Hello, should I become a Mormon?

Zach

Hello,

I'm a teenage Catholic who doubts his faith. I don't feel I could ever accept Catholicism or Protestantism, but I could never leave Christianity. So when I heard about the Joseph Smith story I fell in love. I felt kind of relate able because when Joseph was 14 he was confused about which denomination he should join. Another thing I like about Mormons is that they have God involved when people doubt their faith. If I asked a Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, or whatever they would give you reasons why you should join their church. And threaten you with hellfire if you don't join. When you ask Mormons they would simply ask you to read the Book of Mormon and then with a sincere heart, faith in God, and in the name of Jesus the Lord and savior. The Father will send the Holy spirit down to comfort you and assure you that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true Church of Christ.

So I was just wondering if you guys could explain to me if I am able to become a Mormon and how I could.

Thank You

If you can? Everyone is welcome.

How? You already outlined.....

When you ask Mormons they would simply ask you to read the Book of Mormon and then with a sincere heart, faith in God, and in the name of Jesus the Lord and savior.

After that you would want to contact some missionaries or just someone in your local ward and they will walk you through the process of baptism etc.

As for "should you", only you can answer that. I suggest a lot of introspection and prayer.

Of my personal experience I would say the following to you: The church is perfect; their members unfortunately not!

I give you my testimony, that I know that the Book of Mormon, like the Bible, is the word of God. I know it because I asked God for an answer. I also know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God because all his prophecies were fulfilled. Joseph Smith was not perfect, but, if he speak as a mouthpiece of God, it was the word ofGod for that time then. So how Thomas Monson is the living prophet now.

I only ask you for three things:

1. Study the Book of Mormon and ask God whether it is true.

2. Visit a church in your area and talk with the missionaries and the members.

3. Inform yourself about the church and their teachings

Then you will attain a testimony and know whether this is the church of Jesus Christ. And you will know whether you would like to have yourself been baptized.

If you are under 18, you will have to get permission from your parents or wait. I recommend waiting unless they are supportive. You can still involve yourself with Mormon friends without being a member, and then just wait until your family comes around.

You're right. I forgot the whole age thing.

He had to wait if his parents are against the church. But he can get a testimony before.

My advice to the OP is that you ought to:

1. Learn God's will for you by listening to the Holy Spirit and continue to build a relationship with God.

2. Study out The Book of Mormon and learn about our doctrines. Ask God to help you learn if they are of His ways.

3. Honor your parents regardless of their decision for you until you are of age to make your own religious decisions and practice your convictions.

4. Continue to live in accordance with the way that God would want you to live.

That's the best I've got for you.

You are right about involving God in your decision. It has to be your decision. Part of life is agency. No one can tell you why you have to do something or that you just have to. Especially with religion. It needs to be what you feel good about. What is religion if it is not something you truly believe? To me, religion has little meaning if you don't feel it is right, and if you don't feel it is what you are, and who you are. I love this scripture from the Book of Mormon for this. Moroni 10: 4-5

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the btruth of all things.

For the entire chapter, you can see it here: Moroni 10 

I would encourage anybody to become a member of the LDS church, but only when they truly believe the unique doctrines we hold dear. The Book of Mormon is a great first step, and as others have said, meeting with the missionaries will help you greatly with the rest. I would also recommend praying to Heavenly Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, for help and guidance. As you begin to exercise your faith, the answers you seek will come to you through the Holy Ghost.

May God be with you always

zach,

Now that would be up to how you feel. Talk to the Missionaries first and see what they say and how you feel. Only you can make that choice and take what path you have in front of you at this time. I wish you the best of luck on your journey in your questions. Yes and pray about it, God hears all prayers.

I have had my prayers, even my request. answered. I remember i was in some one of a bad predictament truck is broken down on a very heavy congested road in Vancouver. I bow my head down in desperation asked for help. That very second, 40 miles from my old ward, in a city over 1 million people, my name was shouted out across the street. a member yelled my name out and asked if I needed help. I was shocked but not to much. To often, these things happen to me. Call them answered prayers, visions "told my wife of the impending Christmas day earthquake in 2004" and so on.

The most wonderful thing about this church is it is non judgmental. The people never say bad things about people and it is a very peaceful place to practice what you believe in.

I think the best answer you could get is to pray, find helpful Bible verses that you can relate to or can help you, and search your heart and discern if joining the church is what would make you happy or happier. Personally, I've had no problems with the church whatsoever. it's a wonderful church. Missionaries welcome you and anyone. They'll definitely help you.