Family Ward or YSA?

grownfromaseedwithin

I am slowly making my way back into the Church after a year and a half of inactivity. I was recently married in the beginning of July, but my husband is a non-member. When I met him I had been inactive for a few months. Now that I want to go back to Church I would really like to make some friends and have a community, but my husband would not be attending church with me. So I was wondering if it would be better for me to be in a YSA ward with other young people (I am 23) or if I am considered a family now that I'm married? I'm a convert so I never really learned about the difference about this as I was baptized in 2010. I've only ever been in a YSA Ward.

Also is it hard to make friends with people in the wards if you're already married? Especially viewing my situation, an inactive member married to a non-member. Just need some input because I'm not sure where to start to get back.

Exactly.

The difference between YSA and family wards is not that big after all. You'll be surprised how many young married couples of your age will be in your family ward...and more than half of the LDS world population resides in areas without a YSA ward nearby. I'm one of two active YSAs in my ward who are currently neither engaged nor on Missions...and I still don't feel bad about it. :) The Gospel is the same everywhere!

The ward I'm attending has plenty of young childless couples and even-gasp-some people in the same situation as you, attending church despite a non-member/inactive spouse. The trick is speaking up and getting involved in the activities.

Im recently married, just a year younger than you, and was sketchy about a family ward... So many older and wiser people.. its hard to relate with alot of them because theyre all in different stages in life than you are.

Then i met a young couple our age, and they looked at us like dogs looked at raw meat LOL. We became instant friends because we were the only young couples who were active, and pretty much hang out after work at least 3 times a week.

family ward are awesome. Id hate to be condesending to singles wards, but my experience AND MINE ONLY, im not saying all, but mine was the kids tend to be clicky. If they didnt know me from school, there was no hand shake or exchange of names, it was just I sat there with my three roommates and that was it lol.

Thats just me though, there are plently of good singles wards out there i would hope

Im recently married, just a year younger than you, and was sketchy about a family ward... So many older and wiser people.. its hard to relate with alot of them because theyre all in different stages in life than you are.

Then i met a young couple our age, and they looked at us like dogs looked at raw meat LOL. We became instant friends because we were the only young couples who were active, and pretty much hang out after work at least 3 times a week.

family ward are awesome. Id hate to be condesending to singles wards, but my experience AND MINE ONLY, im not saying all, but mine was the kids tend to be clicky. If they didnt know me from school, there was no hand shake or exchange of names, it was just I sat there with my three roommates and that was it lol.

Thats just me though, there are plently of good singles wards out there i would hope

Yeah I have found that if you don't hit it off right coming into a singles ward it's hard to make friends. Thankfully when they did missionary meetings with me I met a girl who would become my best friend and she was the most popular and outgoing member in the ward which meant she had a LOT of connections. It made it so much easier for me to blend in. Unfortunately I met these people at college and I don't live in the city anymore.

It is just a bit scary going into a family ward because I have never been. Plus my husband may or may not come with me on occasion and I was just concerned about how I'd fit in. I can be very social when I get to know people, but sort of awkward when meeting people. I also have it on my shoulders that I left the Church and now I'm back. I'm just hoping people won't judge for marrying a non-member and leaving the Church to begin with etc.

But thank you for easing my tension some. I've already been a little stressed about talking to the Bishop and going in general. This Sunday will be the first Sunday in 18months that I have been. It's scary, but I know that this is what Heavenly Father wants me to do. :]