How/When did you figure out the LDS church was true?

Chrissy3818

I am having a little trouble with the LDS church and I need help on what you guys did to gain a testimony. I read the Book of Mormon daily, Pray every night and sometimes in the afternoon. I go to church almost every Sunday.

I haven't had a testimony of the church for a little over a year now. I know God exists a long with Jesus Christ and The Holy Ghost. I've been a member my whole life.

I am confused about why the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible and teachings earlier in the day. Or why the church is becoming more and more strict. By this I mean when my grandma through my moms childhood they were allowed to drink wine as long as they didn't get drunk, but now were not allowed to at all.

I am trying to figure things out but it's becoming difficult and I just don't know any more. I feel the holy spirit during most testimony meetings and at the temple, but I have not found my testimony of the church so I don't even know it's true.

When I was 12-15 I wanted to get married in the temple but since 16+ I don't. I think that even though were not sealed in the temple we can still be with those we love, God wouldn't keep us from those we love. He's not heartless.

How do you feel the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible? Also in regards to the church becoming more strict in your opinion, do you believe in revelation from our Prophets?

I am having a little trouble with the LDS church and I need help on what you guys did to gain a testimony. I read the Book of Mormon daily, Pray every night and sometimes in the afternoon. I go to church almost every Sunday.

I haven't had a testimony of the church for a little over a year now. I know God exists a long with Jesus Christ and The Holy Ghost. I've been a member my whole life.

I am confused about why the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible and teachings earlier in the day.

It doesn't. If you have concerns about specific verses, you might want to bring them up here so people can give you their explanations. I have found many more contradictions within the Bible than between the Bible and the Book of Mormon.

Or why the church is becoming more and more strict. By this I mean when my grandma through my moms childhood they were allowed to drink wine as long as they didn't get drunk, but now were not allowed to at all.

I disagree that the Church is "becoming more strict". But even if it were, what of it? That's a blessing to us. Where much is given, much is required. Since sin inevitably leads to unhappiness, a Church that expects more of its members is more likely to have happy members.

When I was 12-15 I wanted to get married in the temple but since 16+ I don't. I think that even though were not sealed in the temple we can still be with those we love, God wouldn't keep us from those we love. He's not heartless.

You are right. God would not keep us from our loved ones. We would keep ourselves from them.

If we refuse to get sealed to those we love, how much do we love them? Not enough to get sealed to them, apparently.

Please do not blame God for the choices that you or others make.

For my testimony, I don't look back at one "Ah-ha!" moment where I knew the Church was true. I work backwards. I look at the relationship I feel I have with Christ, and consider all the ways the Church's teachings, writings, and programs have fostered that relationship.

Or why the church is becoming more and more strict. By this I mean when my grandma through my moms childhood they were allowed to drink wine as long as they didn't get drunk, but now were not allowed to at all.

I don't think the Church's position has really changed on this; it may simply be an evolution in the level of observance within your own family culture. The only Church standard I can think of having gotten stricter in the last fifty years, is perhaps the Church's discouraging young women to wear clothing that bares their shoulders - my Mom tells me sleeveless dresses were a pretty common sight at church back in the fifties and sixties. Of course, the garment covers the shoulders--and has ever since the 1800s--so once you go through the temple, that becomes a nonissue anyways. ;)

I think that even though were not sealed in the temple we can still be with those we love, God wouldn't keep us from those we love. He's not heartless.

I'm a little unorthodox in this regard, but I actually agree with you on this. I do not think the temple sealing involves promises of physical proximity. I think it sets up relationships and an eternal chain through which blessings and knowledge can flow from generation to generation as a legitimate inheritances stretching back to Adam, and thence to Christ.

My point is: no one's excommunicated me yet for feeling like you do on this doctrine; and it doesn't have to be a wedge issue between you and the Church.

Stick with what you know. Study and pray over the rest.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I see a fib in your writing. The Church is less strict than it was in generations past. If your mother and grandmother were allowed to drink a little wine, it wasn't in the LDS Church, which has had a ban on it since the 1850s.

BTW, God doesn't keep us from the ones we love, WE keep ourselves from the ones we love. WE are the ones that become heartless, because WE refuse to repent, WE refuse to believe, WE refuse to accept the atonement on Christ's terms, WE refuse to become holy enough to dwell in God's presence. The gift of grace is waiting for anyone who will accept it on God's terms. But it must be on God's terms, otherwise we really are not accepting the gift, but looking the gift horse in the mouth.

The Church is not as strict as it once was. A generation or two ago, adultery was an automatic excommunication. Now I sit on councils where former bishops who have committed adultery may not receive such strict discipline.

In our teaching, we focus much more on faith and grace than before.

So, I think someone is telling stories here, especially regarding wine drinking, which is truly a baloney sandwich if I ever saw one.

I see a fib in your writing. The Church is less strict than it was in generations past. If your mother and grandmother were allowed to drink a little wine, it wasn't in the LDS Church, which has had a ban on it since the 1850s.

So, I think someone is telling stories here, especially regarding wine drinking, which is truly a baloney sandwich if I ever saw one.

Ram, I don't think stories of drinking wine are baloney at all. B.H. Roberts was an alcoholic, and was not removed from his calling, but was even sent to California for a little convalescing.

Not only that, but the WoW hasn't been on the temple recommend question list for more than 70 or 80 or so years. AND it's answered today on the 'honor' system as well. Who really knows but the person themselves?

So I don't see the bologna.

HiJolly

Ram, I don't think stories of drinking wine are baloney at all. B.H. Roberts was an alcoholic, and was not removed from his calling, but was even sent to California for a little convalescing.

Not only that, but the WoW hasn't been on the temple recommend question list for more than 70 or 80 or so years. AND it's answered today on the 'honor' system as well. Who really knows but the person themselves?

So I don't see the bologna.

I know that my grandparents went to the temple while drinking coffee. That was in the 1980s, and I believe my grandpa was a temple worker into the mid-90s. Toward the end of their lives, they drank Sanka (decaf). Not sure about earlier. I have no first-hand knowledge about wine drinking, but based on my grandparents' case, I would not be surprised to find out that occasional wine-drinking was tolerated, or perhaps "winked at", even as late as the mid-20th century.

Honestly reading this OP, you've explained that you base your testimony from others especially in your own home instead of building your testimony in Heavenly Father.

Cecil O. Samuelson Jr. of the Seventy quotes:

The fundamental of gaining and retaining a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ are straightforward, clear and within the capacity of every person.

I was able to gain a testimony at a very early age, my testimony wasn't quite clear but I was going through trials and errors. I thought I was my own solution and that I could find happiness on my own. I grew up going to church and sometimes I didn't want to but the fact that I had to because I was still under others cares built a bunch of negative emotions. The weird thing is when I went to sunday school class and was thinking I could stay mad throughout the whole class, I ended up forgetting what I was mad about because of a lesson that was being taught that lightened my soul from anguish.

Even to this day I sometimes feel the negative emotions or influence that I rationalize not to go to church because I do not have the spirit. Thankfully for this gospel I am able to understand that this is who Jesus Christ is for, we all hurt, anger, contend amongst each other. Who on earth is the best mediator of all these things? Jesus Christ. My testimony is more stronger now than it was before, I haven't followed line upon line in my younger years what I was being taught in young women's. I can attest that accountability plays a superior role in my life, for I know that everything I do that may not be right I should acknowledge and reprove. No one else can change the problems in our lives but ourselves, without understanding Jesus Christ atonement we will not know how to change.

When one has a testimony in Jesus Christ one will know that they may be broken but with the foundation being based on Jesus Christ they can be rebuilt stronger and wiser.

Edited by Sicily510

"For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little"

and

"For of him unto whom much is given much is required"

I was 17, the summer of my 18th birthday. I weighed the thoughts of my parents, my teachers, and Christian friends who told me I was going to hell because I was a member of the LDS faith (Even though I lived a more Christian life than they did morally and physically).

However, the first week on my mission I read a verse in the Doctrine & Covenants which specified truth is witnessed by a "burning in the bosom" (at least that is the way I interpreted it back then). I heard Branch Presidents, and other teachers express this overwhelming feeling regarding their witness. In light of this verse and these testimonies I assumed I did not have a testimony, I only thought I did.

For two months I fasted twice a week, in hopes the Lord would deliver this witness as he had done with others. I had decided, if I didn't receive an answer I would go home from my mission (It wasn't honest for me to bear witness of something I did not know). The last time I prayed and fasted, I didn't receive a "burning in the bosom"; I received a swift rebuke from our Heavenly Father. In short, the Lord through his still small voice said to me, "Andrew, stop asking me what you already know. Build upon what you already know."

I recognized from this answer, the Lord had already provided me His witness back when I was 17, the summer of my 18th birthday. I recognized, I had confused myself, because I expected this amazing feeling to witness to my heart. As a result, I became past feeling, because I demanded a witness from the Lord, which wasn't my place to do so.

I have, since that loving rebuke, did as I was told --- I have built upon the testimony I had received. As a result of my service, my prayers, and fasting I have been provided other witnesses which have confirmed and verified the answer I received at 17.

This statement confuses me. If you had a testimony, how did you loose it? I always find items I have lost under couch cushions. ;) In all seriousness, if you had a testimony, why are you choosing to forsake it?

I understand the second sentence, because I also knew that God was real, Jesus was His son, and the Holy Ghost was a testator, but did not know myself if Joseph Smith was a Prophet.

I am reminded of a verse in scripture, Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 33: 11:

10 And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and bbelieve in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall cbelieve in Christ ye will believe in these dwords, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.

11 And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness.

If you believe in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, then you will believe in these words also. In light of these verses, continue to read, continue to pray, and continue to ponder the words in the scriptures.

I am confused about why the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible and teachings earlier in the day. Or why the church is becoming more and more strict. By this I mean when my grandma through my moms childhood they were allowed to drink wine as long as they didn't get drunk, but now were not allowed to at all.

I am trying to figure things out but it's becoming difficult and I just don't know any more. I feel the holy spirit during most testimony meetings and at the temple, but I have not found my testimony of the church so I don't even know it's true.

The Book of Mormon compliments the Bible, however unfortunately we live in a day where others have tried to paint the Book of Mormon as a contradiction.

Yes, there are family members which will still have family members in a kingdom of glory. There could be whole families in the Telestial and Terrestial kingdoms, however if you want to obtain the highest degree of glory, and within the highest degree of glory, the highest tier, then you will need to choose to be sealed.

As others have said, God does not divide or separate His children, the choices and decisions of His children is what ultimately divides or separates us. God is definitely not heartless; He definitely is bound by His words and those who keep their covenants obtain his promise.

I enjoy this scripture in this case, D&C 130: 20-21:

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Thus, if you want specific blessing from God, a person must obey the law which provides this blessing.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.

P.S.

I am sorry for the longer post. I am not as adept as others in short to the point statements. Not a strength of mine.

there is only one way to gain a testimony for yourself.

this medium is known as prayer.

through my years in youth, my testimony, or what i thought i knew, was borrowed light. i thought nothing of it until i reached the end of my time in young mens, about 17 years old where i realized i couldn't go on anymore not having a true testimony of my own.

i was always a skeptic of prayer and probably couldn't even count on my fingers how many times i had honest heartfelt personal prayers throughout my time in young mens. so i finally decided to give prayer a real go based on the notion 'what have i got to lose'?

the truth never deviates. and it never hides. but if you want the truth, you must seek for it. so i applied everything i had learnt in youth and decided to indulge myself in prayer. for the first time in my life i had finally understood what it meant to feel the spirit. what it meant to feel gods love. i wont go in to details as it is a little personal but it was one of the strongest feelings of absolute peace i have ever had in my life. during these few weeks of prayer where i poured my feelings out to to my heavenly father, everything began to make sense. i finally knew my purpose. i had received personal revelation by the power of the holy ghost that this indeed was the one true church of christ on the earth today.

now, i challenge you to do as it says in Moroni 10:4 - ask your Eternal Father with a sincere heart and real intent if what you have been taught all your life is true. i promise in doing this you will receive a personal and independent witness of these everlasting truths.

God speed.

Edited by daboosh

Humm, every time I have renewed my temple recommend, the Word of Wisdom obedience was one of the SET questions asked, and I have had one continuously since my marriage in 1969.

--- I am sad if any

who supposedly should know better, if they were temple workers

(there being a difference between workers and patrons)

but ANY who go into the temple

(even repair men are chosen from those who are temple holders!)

were not obeying or being honest about their actions to get a recommend.

--- I do not think that the church is getting more strict, though I DO appreciate that it is getting more explicit like in the "For the Strength of Youth", it spells out the guidelines way more clearly than they were explained to me as a young teenager and I think that is much more helpful! :)

--- It isn't just reading scriptures and attending church that brings a testimony,

it is OBEYING the commandments, and seeking with your heart in sincere prayer with being willing to ACT on confirmation of the testimony of its truth. Study helps, and church too and they are part of the commandments, but it usually takes work too. "faith without work is dead" the apostle James in the bible tells us :)

The Candle of the Lord - Ensign Jan. 1983 - ensign

Where to Start

It is not unusual to have a missionary say, “How can I bear testimony until I get one? How can I testify that God lives, that Jesus is the Christ, and that the gospel is true? If I do not have such a testimony, would that not be dishonest?”

Oh, if I could teach you this one principle. A testimony is to be found in the bearing of it! Somewhere in your quest for spiritual knowledge, there is that “leap of faith,” as the philosophers call it. It is the moment when you have gone to the edge of the light and stepped into the darkness to discover that the way is lighted ahead for just a footstep or two. “The spirit of man,” is as the scripture says, indeed “is the candle of the Lord.” (Prov. 20:27.)

It is one thing to receive a witness from what you have read or what another has said; and that is a necessary beginning. It is quite another to have the Spirit confirm to you in your bosom that what you have testified is true. Can you not see that it will be supplied as you share it? As you give that which you have, there is a replacement, with increase!

The prophet Ether “did prophecy great and marvelous things unto the people, which they did not believe, because they saw them not.

“And now, I, Moroni, … would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.” (Ether 12:5–6.)

To speak out is the test of your faith.

I found this true for myself and list it as simply a suggestion as a way to help yourself 'test' your faith.

When I was 8, I was directly involved in a dramatic experience that convinced me (at this young age) of two things - first that we are involved in this life with a desperate struggle between good and evil. Second that there is a G-d that is good that is helping us.

At the age of 13 I was involved in with reading the Book of Mormon for my first time. Although I found many answers - both to religious and scientific questions I was seeking at the time; I did not feel that such answers granted for me an actual testimony of knowledge as to the divine truthfulness concerning the Book of Mormon or singular truthfulness of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As a youth born in an LDS home I was troubled by the testimonies where all that were expressing testimonies concerning the Book of Mormon and the Church specifically expressed “Knowledge” - that they knew these things to be true. I was also deeply troubled by seeming contradictions between science and religion.

One night during the month of April I was involved in reading, prayer and meditation (deep thought) concerning my questions and I was again presented with the desperate struggle between good and evil but this time experiencing far more than I previously understood as possible. I emerged from this experience with a renewed understanding that there is a G-d that is good helping us. I also emerged without sure knowledge concerning the Book of Mormon and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints but that these were elements that G-d intended me to be very intimately involved in going forward - especially in understanding and studying scientific principles.

This experience was not the last of such experiences - of which there have not been just a few and each addition seeming to highlight different “things” to help me in my understandings. I have also discovered that during such holy spiritual experience (whenever being influenced by the Holy Ghost (spirit) that I seemed to have knowledge of the truth (including of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) but later to discover that such absolute knowledge seems to wane should the spirit leave me - causing me to realize that such “knowledge” did not belong to me but to that force exterior to me influencing me.

I have also discovered that this good influence that I believe to be of G-d will only remain with me as I stay loyal and faithful to covenants I have made and personal commitments I strive to keep. That there is a direct correlation to what I delight to entertain and the influences and understanding of things that I am given.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Well, for starters, you just stated that you feel the spirit during testimony meeting. During testimony meeting, people are testifying of the truth of the church. If youre feeling the spirit during that time, that means the spirit is manifesting that what they are testifying of is true. That would be a great way to start.

Also, No one else has temples like ours. So if you feel the spirit there too, maybe thats something else you can base on.

PLEASE let me know what scriptures youre having a hard time with. I waited 8 months before i went on a mission because i felt this exact feeling and studied it all out and found all my answers. Remember, Gods not going to just drop a testimony on you from the sky. If you want one, show him you want one. Put effort into finding answers for yourself by study, and he will ENDOW your efforts, not replace them

Why would you not want to be married in the temple you feel the spirit at? Also, Vort had the best and most direct answer for this here. God would never sever you from your family, he gave you that choice.

Just make sure you start each quote block with

and end it with [/quote ] (without the extra space I included before each closing bracket). If you want to quote someone specific, include an equals sign and the name of the person you're quoting.

For example, if I want to quote Mr. Rule Eighterson, I could put:

I won the Nobel Peace Prize![/quote ]

(again, without the extra space before the final bracket) and it would look like this:

I won the Nobel Peace Prize!

And the word in brackets (e.g. QUOTE) does not have to be in all CAPITALS. Lower-case works just fine.

Edited by Dravin

Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA in reply to this and I read a few of them on and off.

Okay, so maybe I do have a testimony, I am just struggling with it because my mom and brother both went from believing to no t believing at all. SO they no longer go to church.

I've been going to church a lone for the past four - six months (since early March), but I always took my younger brother with me, because me mom said he needs to grow up in the church, because kids who do grow up strong and don't have as many issues as normal children do.

SO me being the only one in my immediate family (besides my younger brother) going to church I think has but a stress on my relationship with the church. The rest of my family (on my mothers side are LDS).

Yes, I get these indescribable feelings in the temple (it's kind of like that feeling where you get before your about to cry, but not about something bad or sad). And I snuck down to the girls camp testimony meeting last week and I felt it again and also while reading a few of these posts. (sometimes during church songs and sometime (but not to often) during sacrament and church meetings).

I am not sure why I no longer have the urge to get married in the temple anymore, I don't feel like its for me in someways.

I feel that how could any other church come as close to the truth as the LDS church (I say close because no church is perfect because its run by humans, but the closest church to the truth will be perfected when Jesus is at the head of it and is there to straighten things out). does to the truth.

I read my patriarchal blessing and feel those feelings, and I'm not sure... I am in between if it's true or not.

By golly, if I could laugh at Dravin's revision of my post, I would. But I did not realize that a casual mention of, oh, I don't know, let's say the PotUS, somehow counted as discussing a candidate.

I blinked at my screen trying to figure out why you gave him the name you did. Thanks for the clarification.

I guess you'll have to stick with someone in SCotUS from now on.

Some of us gain testimonies in different ways. Some of us may have that "aha moment" when you feel overcome by the spirit all of a sudden. A loving feeling that tugs at your heart and brings clarity to your mind and overcomes you with emotion. Maybe however, it could be like me. I just suddenly realized one day that what I have been taught all my life has always rung true to me . I guess I had been having the aha moments a little at a time after learning line by line, precept upon precept all my life. I guess that I didn't always take the time to notice it as much, but the Holy Ghost had been confirming it to me all along. If I was more open to listening while praying, and not just talking I would have felt the spirit confirming these things to me earlier. As for the scriptures the Book of Mormon does not contradict the Bible. The interpretations WE make are what is clouded. Sometimes we may not like what is being said, and want to dismiss those parts. Always, if you want more clarification, ask your Bishop, and listen more closely to the church leaders at the conferences. Finally, as for being together; To continue to be together as a "family" beyond this life, The Lord has told us we need to have those ordinances which are necessary. One is baptism, as no unclean thing can enter the kingdom of heaven. Baptism cleanses us. Another is to have those ordinances which seal families together. What God has joined together, let not man put asunder. Has God joined your family together? Then it is we who are keeping our family apart. These things have to be done by God's authority. Back to gaining a testimony. The reason you may not feel that you can gain one is possibly you are unwilling to accept some of the answers to your questions. Trust in Christ when you pray, and accept his answers and not your ideas.

Edited by ldrkholt

I once used to doubt what I was feeling and wasn't sure if it was all in my head. My first experience with gaining a testimony of god was when I was very young. I think around 11 or 12. I wanted to know why my friends my age where crying as they received the priesthood and why I never experienced what they where experiencing. I knew from when I was growing up that the adults talked about feeling the spirit and they would cry so when i saw my friends cry the same way as i have always seen in church I got sad and wanted to experience the same thing. I wondered why haven't I felt what they are feeling.

One day my sunday school teacher told me if you want to feel the holy ghost just pray about it and you will receive an answer. So as I went home I prayed about what was the holy ghost I hardly remember what I said but right after my prayer something amazing happened, I suddenly felt this peace and felt a strong feeling of love for me in my heart and my mind became clear. I was so happy to feel this and even though I don't remember when i felt this ever before I felt as if I had felt this amazing peace, love, and clarity before. I so do miss this happiness. I used to get said if I didnt feel it. I would miss it little by little as I read the scriptures I would feel that same peace maybe not as strong but it was there in my heart. I would read and find joy in it.

My favorite story in which i felt the spirit was when i read the story of Ammon and how he was a faithful and humble man. What stroked me most about the story was when the servants told the king that he attended the horses and was preparing them for him. That loyalty unto the lord to show a example unto his children touched me so greatly in my heart that I begin to really admired on what he was doing. I wanted to be that servant unto many and show my love for them and have that love in my heart from my father.

As I fell away from the church I begin to doubt what i was feeling and wasn't sure if it was in my head. I did things that opend up my mind to cause me to realize it was not in my head and what i was experiencing was genuine and as i went back to church at 23 even after my family fell away when i was 14 and i had a testimony before that. I am the only one in my family that still trys to go. I fell away again but trying to get back into it because i dont have a shadow of a doubt that the church is not true. I did my research and found that everything points right back at the church confirming to me that it is my saviors church.

I also had miracles happened that just complimented my testimony and even before that my insight of things are deep and i can perceive things that alow me to see the world in a deep way and my lord blessed me with that. I do hope that this helps. i want to bare more but i am busy. Later ill let you know more of my testimony and how it brings happiness to my life when I'm obeying what the lord wants out of me.

Edited by Servitude