I am marrying my non-member friends at their wedding

Or at least I plan to. How do I go about doing this?

Brief background- my friends are not LDS, nor are they very religious but they see me as the only person they know who does believe in God. They've asked me to perform their marriage and I hear it's very simple to get reverend or minister status. In fact, there are lots of how-to guides online on how to become someone official who can officiate.

So my research- at LDS weddings that are non-temple weddings, but still ceremonies, the bishop or higher authority can officiate and has legal authority to wed people.

Now my question- I'm not a bishop so I can't currently marry anyone with any legal power. The purpose of LDS church weddings is to inspire people to prepare to eventually be sealed in the temple but this is something my friends can't do while not being members so I don't think I need to be a bishop. I don't believe becoming a registered minister of another non-denominational christian church for the sake of legal binding power an act of apostasy, but it's a confusing situation I'd like to hear second opinions about.

Is anyone on this board LDS and a reverend or minister?

Utah State Courts:

Who May Solemnize a Marriage

A minister, rabbi, priest, mayor, judge, county clerk, Native American spiritual adviser, the Governor, mayors, court commissioners and judges, as well as particular members of the legislature may perform wedding ceremonies. Two witnesses over 18 must also be present at the wedding ceremony.

The person who solemnizes the marriage must sign a certificate of marriage and then files the certificate and the marriage license with the county clerk who issued the license.

Well, I AM a priest in the church already- does anyone have the next steps?

I am fairly sure that a bishop in the LDS church is the only one by church authority that can perform a marrage. To be a reverend or a minister and be LDS is not recommended, since by being a minister or a reverend you would be part of a different religious organization (even if you make up your own). This is covered in the temple questions.

By becoming such, it could be grounds for disfellowship, but I doubt it is. At the very least it would jeopardize your temple recommend. I would be careful with this one.

Utah State Courts:

Who May Solemnize a Marriage

A minister, rabbi, priest, mayor, judge, county clerk, Native American spiritual adviser, the Governor, mayors, court commissioners and judges, as well as particular members of the legislature may perform wedding ceremonies. Two witnesses over 18 must also be present at the wedding ceremony.

The person who solemnizes the marriage must sign a certificate of marriage and then files the certificate and the marriage license with the county clerk who issued the license.

Well, I AM a priest in the church already- does anyone have the next steps?

This is right. You basically get ordained by one of the above religious titles and then you submit your certification/ordination with the county clerk. So anyone can do it but yes, it appears there are some channels to go through, and not just simply applying for a license to wed people.

I am fairly sure that a bishop in the LDS church is the only one by church authority that can perform a marrage. To be a reverend or a minister and be LDS is not recommended, since by being a minister or a reverend you would be part of a different religious organization (even if you make up your own). This is covered in the temple questions.

By becoming such, it could be grounds for disfellowship, but I doubt it is. At the very least it would jeopardize your temple recommend. I would be careful with this one.

Actually, thinking about it more. There are probably others with callings, such as GA's or temple workers that could perform it. But nothing less than a bishop. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I'm just curious but is it acceptable for a judge that is LDS to perform marriages?

Or at least I plan to. How do I go about doing this?

Brief background- my friends are not LDS, nor are they very religious but they see me as the only person they know who does believe in God. They've asked me to perform their marriage and I hear it's very simple to get reverend or minister status. In fact, there are lots of how-to guides online on how to become someone official who can officiate.

So my research- at LDS weddings that are non-temple weddings, but still ceremonies, the bishop or higher authority can officiate and has legal authority to wed people.

Now my question- I'm not a bishop so I can't currently marry anyone with any legal power. The purpose of LDS church weddings is to inspire people to prepare to eventually be sealed in the temple but this is something my friends can't do while not being members so I don't think I need to be a bishop. I don't believe becoming a registered minister of another non-denominational christian church for the sake of legal binding power an act of apostasy, but it's a confusing situation I'd like to hear second opinions about.

Is anyone on this board LDS and a reverend or minister?

My missionary son, barely 20 years old, has been asked to officiate at the wedding of some soon-to-be-members. This is in Colorado, and I assume it's legal.

We just recently went through this and the church discourages anyone from performing marriages, within the church or without, unless it is performed by the presiding bishop of the area. When non-members are involved it is only allowed when a presiding bishop is granted permission by the first presidency.

My denomination allows me to officiate weddings in which neither is Christian, or when both are. However, in those few instances when I have been asked to do so I always insist that I will offer a Christian ceremony. The couples have always agreed.

In your case, can you really be ordained in a non-LDS faith tradition in good conscience? Also, you would not be offering an LDS ceremony, so what would you be communicating? All I can suggest is that you pray hard before proceeding.

My missionary son, barely 20 years old, has been asked to officiate at the wedding of some soon-to-be-members. This is in Colorado, and I assume it's legal.

I didn't think missionaries were allowed to do that. Did he have to get permission from the mission president?

Now I realize I might be wrong, however logically it would not be okay to be ordained in another church. Wouldn't that be like being baptized in another church. Isn't that kinda like mocking the authority of our beliefs?

To me, and maybe only to me, it's like saying "okay this other church will let me drink, and I want to go to my friend's wedding and drink, so I will join that church fr a little while then go back to mine." I know that is a totally different example, but to me it's the same.....

Now I realize I might be wrong, however logically it would not be okay to be ordained in another church. Wouldn't that be like being baptized in another church. Isn't that kinda like mocking the authority of our beliefs?

To me, and maybe only to me, it's like saying "okay this other church will let me drink, and I want to go to my friend's wedding and drink, so I will join that church fr a little while then go back to mine." I know that is a totally different example, but to me it's the same.....

I think what was kind-of-sort-of said in previous posts, was that a member (I'm assuming male only) may go through certain channels within the LDS church to be ordained and given the ability to wed people. So he wouldn't have to go to another church..

I think what was kind-of-sort-of said in previous posts, was that a member (I'm assuming male only) may go through certain channels within the LDS church to be ordained and given the ability to wed people. So he wouldn't have to go to another church..

Sorry, I didn't read all the replies, just gave my first gut reaction.

Wouldn't the state he is in have to license him to do this?

When our Branch President married Hubby and I, he not only had the authority of the LDS Church he also was licensed by the County of _____________, in the state of Oregon.

No one else in the Church, excepting my Stake President, could marry us. Any one at the Courthouse who was licensed could have. The Justice of The Peace in my city could have.

Wouldn't the state he is in have to license him to do this?

When our Branch President married Hubby and I, he not only had the authority of the LDS Church he also was licensed by the County of _____________, in the state of Oregon.

No one else in the Church, excepting my Stake President, could marry us. Any one at the Courthouse who was licensed could have. The Justice of The Peace in my city could have.

Procedures may have slight variances depending on state. But from what I'm reading online, you become ordained via your church and then send the certification/ordination into the County Clerk office, where you will be given a license to wed people. At least, this is one way.

Or you can just do this:

1.) Have the couple apply for a marriage license. Depending on the State, you may have to wait a week or more to qualify for marriage.

2.) When qualification is achieved, go back to the courthouse to get the judge to legally wed the couple. This is not really a ceremony. I mean, in my city, you have to pay extra money to actually get the ceremonial version. All it is, is a contract signing - where the husband and wife pledge before 2 witnesses (which can be anybody present at the courthouse at the time) to fulfill the contract of marriage.

3.) Hold the ceremony/party officiated by anybody who doesn't need to have the legal authority to marry anybody. You can do this party before or after the legalities.

Then all you really are doing is giving your blessing for a happy and peaceful union without invoking the power and authority of the priesthood over marriage.

Or you can just do this:

1.) Have the couple apply for a marriage license. Depending on the State, you may have to wait a week or more to qualify for marriage.

2.) When qualification is achieved, go back to the courthouse to get the judge to legally wed the couple. This is not really a ceremony. I mean, in my city, you have to pay extra money to actually get the ceremonial version. All it is, is a contract signing - where the husband and wife pledge before 2 witnesses (which can be anybody present at the courthouse at the time) to fulfill the contract of marriage.

3.) Hold the ceremony/party officiated by anybody who doesn't need to have the legal authority to marry anybody. You can do this party before or after the legalities.

Then all you really are doing is giving your blessing for a happy and peaceful union without invoking the power and authority of the priesthood over marriage.

I thought about this, and logistically it may be easiest

To me, it seems to come down to:

Religious Authority: Must be a Bishop or higher in the LDS church.

Professional Authority (such as a judge): If it is part of your profession that is not a part of another religious organization.

While it would not be illegal to be granted a license to marry others, it may not be "religiously ethical" to do so. (How's THAT for a new term?)