was in there only as a gratuitous sex scene put in for some supposed value of the writers or director.

No, however the difference between Torchwood the Series, and Torchwood the Special was a bit much, the story line itself was great, there was no reason for the scene in question, it did nothing to advance the story line at all, thus it was in there only as a gratuitous sex scene put in for some supposed value of the writers or director.

Welcome to Hollywood movies and TV shows.

However, for those who are Dr. Who fans, have you seen or read about the TV remote screw driver. A company has a built and I think is about to market, or already has marketed, a sonic screw driver which controls your TV and Blue Ray. Yes, I have never been tempted to purchase a $100 remote until now. :)

XE: (GBP/USD) British Pound to US Dollar Rate

Talk about old, when we got our first tv, no one wanted the church to know .

I wondered why cause I Love Lucy and December Bride, Lone Ranger really entertained me.

After the sixties and seventies taught me about living together with Three's Company, ect.

Little helpful ways of urging my thinking along to a more 'modern' world view.

Now I hear even non Christians say," there is nothing worth watching on it".

Guess RFD and the weather channel and news is why we now pay, for what once was free. :^)

Enjoyed Sponge Bob, then he was looked upon as questionable. I didn't see it, guess it went over my head. Oh well.

I have never seen anything wrong with Dr. Who. I actually just barely got done watching season 5 of the new series. To everything that everyone else has said:

1) I liked Sally Sparrow, I would love it if she were the new companion, but we all know that's not happenening

2) David Tennant needs to come back. Work some Dr. Who magic for us David Tennant fans!

3) I actually wish Martha would show up again. She was the the best companion, in my opinion.

4) Should we start a Dr. Who thread? Seriously, if there are this many fans on here, we could have some pretty good discussions.