Having Trouble

Darcy23

I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the right and best church. I just don't think I am good enough to be Mormon. I know a lot about mormonism. I love the mormon church. I love the way of life, the message, the people in it. But I smoke cigarettes. I lust, I lust so much. I get a lot of attention from young women and am good at avoiding situations where I will fall prey to temptation but I have given in many times in the past and I have trouble forgiving myself for it. It seems the culture here is not friendly to young men who struggle not to give in to lust. I have a million opportunities to make something out of my life, to take advantage of my talents and my ambitions, but I feel lost. I feel a need to belong to a community of like-minded people. The mormons I've known seem like those kind of people. The mormon lifestyle and teachings seem so incredibly enlightened and positive to me. I just honestly don't know if I can live up to the standard of behaviour required to be a member of the church. I have a lot of pride. I am something of an intellectual. I have trouble submitting to authority.

I would really appreciate some help with these problems/concerns.

I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the right and best church. I just don't think I am good enough to be Mormon. I know a lot about mormonism. I love the mormon church. I love the way of life, the message, the people in it. But I smoke cigarettes. I lust, I lust so much. I get a lot of attention from young women and am good at avoiding situations where I will fall prey to temptation but I have given in many times in the past and I have trouble forgiving myself for it. It seems the culture here is not friendly to young men who struggle not to give in to lust. I have a million opportunities to make something out of my life, to take advantage of my talents and my ambitions, but I feel lost. I feel a need to belong to a community of like-minded people. The mormons I've known seem like those kind of people. The mormon lifestyle and teachings seem so incredibly enlightened and positive to me. I just honestly don't know if I can live up to the standard of behaviour required to be a member of the church. I have a lot of pride. I am something of an intellectual. I have trouble submitting to authority.

Greetings!

Well let me say a couple things...

Christ said he came to heal the sick and the wounded- i think if you stick around long enough to get to know folks in the church, that you will find that most people who have a strong testimony have either been broken, or had to go through serious hardship at one point or another. Many of us still struggle, trust me you would not be an oddball in our church by a long shot.

As for the culture it can be fun, wacky, weird, and sometimes annoying as all get out. But its different from ward to ward.

To be honest the standard of the church is actually given in the bible, and its a doozy; Christ has told us to be perfect.... Unfortunately not many of us will be able to accomplish before we die. So christ gave us something to help us; his Atonement. All of us are at differnt points on the path he set, and all of us travel at different paces. I really doubt youll come last, and likely not first... And probably like the rest of us, somewhere in the middle.

We'd love to have you join... But the best reason for joining is knowing in your heart that it is the right thing to do. And that takes prayer and sacrifice and some determination.

Welcome again and looking forward to your posts.

(by the way you sound a little like me)

PS the way to win this race is not by finishing first but getting back up every time you stumble.

Edited by Blackmarch

I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the right and best church. I just don't think I am good enough to be Mormon.

Most of us aren't good enough to be Mormon either:

Mormon, Nephite Prophet:

A Nephite prophet, military general, and record keeper in the Book of Mormon. Mormon lived about 311–385 A.D. (Morm. 1:2, 6; 6:5–6; 8:2–3). He was a military leader for most of his life, beginning at age fifteen (Morm. 2:1–2; 3:8–12; 5:1; 8:2–3). Ammaron instructed Mormon to prepare himself to take charge of the records and record keeping (Morm. 1:2–5; 2:17–18). After recording the history of his own lifetime, Mormon abridged the large plates of Nephi on the plates of Mormon. He later turned this sacred record over to his son Moroni. These plates were part of the record from which Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon.

Don't have any advice for you per se, but here's one to think about, ponder and study:

Alma 48:17

17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.

Thank you Blackmarch and Skippy740.

I believe Christ forgives me for my sins. I repent very deeply and honestly every time I sin. But I know I have to become a member of a church and the mormon church seems to be the church which most closely follows the bible. I like many churches, see positives in all of them, but after studying the mormon church for a couple of years, listening to endless general conference talks and praying about it, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints seems like the right church.

I had romantic feelings for a young mormon woman. She tried with all her effort to bring me into the church. She was the most marvellous example of Christian virtue I have ever encountered. She really followed the church doctrines and was not tempted to abandon her faith in the Book of Mormon even though her feelings for me were so strong. It was in listening to her and trying to argue against her that I cam to know the mormon church quite well. But I hated it before. For a year or so I deeply hated the church. I was even rude to a bishop on the phone. And now I know that if I try to join I will be accepted and welcomed. I know how the church takes such good care of converts. But I was so blasphemous against the church its hard for me to come to terms with this 180 I've done. And its not fleeting. I've wanted to be mormon since I first learned about it.

I just know from her example how incredibly pious mormons are expected to be. I don't think its because mormons are crazy or anything. I think its because mormons follow Jesus' teachings most closely out of all churches. For two years I've looked at the mormon church with a kind of longing, like if I were a better man I would be at home among LDS.

I'm going to try. I will read the book of mormon in its entirety and then pray. I contacted the LDS website service which alerts local missionaries and they should be coming to see me soon.

Anymore encouragement or advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Darcy23

You're disillusioned if you're under the impression that you give into temptation anymore than anyone else. We all fall short somewhere, and we will never be perfect in this lifetime. The gospel has been given to us as a tool to become more Christ-like but we will never be free of temptation or sin. The important thing to remember is that the Lord loves us all unconditionally, and with a compassionate heart. He is always there to listen, through the good - the bad - the ugly - if we only humble ourselves and call upon Him for guidance. You won't live life without making mistakes but through prayer, humility and repentance, we can achieve a more Christ like attitude bit by bit. As one's testimony strengthens, and you become in tune with the Spirit, your ability to stand up for what you know to be "right", will be less wavering.

You're disillusioned if you're under the impression that you give into temptation anymore than anyone else. We all fall short somewhere, and we will never be perfect in this lifetime. The gospel has been given to us as a tool to become more Christ-like but we will never be free of temptation or sin. The important thing to remember is that the Lord loves us all unconditionally, and with a compassionate heart. He is always there to listen, through the good - the bad - the ugly - if we only humble ourselves and call upon Him for guidance. You won't live life without making mistakes but through prayer, humility and repentance, we can achieve a more Christ like attitude bit by bit. As one's testimony strengthens, and you become in tune with the Spirit, your ability to stand up for what you know to be "right", will be less wavering.

Wow. Very well put. Thank you.

I face temptation wherever I go. I am known as a celebrity lookalike and an artist in my own right. I sing, do martial arts, write, speak very confidently. The only young woman who ever really encouraged me to be a good young man and be Christ-like was a Mormon. I don't talk to her anymore, she does not live near me, but I will forever be blessed by the example and the council she gave me. She was not perfect, but she faced such incredible temptation by me and by her non-church friends, temptation to forsake her beliefs, and nothing, I mean nothing, could get her to waver in the slightest. I know mormons are not perfect, but it seems they try hardest, and have the best teachings and organization, to get people to follow Christ.

I come from a broken home. My peers mainly come from broken homes. Every time I listen to a general conference talk or look at the example of Mormons I see a great effort to undo this sad social trend.

I feel much trepidation in trying to become mormon because I have been influenced by family members and thinkers and peers to look at the Mormon Church as wrong. But I don't like alcohol, I don't like being around young women who are not walking with Jesus, and so I am looked upon as odd anyway. My friends think I don't like them because I don't like to go drinking with them. Some people think I'm homosexual because I get so much attention from young women but I almost never give in. I do not think members of other churches are bad, but it just seems like so many of them give in to temptation more than Mormons do.

Becoming mormon when your family and friends are ultra-non mormon, in fact laugh at and hate the church, is really tough. But I believe its the right thing to do. I hope God gives me the courage to go all the way and abandon my great pride.

Be steadfast in your beliefs.

I also wanted to say that even here on these forums, we have members that joined the church, despite being disowned by family and friends. Unfortunately, it's not all that uncommon. You seem to have an open heart. Go with that, and listen to what the missionaries have to say, then continue with your own study and prayer :]

I don't care about what my family and friends think because I know that within the church I will be accepted. I know how the mormon church works. If you have a genuine testimony and you take part in church activities and you allow the church culture to work for you it is a great blessing. Even though the church is mainstream it still offers a kind of culture within the culture. Mormons take care of other mormons. I don't think I'm romanticizing it. Its what I've observed from knowing some mormons.

I want my family, the woman I marry and the kids we have, to have the kind of pious life I wish my parents, myself and my brothers would have had. I do not want my children to grow up in a broken home. I want them to grow up happy and healthy and with a steadfast love and worship of Jesus Christ.

Your circumstances seem like it makes it hard for you. Temptation is likely pushed at you a lot. I also struggle a lot against temptation but I am in a much different career path. Satan pushes evil at you as you seek to follow the LORD. I think he is trying to convince you to abandon truth by discouragement saying it is too hard. Do your best to live according to truth and pray to be delivered from temptation.

Hello, Darcy23;

We're all rooting for you here and hoping the best for you.

I strongly believe that, through the atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ, you can do this. I have a profound testimony of the strength of the atonement acting in my life to help me quit smoking and resist being "lustful." I was able to quit years ago for several years through a priesthood blessing. It was a miraculous healing. I would suggest that you ask for a priesthood blessing from the missionaries who are coming to visit you or the bishop of the ward (another word for different mormon congregations) you live in.

Know that you are a wonderful person whom God knows personally and loves dearly. He will guide and direct you to your correct path. I also believe that He will give you the strength to overcome those things that are keeping you from being able to be baptized in the LDS church. This is the true church of Jesus Christ.

Please, read the Book of Mormon and pray to know if it is true. Seek all the support and help you can get from other LDS members. Most of all, seek the help of God in doing the best things for you and what will make you the happiest~It will come, with diligent patience. You can do this!

The best,

Dove

I have trouble submitting to authority.

You had parents who told you what is right or wrong. Parents who wanted to protect you from faults. Mistakes which did your parents perhaps once by themselves.

The authorities of the church are similar like your parents. They want to protect you from faults and wrong decisions. But whatever your parents or the church leaders identically tell to you; it is your decision whether you want to take their advice. You then also must take the responsibility for your decision.

These are the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ:

1. Faith

2. Repentance

3. Baptism

4. Laying on of Hands to receive the Holy Ghost - when this occurs, something wonderful happens - The Holy Ghost will be your constant guide and companion. He will be there for you, He can be a source of strength and comfort to you.

5. Endure to the End

You are a child of our Heavenly Father and He loves you. When you come to realize that the Atonement of Jesus Christ applies personally to you, as well as universally to all of our Heavenly Father's children, you will find a joy and happiness that simply put, words cannot explain.

Don't think of yourself as unworthy of His church, instead think of all the things He did for you to be a part of His church on earth. Serve Jesus Christ with all of your might, mind, and strength, and I promise - you will be a changed person! I know this to be true because I've experienced it myself.

As you serve our Savior in His church, you will experience a change of heart - like the Sons of Mosiah in the Book of Mormon. It is my prayer that you find this out for yourself.

Love and peace to you.

I appreciate everyone's well wishes and encouragement but I think its hopeless. Me in a Mormon Church would really be an odd, heinously odd thing. I'm notorious around here as a fighter and womanizer. I chain-smoke cigarettes and drink a pot of coffee everyday. If I became mormon I would be excommunicated within a month or two, and no mormon woman would want to date me.

I'll probably wind up being Catholic. I'm sorry for bothering everyone. Thank you very much for trying. I applaud you all for your faith, kindness and discipline.