If a college student doesn't know where to get basic food and hygiene supplies...

Backroads

It's your basic gadget infomercial type marketing .

1) Show someone doing a simple everyday task as if it is some Herculean task. Don't forget to show them failing spectacularly several times. It's not just difficult, it's nigh impossible.

2) Show how your product is so simple and easy and makes it so you don't have to deal with the trail of doing the previously demonstrated task the 'old way'. Bonus points if you can show children or old people doing it.

A lot of marketing relies on the basic concept of of, "Hey, our product lets you do things easier/better/faster/cheaper." It's just gadget infomercials seem to so poorly execute in their effort to highlight usefulness that it goes into eye rolling territory.

Edited by Dravin

Children need to learn to be self sufficient. In my life I've been criticized for "making" my kids cook or clean or ride the bus. But, not one of them doesn't know how to find food and even cook it. My boys even make bread from scratch.

Now my daughter...well, she won't starve but she doesn't make bread and she has the honor of being the only person we know who can burn water.

The weird thing? OH MY HECK! No wonder we have adults who can't take care of themselves and think Mom can't possibly love them if she doesn't take care of them forever wherever they are. GRRRRRR

Edited by applepansy

$784 a month on discretionary purchases? What college student has that kind of money? Even with a job (and adjusting for inflation), I didn't have money like that as an undergrad.

I'm almost 50 and work as a professional, and I don't have anything close to that kind of money. Sounds like entitlement thinking run amok.

Just as a side note on that infograph. I feel like (at least at BYU-Idaho) college students care way more about there oral hygiene. I'm obessed with having clean teeth and I love having my teeth cleaned. My roommates and most everyone I knew at school always used mouth wash, flossing, crestwhite strips ect. Kinda of a surprising statistic to me.

$784 a month on discretionary purchases? What college student has that kind of money? Even with a job (and adjusting for inflation), I didn't have money like that as an undergrad.

My parents sent me $25 every two weeks and that had to buy food and everything else I needed.