Masons????

Luna-in-love

This will be a sore spot for you if he joins and you can't support him, especially if he wants to pay his dues, and you aren't fond of your joint money going to a group you don't support.

That's not even a question. I love and support him beyond that. :) The problem is not him, it's ME. I am the one who needs to learn to trust Masons. :rolleyes:

One of the reasons why I dont see a point in joining this organisation is that I think there is enough (and even more than enough) service, charity, knowledge in the church. So why not devote spare time to service in the true church, rather than to some questionable organisation. (or watching TV for that matter). :confused:

If we are to look to the Church for being the only source of charity work, I think we can run into problems. We can immediately get involved in our community, or (unless our particular ward/stake/branch is constantly coming up with things to do) we can wait around for Sister or Brother So-n-So to ask to volunteer for such and such. I don't believe the Church is the only source of service.

What am I saying is that, unless your husband is neglecting the church, this could be a good way to increase his service rather than detract from it.

That's not even a question. I love and support him beyond that. :) The problem is not him, it's ME. I am the one who needs to learn to trust Masons. :rolleyes:

I personally believe that there have been a lot of answers given to the many questions that you have, and have been given a reason to "trust" Masonry. It is not a nefarious, world ruling power, but until you decide to see it for what it is, you will always distrust it.

One of the reasons why I dont see a point in joining this organisation is that I think there is enough (and even more than enough) service, charity, knowledge in the church. So why not devote spare time to service in the true church, rather than to some questionable organisation. (or watching TV for that matter). :confused:

I have a difficult time seeing the "true church" having a monopoly on service. And if I can use a little hyperbole; have you discussed with your fiance that you won't be having a TV in the house, except on General Conference weekends, that if you two play a musical instrument it will only by hymns, that there will be no reading of books or magazines that cannot be purchased at Deseret Book, or that if there is a car broken down on the side of the road, unless you're on special assignment from the church to do so, you're not going to help them. Like I said a little bit of hyperbole but it illustrates a perceived flaw in your argument.

If I may be so bold, one of your "problems" with Masonry is, at least inferred from your post, is that you still see Masonry as a psuedo-religion. I infer this from the point of "...service in the true church." The blunt truth is that Masonry is not a religion, it never takes itself to be a replacement for religion, nor does it offer salvation to members of the fraternity. It does have certain religious overtones, prayer for examples, but so does the Boy Scouts of America, an organization that the Church is tied to (for better or worse in my opinion). As has been pointed out before; Joseph Smith Jr., Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, Willard Richards and many more were members of the Masonic Lodge in Nauvoo. I have a difficult time that the most faithful of Saints (If I may be so bold to call them that), especially during the tumultuous times that were the Nauvoo era, would join a group that didn't offer some benefit to their lives, and an edification of their spirituality. In short, if Joseph felt alright with it than I can feel alright with it.

I personally believe that there have been a lot of answers given to the many questions that you have, and have been given a reason to "trust" Masonry. It is not a nefarious, world ruling power, but until you decide to see it for what it is, you will always distrust it.

I have a difficult time seeing the "true church" having a monopoly on service. And if I can use a little hyperbole; have you discussed with your fiance that you won't be having a TV in the house, except on General Conference weekends, that if you two play a musical instrument it will only by hymns, that there will be no reading of books or magazines that cannot be purchased at Deseret Book, or that if there is a car broken down on the side of the road, unless you're on special assignment from the church to do so, you're not going to help them. Like I said a little bit of hyperbole but it illustrates a perceived flaw in your argument.

Chubbs, you answered ALL of my questions so far. Biggest thing is that if the Church doesnt have a problem with it - I dont have a problem with it. It just takes time for me and I have to see it "from within" and "in practice"

I think you misunderstood my comment about service though. I never said that church is the ONLY place of service. Actually, the first one is family.

I just think having a family (especially with children) there are soo many opportunities for service. Second source is the church. (and by service in the church I dont mean just callings, but also service outside the church that the church organizes - like "Mormon helping hands").

As with all "secret societies" (LDS included!) there is a lot of rumor and innuendo by those who are not part of the group. (Is this not true of any group?)

Masons do not worship one another or worship the grand lodge. Truth be known, anyone is welcome to join if they are 1. adult male, 2. not atheist.

I find this to be very interesting. As a student of world religions, I am familiar with a disagreement among Buddhists. Some say they believe in a God, and others do not. Those who *do*, believe in a God much like Mormons do, that he is a perfected man. :-) I love how Freemasons allow for the Buddhists that believe in God. :D

Lodges are referred to as Blue Lodges and constitute the first 3 degrees. Lodges are based on the Temple of Solomon and there are many similarities to LDS teachings and it is in no way incompatible. Also Masonry lodges are not like meeting halls in that there is no sacrament, speakers etc. More like who we will be donating our charity to this month, this year.. new scholarships, etc.

I am a 32° Master Mason, and it isn't the big deal people make it out to be. ;)

As you state above, there are only 3 degrees (Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, Master) in the Blue lodge. So it was a different yet related organization that conferred the 32° - I would guess the Scottish Rite. I was once a member of the SRRS(Scottish Rite Research Society), FWIW. Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, S.J., U.S.A.: Frequently Asked Questions

Another very common ancillary organization is the York Rite. This group had a huge impact on Joseph Smith Jr. and his work of restoring the Church. It is here that we find reference to the Melchizedek priesthood and the roles of "Prophet, Priest and King".

Today's Freemasonic organizations are dwindling and may even disappear, which would be a great tragedy. Freemasonry has long been a steadying and beneficial group for society. And like the church, it has always been straddling a line between spirituality and earthly concerns. When one of these has needed strengthening in our society, the Masons have stepped forward to provide what was needed. The founding of our nation. The settling of the Wild West.

After WWII, many, many men joined the lodges of Freemasonry, but it was for brotherhood alone for the most part. Many of these men didn't particularly have any spiritual depth in their lives. I have friends who have joined their local lodges fairly recently and have been saddened to see that there is (and has been since the 50's) very little interest in learning spiritual truths that are to be found abundantly within Freemasonry.

Masonic symbolism doesn't resonate with their spirits. Some seek and find "Esoteric" lodges, but in many areas these don't exist. Many LDS similarly struggle with our own temple symbolism, not understanding that method of instruction and teaching.

I have not violated any rules posting this information and the information is freely available. The only secrets around nowadays are those of our own as LDS, and even most of them are online somewhere. Just beware of misinformation.

I hope that was helpful.

:)

Edited by HiJolly