A very important question...

Because men, generally speaking, think differently than women. It's right there in your description, if I would to give a fellow quorum member a gift I'd never describe it as a cute gift, I might conceivably describe it as a goodie. Of course I'm a little bit of an oddball in liking to bake.

Relief Society: Brownie mix in a jar complete with poem/cute story.

Elder's Quorum: Offers to let you borrow his chainsaw.

Edited by Dravin

My husband says it's silly for the RS to do such stuff, but he always seems to enjoy any treats I receive. Right now I'm sure he's happily munching away on the hodge-podged mason jar of skittles I received for the "July Sisters Birthdays" gift that prompted a discussion that prompted this question.

And the ones I brought to work were half-eaten by our IT guy who was fixing my computer. But I said he could have as many as he wanted.

Proably the same reason that the instructor in RS might very well have handout and center pieces that go along with the lesson and the instructor in Elders will not

But why DOESN'T the insctructor makes a handout and a centerpiece?

Hidden

Why do you need a centerpiece to teach the gospel? For that matter, what does some cutsie little quote on a piece of paper do to help understanding the Gospel?

I'm picturing the Savior pulling out a backpack with handouts and setting up an small table to put some flowers and a small easel on complete with a painting during his Sermon on the mount. To be fair there can be value in the handouts and a themed centerpiece, but they aren't required.

The reason the instructor doesn't make them is they don't think it's needed. I've been in Gospel Doctrine classes where handouts and center pieces are used and I've been in classes where they aren't. I've never felt the lesson was lacking due to a absence of handout or centerpiece.

Now what does matter is preparation, both on the instructors the class member's part. In the case of the former someone who goes through all the trouble of center pieces and handouts has clearly prepared well, but I've also seen examples where the center pieces and handouts weren't well prepared. So it's kind of a mix.

Why do you need a centerpiece to teach the gospel? For that matter, what does some cutsie little quote on a piece of paper do to help understanding the Gospel?

I'm picturing the Savior pulling out a backpack with handouts and setting up an small table to put some flowers and a small easel on complete with a painting during his Sermon on the mount. To be fair there can be value in the handouts and visual aids, but they aren't required.

The reason the instructor doesn't make them is they don't think it's needed. I've been in Gospel Doctrine classes where handouts and center pieces are used and I've been in classes where they aren't. I've never felt the lesson was lacking due to a absence of handout or centerpiece.

Now what does matter is preparation, both on the instructors and the class member's part. In the case of the former someone who goes through all the trouble of center pieces and handouts has prepared, but I've also seen examples where the center pieces and handouts weren't evidence of preparation being done well. And sometimes you find people spend so much time on the handouts and visual aids* that it seems preparation could have better been spent on the core of the lesson. So it's kind of a mix.

*A centerpiece is just there to look pretty, a visual aid is used to develop or enhance the lesson. A vase with flowers or a picture of Christ leaning against the podium but not mentioned is a 'centerpiece', it's just there to look pretty. A diagram on the board, for example, that explains a concept is a visual aid.

Cutesy bits and pieces aren't necessary in teaching the gospel but sometimes it's a way to gain interest IN the gospel. In YWs it always seemed that we were more in tune when there were tangible items that correlated to the lesson, as opposed to just sitting there listening to a lot of talking. I'm a hands-on and visually stimulated person, I learn best when surrounded by things I can touch and pretty things to look at. I think for some, cutesy tidbits can be a great teaching tool and method to keep interest.

I have personally never bothered with a handout or centerpiece when I've taught lessons--because I agree, they aren't really necessary.

But thinking about it... a nice atmosphere does help put in the right frame of mind to learn.

I still don't understand the out-of-church treats and pretties, though. But I like them.

Why is that Relief Society sisters will bring a cute gift or goodie to a sister for little more than no good reason and the Priesthood quorum doesn't do anything the least bit cute ever for a brother?

It's beaten out of us in public school at a very young age.

Cutesy bits and pieces aren't necessary in teaching the gospel but sometimes it's a way to gain interest IN the gospel. In YWs it always seemed that we were more in tune when there were tangible items that correlated to the lesson, as opposed to just sitting there listening to a lot of talking. I'm a hands-on and visually stimulated person, I learn best when surrounded by things I can touch and pretty things to look at. I think for some, cutesy tidbits can be a great teaching tool and method to keep interest.

My experience in teaching YW is that they are very VERY distracted by the cutsie stuff one may bring to visually stimulate someone. I'm not talking about using diagrams or other thing. I'm talking about using pictures, statues, other items to "brighten" up the table.

We had one guest speaker for YW a couple of months ago. Her topic was talking about what it means to be a woman of God. She brought in quilts, flowers, personal framed pics, shoes, etc. to decorate the table. I'm not sure the girls (or me) got anything out of her lesson other than she has some really cute shoes.

You know how we don't have activity committee anymore. Now, the auxiliaries take turns doing an activity. Yeah, EQ doing an activity is - Relief Society provide the food, EQ takes out the chairs and tables, announce the activity in church. Clean Up afterwards. Done. Relief Society activity is - RS provide the food, RS sets up the hall complete with center pieces and table cloths and twinkling lights strung up overhead. RS prepares a programme of some kind. Printed invitation cards with magnet get passed at church. Emails gets sent out. Activity gets announced at church.... etc. etc. etc.

Beefche, your point is a valid one. I can see where you're coming from. For me, I had a hard enough time trying to stay remotely interested in any lesson given in church. The tangible additions were always a nice tough, I thought, and held my attention where I was willing to tune in and see what the lesson was about.

Most men just aren't that creative when it comes to giving lessons. We are assigned our duties, study them and deliver on our assignments.

Now, in the Blacks in the Scriptures sticky, I have a lesson that I did on the subject. While it's in an audio format, you can tell that I had to use a lot of visual aids. Most people are visual and I wanted the lesson to memorable. So, I used Lehi's Vision of the Tree of Life as my outline/foundation for the lesson and worked in the "Mists of Darkness" for this particular issue and how the scriptures can help us work through our own misunderstandings.

But most lessons don't require that much imagination... or have that much controversy on our doctrines. The lessons are more of character and duty... so how does one go about "illustrating" that?

Meh, as a RS teacher for several years I never did any of that stuff. I preferred to put my effort into the lesson. Since I only taught once a month I would typically get a "reminder call" from one of the presidency to remind me that it was my week, and she would ask me if I had a center piece prepared! After saying "No" many many many times, they finally just made sure they put a vase of silk flowers from the RS closet on the table the weeks that I taught. :lol: (but I was still the favorite teacher ^_^ )

I think this describes some sentiments...

Posted Image

Where's the laugh button!? :animatedlol:

I've taught in many, many classes in Sunday School, Primary, Elder's Quorum, etc over the years and never used a center piece. I will use an object lesson on occasion to drive a point home, usually with children or adolescents. With adults, experiences seem to spark the imagination and the soul more effectively.

For example, if a lesson is keeping our eye single to God's glory, laboring in His vineyard, etc, I will get the Elders to share experiences with hunting/camping etc, if they've ever used binoculars or better yet a scope. When you look at or for something in the distance, you have to focus the instrument until everything else moves out of the field of view or out of focus. Only then is your targeted object in view with sharp clarity. I liken this to keeping your eye single.

With kids, I'll actually bring a scope and let them focus on something out the window in the distance. This gives them something to associate the lesson with and they are better able to retain the point of the lesson.

One time years ago, one ward I was in had an Elder's Quorum instructor, a decent guy. He always made center pieces for his lessons and used objects to teach, too. I don't know about the other Elders, but I always thought that maybe his wife prepared his lessons for him. I don't remember what the lessons were about. I just remember he always brought "cutesy" stuff to decorate the table with.